New Chameleon Enclosure Setup Questions

RDCustomDiecast

So I nearing my first Chameleon purchase. After a few months of research and avaiidind temptation of buying a Chameleon at the local pet shops and coming home same day up set everything up, my wife wanted to research and plan first. Also we plan to have the enclosure fully setup with proper lighting and a mister prior to even buying the chameleon which we want a male Panther.

So next week we will be purchasing a 24x24x48 enclosure. We have narrow it down to the Zoo Ames Reptibreeze Deluxe with Acrylic door that is very appealing new or I have found a used zen enclosure and a used Dragon Strand both close to $400 used but would have to drive 4-5 hrs one way plus fuel to pick up. So buying the right enclosure is the first hurdle. If I go with the deluxe I plan to install rails for mounting points.

Next after much discussion we have decided we want a bio active bottom.

That’s where I really need suggestions. What is everyone’s opinion on substrate material. I know there is a few places to buy online, but would you just make your own. I plan to line the bottom with acrylic or pvc sheet to form a tub. Our goal is to get the bio active substrate in place and plants installed and everything ready to go for our new arrival when we order him. I hate to order online because of shipping but will if necessary. Any money reasonable save will help but I want it done right.

Last what your recommendation on reputable breeders. I am in South Alabama and all pet shop here carry vieled and not Panthers. So looks like I will have to find a breeder within a reasonable distance or mail
Order in.

Any suggestions appreciated.

For your first chameleon enclosure, I would suggest not starting with a bioactive setup right away. You can alway add bioactive later, but getting bioactive correct the first time can be tricky and undoing it can be a mess, and moving you enclosure or rearranging for any reason becomes much more difficult. I have nothing against bioactive enclosures, but I would suggest focusing your initial efforts on filling the large cage you mentioned with plants and keeping the plants healthy and full. Give that a try and if you want to transform the enclosure to bioactive later, you can.

If you are set on bioactive, leaf litter from the woods is a great start. Get a bunch! Sanitize as necessary or not at all. Microbes are bioactive also. Bioactive has many forms, but if you keep your plants in planters and fill in the rest of the bottom with 4-7 inches of leaf litter, that will be a good start for your isopods and springtails to grow a colony.
The advantage to having any soil like material below the leaf litter is that it will help stabilize the moisture levels of the leaf litter and prevent the leaves from getting too dry. The disadvantage to a soil or other base layer is it add a ton of weight and water retention to your enclosure without adding much bioactive nutritional value.

Lots of ways to accomplish this, but look into getting some good dry hardwood leaves from the woods if you are set on going bioacive.

I agree with @OldWorldChams going bioactive on your first cham is a lot. It is also knowing what is balanced and what is not. If your set on it than please please get a cham from a reputable breeder. The last thing you want is to spend a ton on the set up and bio active bottom and end up with a cham that has a parasite. Because then depending on parasite your cleaning is going to differ. Meaning you may have to strip the entire cage. A good breeder will know when to ship with weather. And they are shipped from a hub to the hub near you. So you go to the fedex hub to pick them up. This way they are not out on a truck.

If your set on doing bioactive then look at this to start https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/intro-to-bio-activity.2429/

Thank you all for the info and advice. I definitely will be buying from a reputable breeder. I am passing on Pet Stores I just do not want to risk bringing home a Cham that may have issues from improper care. I know there is a risk even from breeders, but I think buying from a breeder will minimize the risk.

So I was thinking of not doing bioactive, however, my wife insists she wants to try it. I am a disabled vet, so I will have ample time to commit to the project hobby and care of the setup and chameleon. I did tell my wife if we do go bioactive we will wait at least 1 month before buying and introducing a cham, to allow time for everything to stabilize. And if there is an issue we can convert back to no bioactive setup without stressing our new addition to our family.

I am super excited but want to do this right. I think I have decided to get a zoo med 2x2x4 rather than a Dragon Strand, just because I do not have the time to wait to get it delivered since it may take a couple of months to get processed through Bill Strand's list. I did watch one of his videos where he said the Zoo Med is a good enclosure. So I do plan to spend some time when it comes in and make it a hybrid with either PVC sheeting, or coroplast sheeting. Also, I am considering adding acrylic to the front door. I still will have to plan accordingly for proper ventilation flow.

I plan to purchase the proper UVB Light and Heat Lamp but I also already have 5 high-end LED Grow lights one that's fully programmable. So that should help the plant life flourish I hope. Plan is to have everything including the lighting, mist system, and perhaps a fogger all in place prior to buying a chameleon. I am really just trying to get this properly planned to hopefully provide a stress-free environment from the start.

Thank You All and still will check back to see if there are any other suggestions. I will try to post pics as I go along as well. I have a YouTube channel rather small about 750 subscribers but it is totally unrelated to this hobby so may start another channel to show my journey and perhaps showcase the chameleon.

Thank you all for the info and advice. I definitely will be buying from a reputable breeder. I am passing on Pet Stores I just do not want to risk bringing home a Cham that may have issues from improper care. I know there is a risk even from breeders, but I think buying from a breeder will minimize the risk.

So I was thinking of not doing bioactive, however, my wife insists she wants to try it. I am a disabled vet, so I will have ample time to commit to the project hobby and care of the setup and chameleon. I did tell my wife if we do go bioactive we will wait at least 1 month before buying and introducing a cham, to allow time for everything to stabilize. And if there is an issue we can convert back to no bioactive setup without stressing our new addition to our family.

I am super excited but want to do this right. I think I have decided to get a zoo med 2x2x4 rather than a Dragon Strand, just because I do not have the time to wait to get it delivered since it may take a couple of months to get processed through Bill Strand's list. I did watch one of his videos where he said the Zoo Med is a good enclosure. So I do plan to spend some time when it comes in and make it a hybrid with either PVC sheeting, or coroplast sheeting. Also, I am considering adding acrylic to the front door. I still will have to plan accordingly for proper ventilation flow.

I plan to purchase the proper UVB Light and Heat Lamp but I also already have 5 high-end LED Grow lights one that's fully programmable. So that should help the plant life flourish I hope. Plan is to have everything including the lighting, mist system, and perhaps a fogger all in place prior to buying a chameleon. I am really just trying to get this properly planned to hopefully provide a stress-free environment from the start.

Thank You All and still will check back to see if there are any other suggestions. I will try to post pics as I go along as well. I have a YouTube channel rather small about 750 subscribers but it is totally unrelated to this hobby so may start another channel to show my journey and perhaps showcase the chameleon.

Please let us know if you have any questions. Be cautious about doing a youtube channel. There are so many that are giving out incorrect info. With chams everything really needs to be done spot on to ensure health. Check out this husbandry program as well. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

I would buy from anyone on this list of sponsors https://www.chameleonforums.com/sponsors/?tag=chameleons
Go through can check out what they have and what you like most for local. Good luck in your new adventure.

Back
Top Bottom