I want to build a custom Atrium enclosure for peach fuzz does anyone have some ideas?

What enclosure type should I build?

• Cylinder (idk) 3/3/4.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
4’ T 5 HO fixtures are easy to find. Every place I’ve checked that has reasonably priced bulbs are all sold out of 4’ 6%. I finally found one place with 5.0s though!

So Im gonna use window screen for the sides and top and for the bottom I will use plywood then I am going to have dirt and rocks as the substrate to absorb water and to prevent Peach Fuzz from eating the soil. I am going to have some money trees and maybe a few umbrella plants I bought a 6' long vine (fluckers) that will be a branch from one side to another and bends up to create a basking area.

So Im gonna use window screen for the sides and top and for the bottom I will use plywood then I am going to have dirt and rocks as the substrate to absorb water and to prevent Peach Fuzz from eating the soil. I am going to have some money trees and maybe a few umbrella plants I bought a 6' long vine (fluckers) that will be a branch from one side to another and bends up to create a basking area.
Is this going to be full-blown bioactive?

My Missus' tortoise table is somewhat similar to your description. Because of the constant contact with wet dirt, I slathered the plywood bottom and walls (as far up as the substrate might go) with several coats of Flex Seal Liquid. Got drainage out one side, and the floor is pitched. It's been a couple of months; so far—so good.

Again, if you're not in a sub-tropical climate, you might consider coroplast for the sides & back; less expensive (and strong) than PVC, but still water-resistant.

If you're committed to window screens, here's a good 4 part video on how-to a chameleon enclosure.

Here are several good inexpensive ways of attaching things. Best to think ahead so you can work it into your plan.

What type of wood is ok to use?
Generally, hardwoods = good; softwoods = bad. Softwood sap contains VOCs, which can be bad for chameleons and other living things.

If you seal it very well with multiple (3-4 minimum) coats of water-based polyurethane and allow that to cure completely, you can use pine. "Clear" pine would be best (no knots or sapwood) but it's more expensive. Hardwoods are also expensive (poplar may be least expensive).

I just built an (tortoise) enclosure using clear pine 2 x 2s for the frame, finished with 3-4 coats of Triple Thick Polyurethane. Because this enclosure has a soil substrate, I also sealed anything that comes in contact with the soil or water with 2 coats of Flex Seal over the polyurethane.

N.B. Do Not make the mistake of thinking "triple thick" means one coat equals 3 coats—it does not. It's just a thicker liquid when applying, but it thins out as it's drying. You still need to use 3-4 coats.

Back
Top Bottom