Jackson Rescued (pics)

That poor chameleon sure looks like it needs a lot of care. I am glad he is now with the two of you. Keep us updated on how he is doing & good luck.

Thank you everyone fo the kind words and support. Stacy and I have been involved in rescue for about Ten years now and no where else has community support been as strong as here.

He really is a testament to how hardy these little guys can be. I will be happy once he is all healthy and off to a permanent home.

Thanks again and we will keep posted and possibly pics of the lancing.

Gpmo (him)

Got some new pics that show a bit more. He has gained some weight and is looking much more hydrated.
His toes look horrible.
web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

And one of our F. Lateralis girl just cause.
web.jpg

Please try and ignore the one strand of my hair that i missed somehow..I will do a search but in case someone wants to answer what is average weight of an adult male Jackson.

Gpmo (him)

rescued jackson's

cant believe i didnt notice this post earlier. i am really suprized he made it as long as he did. sounds like you are doing an excellent job with him. my adult male weighs about 51 grams but he is sort of a picky eater and sort of a slender guy, i have certainly seen them much larger. i have noticed that mouth problems are common with dehydrated xanths, food likes to get caught in either the back corners of their mouth, or between the lip and gums, and if there is not enough occasional fluid to rinse it out, it will abcess, often the abscess will just clear up on its own, if the affected, area gets sufficiently rinsed out. a good tool for doing that is a curved tip dental stringe, what looks like a scab may actually be the debris that started it, so, if it is at all seperated, i would rinse or scrub to get it out of there. to scrub a mouth area i take a q tip the type with a paper body , take all of the cotton off of the end the soak and mash the end , it makes a great little cham toothbrush for stubborn pieces that dont want to rinse. he does look somewhat edemic, but not severly so. given his history it might be a good idea to do blood work, if you have not already done so. i feel confident good husbandry will eventually reverse the majority of his symtoms, but somethings obviously need additional help, so it is outstanding that you are willing to step up to the plate with vetcare and all, hats off to you. feel free to contact if i can be of any specific help. / edit/ according to adcham http://adcham.com/html/taxonomy/species/chjacksonixanth.html the weights of adult xanths are typically 80g for an adult male - over 150g for a large gravid female. that sort of leaves a lot to interpretation. i would also be interested to know what other members adult male xanths weighed? jmo

Last edited:
We had preliminary exam on him so far. It was descided to wait for blood work untill he was a bit healthier and we weren't constantly stressing him with visits to the vet.

As you said Xanthoman the abscess on the lip appears to be clearing itself up, and it looks more like a small scab. He gets tons of water right now, we have his enclosure propped up in the tub off the floor so he is at about eye height with me so 6' something. Even the toes are looking alot better.

I am glad to hear that 51g isn't so bad. Any other thoughts are welcome also. Thanks for your response.

Gpmo (him)

Quick update.

The abscess on his lip is healing up just like Xanthoman said it may do. He is currently doing a full shed which is great.

We took him outside this week to enjoy some natural sun and it seemed to perk him up a lot. He is weighing in now at a healthy 90g and colors are great. Will get some pics this weekend or just click the link in our signature.

And it seems he has a permanent home after the docs give the go ahead. :)

Gpmo (him)

Great news! You guys deserve a big dose of cham karma for saving that little guy from a lifetime of abuse. Amazing how much they can turn around with proper care.

Well we just recieved a clean bill of health and a ready to travel from the doc here. This little guy is a tank, just amazing to me.

He will be getting shipped off to his new home early next week and we are happy but sad to see him go. There will be some final pics from us in this thread but there are alot in our signature link.

Thanks for all the support and kind words. Looks like our quarantine cage just opened up again. :)

Gpmo (us)

Awh poor little guy. Chameleons are such nice creatures. It kills me to see them like that. Good luck with him I hope he makes a full recovery.

His new home is all ready and waiting. i just can't wait for him to arrive. The two of you have made fantastic progress with, I just hope I can do as well. I can't thank you enough!!!

off to lauries

He will be getting shipped off to his new home early next week and we are happy but sad to see him go. Gpmo (us)
if its any consolation, he is going to to be in excellent hands, probably one of the better long term homes you could have found for him. neglect will not be an issue. and hats off to you for getting him well enough to send him there. with the endless stream of rescued chams, its so refreshing to hear of a rescue that actually worked out well. jmo

Last edited:
if its any consolation, he is going to to be in excellent hands, probably one of the better long term homes you could have found for him. neglect will not be an issue. and hats off to you for getting him well enough to send him there. with the endless stream of rescued chams, its so refreshing to hear of a rescue that actually worked out well. jmo

Thanks John, I hope I can live up to your kind works. If not it won't be for lack of trying.

here are some pics of the little man as promised :) We couldn't be any happier that he is going to Laurie!

just after a drink
web.jpg

getting mad!
web.jpg

Good morning!
web.jpg

Thanks for all your kind words of support, and thanks Laurie for providing a wonderful forever home for this special little man!

gpmo (us)

Awww! He's gorgeous! Did Laurie tell you that she's moving in with me? You'd better send him to my house ready for her arrival! ;) :D:D:D Just kidding! Laurie will be a wonderful Chamele-Mum for him!:D

What a wonderful feel-good thread. That little guy looks like a million bucks. Congrats Laurie, and hats off to everyone involved in the rescue/recovery.

Back
Top Bottom