Help please

I got my chameleon a month ago and he/she fell today when I added something new to the cage and slipped on it. Now tonight he/she is sitting with his mouth open, pawing at the glass and trembling with his arm in the air. What do I do?? Does anyone know what is wrong

Attachments

• IMG_5468.png
    IMG_5468.png
    669.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5466.png
    IMG_5466.png
    591.8 KB · Views: 26
If you can give us some of this information we might be able to give you some advise. I suspect the fall may have caused an injury and some pain. We need to make sure that there aren't some husbandry issues causing the falling and other behaviors. Do you have a veterinarian?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

If you can give us some of this information we might be able to give you some advise. I suspect the fall may have caused an injury and some pain. We need to make sure that there aren't some husbandry issues causing the falling and other behaviors. Do you have a veterinarian?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
the cage has a mister and the temp is usually between 85-95 the humidity during the day is usually between 35-45 and at night as high as I can get it. I have a water fountain that she drinks from and a heat lamp and uvb light. I give small crickets and meal worms and dust them with calcium. I give her 5 a day but the past week I didn’t have any calcium to use I just got some and gave her some today. The cage is tall glass with a mesh top and is big for how little she is right now. She is in the corner of my room higher up than anything else I have in here. I handle almost every day for 5 minutes give or take and she hisses when I put my hand in to get her out but then walks onto me and is good while she is out. Her fecal matter looks normal but I do notice a little bit of yellow orange goop with her white urate

Attachments

• IMG_5472.jpeg
    IMG_5472.jpeg
    233.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5468.png
    IMG_5468.png
    669.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_5466.png
    IMG_5466.png
    591.8 KB · Views: 25
I would avoid handling her for a while right now in case she is injured or sick. My biggest concern is that she appears to be in a solid glass cage with no side or front ventilation. This could be leading to her getting a respiratory infection. Is she still panting today? Do you ear any wheezing or popping noises when she breathes? Did your calcium have D3 in it?
@Beman @MissSkittles @jannb

Others are better with this, but one thing already stands out. You’re baking her and that’s why she has her mouth open. Temps should be 78 max 80 at the basking spot, that’s directly under the light measure on their back, 70-74 as ambient temp in the lower part.. Your enclosure measures at the bottom 82, and will probably hit 95 under the light, meaning she‘s constantly overheating and she has no way to escape the heat. Your enclosure needs ventilation and lower wattage lights.
More things are needed, but first things first, because this becomes life threatening for her.

So I see multiple things going on here. As already mentioned she is far too hot. I also see an incorrect set up for her. They are arboreal and need live veiled safe plants to climb around in along with branches, the stuff on the bottom needs to be removed as it is an impaction risk, Uvb lighting is not correct you need a linear t5ho fixture and a 5.0 reptisun or 6% arcadia UVB bulb, the water feature in the corner is also something that is not recommended for chameleons. The cage they sold you is not what I would suggest. It has very little ventilation and is too small. I would first reduce those temps immediately.
Depending on her age going without food for 5 days is not something I would recommend either. Also depending on her age she may need more feeders per day. Also I would like to confirm gender. From the image this looks like a younger chameleon but I am not convinced it is a female. We would need pics of the back of the feet on the branch so we can see if there is a tarsal spur. If there is a spur you have a male. If there not a spur it is a female. Females have different needs as they mature to control egg production and make sure they do not have complications.

First start reading everything in this husbandry program https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

This is going to walk you through every aspect of cage set up and husbandry for chameleons. Then I need you to copy and paste the husbandry form into your reply. After every question answer it with detail. We need this information to really give full feed back and help you.

Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:

So I see multiple things going on here. As already mentioned she is far too hot. I also see an incorrect set up for her. They are arboreal and need live veiled safe plants to climb around in along with branches, the stuff on the bottom needs to be removed as it is an impaction risk, Uvb lighting is not correct you need a linear t5ho fixture and a 5.0 reptisun or 6% arcadia UVB bulb, the water feature in the corner is also something that is not recommended for chameleons. The cage they sold you is not what I would suggest. It has very little ventilation and is too small. I would first reduce those temps immediately.
Depending on her age going without food for 5 days is not something I would recommend either. Also depending on her age she may need more feeders per day. Also I would like to confirm gender. From the image this looks like a younger chameleon but I am not convinced it is a female. We would need pics of the back of the feet on the branch so we can see if there is a tarsal spur. If there is a spur you have a male. If there not a spur it is a female. Females have different needs as they mature to control egg production and make sure they do not have complications.

