I'm afraid my baby is dying.

Cuz when I asked about why my cham was on the ground he wasnt one of the 2 people I asked about it. The owner and the other guy come to find out are the 2 that have a lot of experience with chams. I guess I asked the guys that put water in dishes and crickets in bags. Im giving an example of one species that still has issues with cfl. The owner of the reptile store I go to still has problems with cfl's and the chams even after the whole "cfl being fixed" myth. Sells jacksons, ambilobes, nosy bes, nosy falys, sambavas, and of course veileds. Im sure it has been improved, but its obviously causing issues still.

well if it were my chameleon, he would have been the FIRST person I would have gone to for an answer. Surely he would have known why your chameleon was on the ground. What a shame..... You said these people know about the forums...have them come on here and tell us about the cfl's and all the problems they are having with their chameleons. Would love to hear what they are experiencing and what brands they are using. btw why is he still even using the cfl's then?

Ferretinmyshoes....I will check that link out, thank you. I know how important it is and also know that I am still very novice at best about it. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction and I will be getting better gutloading items tomorrow!

Ferretinmyshoes....I will check that link out, thank you. I know how important it is and also know that I am still very novice at best about it. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction and I will be getting better gutloading items tomorrow!

good luck Molly and I hope your little one pulls through!

Sounds like a plan! You haven't had him long enough that gutloading would be causing any problems yet, so whatever is going on with him is not your fault. But it's good to get on the right track now anyway. :)

well if it were my chameleon, he would have been the FIRST person I would have gone to for an answer. Surely he would have known why your chameleon was on the ground. What a shame..... You said these people know about the forums...have them come on here and tell us about the cfl's and all the problems they are having with their chameleons. Would love to hear what they are experiencing and what brands they are using. btw why is he still even using the cfl's then?

Hes not using cfls, i got on the subject of cfl's one time and he said he has tried them since they were improved and still has issues with them. Theres a couple new dudes working at the store, early 20's, they had a bunch of people behind me, so we briefly talked about why shes on the ground, mentioned she needs some dirt to dig in. I think over 12" deep is a little more than some dirt. The owner is the one that finally cleared up the air on laying bins for me, unfortunately it was too late. :( I will ask the owner the next time if hes not there when I pick up my nosy be in a few days. He has a few different locations and is always bouncing around dropping off supplies and running arons. He told me he sells around 152,000 crickets a week between all his stores. :eek:

Ferret is absolutely right about gutloading not being the issue at the moment, but is important. Just something I wanted to make sure you were aware of.

many keepers on here use the compacts and very successfully. This subject has gone round and round on here and the compacts are safe. It is proven cause the chameleons are thriving. The issue you are talking about was quite a few years back. I personally use the tubes cause I like how they spread the lights out across the cage as opposed to the dome which is more concentrated. No offense, but I don't think you should make statements unless you are sure what you are talking about.

Agree on all. Love the tubes, they spread the light instead of concentrating it in one area.

:

Exactly, and that is why people use them. And we are talking chameleons on here and not monitors. And I am curious, if you have a friend who has over 150 chameleons why did he not teach you about females and egg binding. I am assuming out of the 150 chameleons he has, that they are not all male???

Lol this is hilarious, this guy copy and pasted some of my opinions on supplementation and tried to act like he thought of it lol.. So who's this friend with 150 chams?

Sorry this idiotic debate has escalated on your thread Molly.. I really have been trying to think of possible remedies for him..

UVB Light in a dome???
Everytime Ive looked at a compact bulb canopy,,,and when I have talked to people about these compact bulbs,,,which Ive been told are going to be the new order in a few years,,,not sure how true hat is tho,,,,kinda like my linear bulbs and cant wait to try out an Arcadia,,,BUT,,,the UVB is emitted from the sides of the bulb along the coils and should be held in a side holding fixture!!!
Molly,,,,by a dome do you mean the front part pf the bulb is facing into the vivarium???
I am hoping and praying for your little guy!!!
Molly your husbandry is bang on even for an experienced chamer, let alone a new one!!!!
And your heart and passion are something every chameleon in captivity should be experience to!!!!

