I think Pepper fell

serenitystarlite

Established Member
After battling for months with a temporal gland infection, Pepper finally got over it and had been doing well for awhile. Now he seems to have fallen and hurt his back.

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - Male Jackson's chameleon. He is a year and half old, I've had him since he was 4 months old.
* Handling - Not very often, maybe once or twice a week
* Feeding - He eats crickets, butterworms, superworms, and dubia. He eats 5-6 feeders almost everyday. I gutload with kale, carrots, and oranges.
* Supplements - I use Zoomed calcium without D3 a few times a week, Rep-cal with D3 once a month, and Herpivite once a month.
* Watering - I have a Mist King and use a dripper. I see him drinking often.
* Fecal Description - Fecal is normal. He was tested for parasites last year and had none.
* History - He had a temporal lobe infection and was on 2 courses of antibiotics before it finally went away. It started back in September and finally drained on it's own after he went on a 2nd course of antibiotics.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Screen cage. 16in x 16in x 30in.
* Lighting - 15in 5.0 repti-sun linear bulb and 25 watt household bulb for basking. The lights come on at 8am and go off at 8pm on a timer.
* Temperature - I have a digital thermometer. Bottom of the cage is usually low to mid 70s, basking stop is low 80s. Overnight it goes down into the upper 60s.
* Humidity - Humidity stays around 65-75%. I have a humidifier and digital hygrometer.
* Plants - He has a live Dragon Tree and and a live pothos along with some fake vines
* Placement - Cage is in my bedroom which is low traffic. It's not near any vents or windows and is 3ft up off the floor, so top of the cage is 5 1/2ft
* Location - Where are you geographically located? Pittsburgh, PA

Current Problem - I think he fell sometime in the past couple days. He won't move and when I touch his back, he arches it like it's really painful. He can move all of his limbs and he has a strong grip. He is still eating on his own and drinking and is awake and alert. I put a towel down on top of one of his plants and he has just been laying there.

I have a vet visit scheduled for tomorrow evening with a different vet at the place I took him to before. Not sure how much experience this person has. The 2 vets that have already seen him have no clue about chameleons. I got the name of another vet that supposedly see chameleons, but he isn't in the office until Thursday evening and I can't get anyone to answer simple questions over the phone like "is there anything they can do for a chameleon with an injured back" or "does this vet know how to test for and treat metabolic bone disease?" The last time someone over the phone said the vet had chameleon experience, she came into the room and said "Oh it's been such a long time since I've seen a chameleon!" Ya kind of not reassuring lol.

So anyway, his left arm is deformed. 2 vets said it wasn't MBD and that it was a break that has grown a callous. Now his other arm is looking bent and he won't hold himself up at all. At first I thought maybe the right arm just grew weird because of the way he would hold with the "broken" arm because his back legs seemed straight and normal but now I'm scared that he does have MBD. I have no idea what to do. I've seen my panther chameleon fall much farther and he's fine. Pepper's cage is much smaller, so he wouldn't have fallen far. If he did fall and hurt his back whether it's broken or not, what can the vet do for him? I'm more interested in figuring out if it's MBD or not but I don't have hundreds of dollars to give to vets that don't know what they're doing.

So please, I'm not looking for the usual cry of "take him to the vet" or people arguing with me to find a better vet because I am working on it, I just want to know if anyone has any ideas on what to tell a vet or what I can do for the poor guy in the meantime. I don't want him to suffer :(

Edit - I attached some pictures

Attachments

• 2011-07-09_14-41-05_675.jpg
    2011-07-09_14-41-05_675.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 141
  • 2011-07-12_17-19-34_465.jpg
    2011-07-12_17-19-34_465.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 135
  • P1020998.jpg
    P1020998.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
That is so sad. He deserves a vet who knows what they are doing. Is there any way to check or ask for a reference form someone whose chameleon the vet has seen? Maybe ask how long ago the vet saw a cham? Maybe someone here knows a vet in your area. Kevin is in Scranton (dooley 1) & cainschams (jared) lived in PA somewhere maybe they could help.

