Dragon Strand Atrium

Sgt. Bilko

Established Member
Hello Forum! I've been stalking this forum for several months now, prepping for chameleon husbandry. Lot's of great information is available to get my family started on this journey!

First up, the enclosure. We were planning on a 4x2x4 enclosure, specifically the Dragon Strand Hybrid Atrium. However, the site only states: Unfortunately, we are having to discontinue the Large Atrium cage line at this time. Does anyone know if this is permanent?

As an alternative, I've begun designing a quick frame enclosure. Again, lots of good information on suppliers and guides for constructing. Regarding the quick frames, where can I find PVC panels and screen solutions to fit the twin flanges?

Thanks in advance, SB

You can get the PVC panels through home depot and lowes. Some locations do not have them in stock so you have to order them. I ended up getting a 4x8 panel from a sign company. They cut it down to the sizes I needed and just let me buy it for a bit above cost.

You can get the PVC panels through home depot and lowes. Some locations do not have them in stock so you have to order them. I ended up getting a 4x8 panel from a sign company. They cut it down to the sizes I needed and just let me buy it for a bit above cost.
Thank you. What was the panel width (thickness)?

Let me first say - I love my large Dragonstrand Clearside Atriums. I have several of the older versions, prior to the redesign and new latches. I, too, was on the hunt for another large Atrium and had trouble finding even the newest version. I am sure the pandemic has made it very difficult to procure materials and complete production... hopefully things are easing up. Bill makes very beautiful enclosures.

If Dragonstrand continues to make the Atrium, I would highly recommend purchasing one. If they decide to discontinue the line, then you could potentially DIY your own. I've looked into doing the same, for custom sizing as well as modifying my existing Atriums. There is a clear PVC film that is used to enclose porches or for use on sailboats, that is UV resistant, durable, and readily available. I found a company to send me samples so I could determine which thickness to use. That material, coupled with Windows Screen frame rails, tools, and ledges could be used to create a similar DIY enclosure. Finding the materials is the easy part - the design and actual manufacturing of the panels and ledges is a lot of work, and worth the price of purchasing a complete kit.

Let me first say - I love my large Dragonstrand Clearside Atriums. I have several of the older versions, prior to the redesign and new latches. I, too, was on the hunt for another large Atrium and had trouble finding even the newest version. I am sure the pandemic has made it very difficult to procure materials and complete production... hopefully things are easing up. Bill makes very beautiful enclosures.

If Dragonstrand continues to make the Atrium, I would highly recommend purchasing one. If they decide to discontinue the line, then you could potentially DIY your own. I've looked into doing the same, for custom sizing as well as modifying my existing Atriums. There is a clear PVC film that is used to enclose porches or for use on sailboats, that is UV resistant, durable, and readily available. I found a company to send me samples so I could determine which thickness to use. That material, coupled with Windows Screen frame rails, tools, and ledges could be used to create a similar DIY enclosure. Finding the materials is the easy part - the design and actual manufacturing of the panels and ledges is a lot of work, and worth the price of purchasing a complete kit.
I had to replace my clearside panel... I got 20 gauge marine vinyl to lay in. I just re screened them with the new. I found it on etsy and it is UV resistant.

I had to replace my clearside panel... I got 20 gauge marine vinyl to lay in. I just re screened them with the new. I found it on etsy and it is UV resistant.

I think that's the stuff! I got samples in varying thicknesses from 10 up to like 40, and I still couldn't tell / decide which was the right thickness! How was your experience working with it? Were you able to get it nice and taught, or did you use heat to do that? I'm planning to eventually update mine to a solid clear front, instead of 2 doors, upper, and 2 lower panels. Either 1 large panel/door, or a large door and then additional large lower panel... just to make the view less obstructed, and because apparently I have too much time on my hands lol

Thank you for that. I see, from the forum comments, that the Atrium is/was well built. It's too bad they aren't available on the market. It's important to me that the terrarium is sturdy and be a large format - 4x2x4. I've gone to pet stores and found the Reptibreeze XL setups to be too unstable for my liking. To combine 2 of them would require some DIY work, including additional bracing. The ReptiZoo Large Terrarium is too small. At this point, I've decided to move in the direction of a full DIY atrium.

I spent this weekend researching aluminum framing. My son and I drew up an iso model for the DIY Atrium and assembled a bill of materials from the design. The design leverages the stack effect concept, same as the Atrium. I started with heavy duty aluminum extruded screen framing , which is available from CRL @$0.43/inch. For a build as massive as the atrium, the HD screen frame solution would cost $650. From reading the forums, another suggestion was aluminum 1" 80/20 Quick Frame (80/20) @$0.28/inch. The total DIY atrium Quick Frame solution costs $480 (uncut, I would do myself). Lastly, the nice thing about the 80/20 QF is that they are flanged. This allows the ability to change out sides for PVC or screens, depending on how well I can maintain temp and humidity.

I think that's the stuff! I got samples in varying thicknesses from 10 up to like 40, and I still couldn't tell / decide which was the right thickness! How was your experience working with it? Were you able to get it nice and taught, or did you use heat to do that? I'm planning to eventually update mine to a solid clear front, instead of 2 doors, upper, and 2 lower panels. Either 1 large panel/door, or a large door and then additional large lower panel... just to make the view less obstructed, and because apparently I have too much time on my hands lol
I just went to get you the link but they do not sell the clear anymore. But yes the 20 gauge was perfect and almost the exact same as the original. I was able to get it nice and taught by using those big paper clips to hook it on. It was a learning curve. I perfected it by hooking in one side first. Then use the clips on the opposite side then lay in the binding there. You have to be carful not too pull too tight though or it warps the shape of the frame. then lay in another side without clipping its opposite. Once the last side is ready you clip that but not too tight.
I have done the door now twice and the top panel once. The door ripped during my move so that is why I did it two times lol.

But it worked really well for me.

Back
Top Bottom