UVB Light in a dome???
Everytime Ive looked at a compact bulb canopy,,,and when I have talked to people about these compact bulbs,,,which Ive been told are going to be the new order in a few years,,,not sure how true hat is tho,,,,kinda like my linear bulbs and cant wait to try out an Arcadia,,,BUT,,,the UVB is emitted from the sides of the bulb along the coils and should be held in a side holding fixture!!!
Molly,,,,by a dome do you mean the front part pf the bulb is facing into the vivarium???
Molly your husbandry is bang on even for an experienced chamer, let alone a new one!!!!
And your heart and passion are something every chameleon in captivity should be experience to!!!!

Aww! Thank you! I needed to hear that. Even though I know I need to work on my gutloading, I know that noone wants my little man to live more than me and I'm willing to do whatever I need to for him. Everyone's suggestions have really given me some great ideas and I'm going to implement them today for Kush. I hope it helps him.

Hes not using cfls, i got on the subject of cfl's one time and he said he has tried them since they were improved and still has issues with them. Theres a couple new dudes working at the store, early 20's, they had a bunch of people behind me, so we briefly talked about why shes on the ground, mentioned she needs some dirt to dig in. I think over 12" deep is a little more than some dirt. The owner is the one that finally cleared up the air on laying bins for me, unfortunately it was too late. :( I will ask the owner the next time if hes not there when I pick up my nosy be in a few days. He has a few different locations and is always bouncing around dropping off supplies and running arons. He told me he sells around 152,000 crickets a week between all his stores. :eek:

you need to word things differntly as you post states "still has issues with then" like he is using them now. If you would have said "had" I would have realized it was past tense. Like I said for someone who has 150 chameleons he sure must have alot of lights. Is he a breeder? What is the name of the pet store? Does he have a website? Please Ask him the specific brand of light so we can all be aware of this. To my knowledge it was only one brand causing the problem and not all brands that gave the bulb a bad rap. I would also be curious as to what problems occured and why he changed them out. If he has a website just give it to me and I will send him an email myself, that way you don't have to bother. It would be great to have this info and actually have proof from someone who has actually had major problems instead of people posting about something that happened 7 years that was to have been resolved by the manufacturer.

UVB Light in a dome???

dome meaning one of those fixtures that that lookes like a megaphone and you sit it on the top of the cage just like the linear bulb. They have been around a long time.

Correct,,,they have been,,,,but wasnt sure if Molly was calling a canopy a dome,,,just wanted to clarify that,,,,she is after all in panic mode!!!!!
But thank you for pointing that out to me!!!

Correct,,,they have been,,,,but wasnt sure if Molly was calling a canopy a dome,,,just wanted to clarify that,,,,she is after all in panic mode!!!!!
But thank you for pointing that out to me!!!

oh ok, I was thinking, how could you not know what a dome is???!:p

I think the problem might be that I bought a new one on Monday. Maybe, since it's new, it's a bit too bright for a baby. I am going to get him out in the sun tomorrow and see if that helps, then I am going to switch back to the old bulb. The breeder gave me the other bulb and said they switch them out every 6 months and that the one he gave me was maybe 2 months old. I will go back to that one after a day or two in the sun and see if that helps. Hopefully he will turn around and start eating again. Today was his first day with no food. We will see how tomorrow goes. Thank you for all of your advice. Hopefully my little guy makes it!

As Ferret says, sunlight is a great idea. Just be sure to follow her suggestions. Taking the whole cage outside might be the easiest plan in the end.

Way back a long time ago I suggested you try smaller feeders. Fruit flies and smaller crickets (really small! just a step or two above pinhead). Some chameleons really like flying insects so the fruit flies might engage his attention.

If it was fixed long ago then why are people still having problems with them. No offense but maybe you should do some more research before you make statements.

This is ridiculous.. There are people on here that are experienced, senior members that you are being extremely rude to and accusing them of lack of research... Read some of carols threads and blogs and I'm sure you'll fin she's done her research.

Yes CFLs have had issues in the past but they have been addressed.. Chameleon keepers are using CFL bulbs now with success and the issue is not an issue anymore.

To the original poster, I am sorry for your experience with your new baby.. Sometimes breeders, especially big box stores will release animals that are not entirely well or ready to be released. It does not seem to me that you are doing anything wrong, just some bad lck.. Which is all too common in the chameleon keeping world.

Back
Top Bottom