Let me know how things go for him. Good luck.

Thanks Laurie. I've called a lot of vets in the area looking for someone who can help and haven't come across anyone yet. If anyone knows of one, that would be great. I've spent a lot of time searching.

I posted a couple pics above. The 3rd one is from about a month ago, I don't have any more recent pics from before the fall. I think I first noticed it on Saturday. He was able to move around his cage with no problem before the fall. I have thought about putting him down so he doesn't suffer anymore, but he is such a little fighter and so sweet that I just can't :(

I also attached a couple more pics to this reply that I was able to get off my phone.

Attachments

• 2011-07-09_14-41-18_480.jpg
    2011-07-09_14-41-18_480.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 90
  • 2011-07-09_14-42-01_476.jpg
    2011-07-09_14-42-01_476.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 132
I am so sorry for your guy. I don't know what to tell you but I will see if I can talk to people and find a good vet.

questions on topic:

which pic is the most recent? other than the backgrounds lol all three look to me to be at different times. Just from looking at his parietal area.

how old is the uvb bulb?

suggestions and questions off topic:

take superworms out of his diet.

how did you/vet figure out a temporal lobe infection? what were the symptoms/signs and treatment?

questions on topic:

which pic is the most recent? other than the backgrounds lol all three look to me to be at different times. Just from looking at his parietal area.

how old is the uvb bulb?

suggestions and questions off topic:

take superworms out of his diet.

how did you/vet figure out a temporal lobe infection? what were the symptoms/signs and treatment?

The pictures have the dates on them except for the one. The one without a date is from a month ago. The ones where he is on the floor are from Saturday when I first noticed him not moving, so I put him on the floor to see if he would walk around. The one where he is on the towel is the most recent, from Tuesday. I just switched out all my uv bulbs for new ones about a month ago.

He hasn't eaten superworms for awhile because I'm out of them and didn't get any at the last reptile show.

The vets didn't figure out anything, I had to tell them what was wrong with him. The first vet gave me an oral antibiotic rinse. I took him to another vet when that didn't work and she gave him Bactrim. It didn't work, so I asked for a 3 week dose of Baytril. Finally at the end of the Baytril, the gland drained while I was holding him and trying to clean out his mouth. I guess I was pressing on it just right and it burst. That was probably about 4-5 months ago. Both vets said they couldn't clean out the bump and that it was inflammation and both said he didn't have MBD, he had a broken leg that healed weird and has a callous.

I showed pictures of him to one of my friends who has had chameleons for a long time and he doesn't think it's MBD either. I had to cancel my vet appt yesterday because I got stuck at work and wouldn't have made it but there is a different vet that has hours tonight and supposedly actually has chameleon experience, so I am going to call him later and see if there's anything he can do. I really hesitate to move Pepper and take him to a vet that is going to take my money, look at him, and say they have no idea.

I guess the point of my post was to see if anyone else has had a chameleon who seems to have had a bad fall. If so, did you take them to the vet and what was the vet able to do for the cham?

I'm sorry pepper isn't feeling well, he's such a beautiful boy.

I havent had a chameleon take a bad fall but, I did have a melleri who had similar symptoms. Bare with me I still miss Earl so its kinda a sore subject.

Earl had a infection from a burn caused by his previous owner on his tail. I took him to a GREAT vet, she cleaned it we treated him and I thought he was cured. Well I was wrong.
He started acting sluggish so I checked his temps, changed his lights. He was still eating and such so I thought it was a funk. Then he got to the point where he didn't want to hold up his body and just laid there kinda like pepper is doing, he would move if provoked but that was about it. Called the vet made an appointment for a couple days later. The morning of the vet appointment Earl developed the worse edema I have ever seen, it was so big it even went to his turrets.
To make a long story short Earls infection spread to his bone and he was septic. I tried everthing to save him but it was a failed attempt :(

Im not saying pepper has the same fate but, being he had a infection that took a little while to heal you may want to do blood work to have his white blood cell count checked.

Sorry for the long post but pepper's symptoms are so similar I thought I would share my experience.

Back
Top Bottom