Dragon Strand or Zen Habitat, anyone have experience with both?

Camel Leon

I've narrowed down my choices to a Dragon Strand or Zen Habitats 2'X2'X4'......anybody with experience with both of these enclosures that can chime in with any opinions? This will be the hybrid model for either one. The cham will most likely be a Panther/Jackson/Veiled.

Thanks!!!

I've narrowed down my choices to a Dragon Strand or Zen Habitats 2'X2'X4'......anybody with experience with both of these enclosures that can chime in with any opinions? This will be the hybrid model for either one. The cham will most likely be a Panther/Jackson/Veiled.

Thanks!!!
I have a zen habitat for my bearded dragon and I have a hybrid dragon strand for my chameleon. I think they are both really great, unfortunately I can’t make your decision any easier , but I really love my dragon strand and attribute being able to easily adjust the environment in my chameleons enclosure to this well thought out design

I have a dragon strand and have multiple types that they make. They are wonderful. Just plumb your drain pan so it will go into a bucket.

I have mentored a few people with Zen cages. They all ended up getting new cages because they just did not like the zen in the end. Too many modifications needed to make it work for them between drainage and mounting branches etc.

Unfortunately, I do not have either, however I have done research on both enclosure types because eventually I would like to upgrade my enclosures to the higher quality enclosures. I personally would pick the Dragon Strand enclosures due to the drainage and ledges that come with the enclosure. The Zen habitats do not have either and you will have to get creative to provide that for your chameleon. Plus its always a bonus to support a chameleon brand...there aren't many of those out there.

I have a zen for one of my bearded dragons and it is a really nice enclosure for him. I wouldn’t advise anyone to get one for a chameleon if they had other options due to the difficulty and needing to make modifications to hang branches and such. I use budget enclosures for my chameleons, but if I could afford, Dragon Strand would be my choice. I do have Dragon Ledges and think they’re the best thing since sliced bread. If you want more than Dragon Strand, Tamura designs would be it.

Looks like Dragon Strand is now out to mid-August for ship dates.......may go the DIY route after all. I would probably go 2'X3'X4' if going that way.

I know lots of people go the DIY route....is there a sub-forum or sticky for DIY plans here, or are they scattered throughout the forums?

Tamura designs is quite amazing if you look at everything you get... It has the stand with full drainage and an option to do it bioactive as well. Plant stands for the bottom large plants and then ledges to mount higher. Panels that you can add or remove to the sides to retain more humidity or gain more airflow. Which depending on your home might be handy. Also this one is leak proof so you can literally spray down the entire inside to clean wall panels.

Tamura designs is quite amazing if you look at everything you get... It has the stand with full drainage and an option to do it bioactive as well. Plant stands for the bottom large plants and then ledges to mount higher. Panels that you can add or remove to the sides to retain more humidity or gain more airflow. Which depending on your home might be handy. Also this one is leak proof so you can literally spray down the entire inside to clean wall panels.
This will be going on a stand in my office, it has a 1" 4'X2' top, so the stands on the Tamura would not be necessary. The only one I saw that does not have a stand is the "basic" model......still going back and forth on doing it myself or buying one........I've kinda gotten lazy in my old age :)

Last edited:
This will be going on a stand in my office, it has a 1" 4'X2' top, so the stands on the Tamura would not be necessary. The only one I saw that does not have a stand is the "basic" model......still going back and forth on doing it myself or buying one........I've kinda gotten lazy in my old age :)
I will tell you because I have built my own outdoor enclosure. That you end up spending a lot more than you realize lol. But if you are not worried about your budget and want to build one go for it. :)

I will tell you because I have built my own outdoor enclosure. That you end up spending a lot more than you realize lol. But if you are not worried about your budget and want to build one go for it. :)
Well, I'd rather buy one, due to the laziness factor mentioned earlier :) ......Dragon Strand is out to around 1.5 months, not completely sold on Zen, and I can't get in touch with Tamura because their website rejects any question I ask (with an error message).

Well, I'd rather buy one, due to the laziness factor mentioned earlier :) ......Dragon Strand is out to around 1.5 months, not completely sold on Zen, and I can't get in touch with Tamura because their website rejects any question I ask (with an error message).
Weird I just tried the website contact to make sure and mine went through. I can reach out to Dale and see if he has an actual email address that can be used.

Thanks.....yeah I tried it in Firefox and Edge, gave me an error. I like their 48" tall $750 but it looks like the only mesh is on the top, so I don't know how the ventilation works.

Thanks.....yeah I tried it in Firefox and Edge, gave me an error. I like their 48" tall $750 but it looks like the only mesh is on the top, so I don't know how the ventilation works.
Send me the link of the one your looking at.

Back
Top Bottom