First start reading everything in this husbandry program https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

This is going to walk you through every aspect of cage set up and husbandry for chameleons. Then I need you to copy and paste the husbandry form into your reply. After every question answer it with detail. We need this information to really give full feed back and help you.

Chameleon Info:

I have only had this chameleon for 1 month and she is a pied veiled chameleon. I believe she is a girl because I do not see a tascal spur. I can attach a picture of her back legs
I usually handle her one a day but sometimes I go 2 days without handling when she shows me that she isn’t in the mood
I feed her meal worms and small crickets. 5 of the crickets and 5 of the worms in the morning and at night I feed her 5-7 worms however much she eats. She seems very hungry all the time though and goes for the food right after I put it in. She likes the meal worms the most. I give the crickets orange cubes from the pet store.
I dust all of the food I give her with calcium which I will attach a picture of. I would love for some advice on what other supplements I can give her
I have seen my chameleon drink a few times but not as of the past 2 days. I use a mister machine at night and I spray the cage during the day. I also have a water fountain in her cage. She drank from the water fountain 2 days ago when I put it in, but I haven’t seen her drink since that.
Her poop is usually solid and looks very normal. Her urate is white but usually has a few orange looking pieces in it which worries me a lot. I am not sure how to get her to drink more. I have not had her tested.
I can’t think of anything else. Besides she just today looks like she is going to start shedding but it has been a few hours and no progress yet. She does have a lot of wrinkles on her belly today which I have not had noticed before which I will post a picture of.
Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the
  • dimensions?
The cage was sold to me at the pet store and they said it was okay in size while she is still little. After a year she will need a bigger one. The cage is glass but the top is a screen and the front has a little bit of screen as well at the top.
The schedule I have set is for the lights to turn off at 10:30 every night and turn on at 10:30 every morning. I am using a uvb light from the pet store that is not a blue light. I am also using a basking light. I was using a higher wattage one since the old one I was using was only making her cage 60-70. I just put that one back in because everyone was saying she was too hot. Although this light bulb isn’t very bright. I will post a picture in the morning when the lights turn back on
For temp I usually have it at 85 near the bottom during the day which makes her basking spot about 90-95. Although I just switched the light which I think might mess her up. At night it is at lowest 65 and doesn’t go higher than 70
I have the mister in the cage which I only use at night to keep the moisture up as much as I can. At night it is around 80 for humidity and during the day I just spray the cage down and keep it between 30-50

I am using fake plants as of now because I cannot find real ones anywhere that chameleons are safe around. If there is a sight to buy them I would love to!
The cage is pretty high up it is on a larger than usual nightstand in the corner of my room away from a lot of traffic, but my cat does like to sit on my desk sometimes and look at her.
I will attach a picture of the setup
  • Location - Where are you geographically located
I live in Maine.

I am really looking forward to the best advice I can get. I want to give her the best life as possible and want to make sure she is healthy.

* the wrinkles are hard to see in the last photos
She does not like my phone and was mad when I was taking the photos.

I also don’t know if her eyes are sunk in a little I can try to get a photo in the morning when I take a picture of the new light I put in.

I would avoid handling her for a while right now in case she is injured or sick. My biggest concern is that she appears to be in a solid glass cage with no side or front ventilation. This could be leading to her getting a respiratory infection. Is she still panting today? Do you ear any wheezing or popping noises when she breathes? Did your calcium have D3 in it?
@Beman @MissSkittles @jannb
I have not heard any noises and she has not been doing it anymore. The calcium does have d3 in it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5470.jpeg
    IMG_5470.jpeg
    177.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5471.jpeg
    IMG_5471.jpeg
    122 KB · Views: 20
Others are better with this, but one thing already stands out. You’re baking her and that’s why she has her mouth open. Temps should be 78 max 80 at the basking spot, that’s directly under the light measure on their back, 70-74 as ambient temp in the lower part.. Your enclosure measures at the bottom 82, and will probably hit 95 under the light, meaning she‘s constantly overheating and she has no way to escape the heat. Your enclosure needs ventilation and lower wattage lights.
More things are needed, but first things first, because this becomes life threatening for her.
Is there a better cage I can get that isn’t too too expensive?

For live plants, I would find Weeping Ficus or Umbrella Tree. Pothos vine works great as a filler or main plant.

A lot of keepers would use tree branches to make ledges for he chameleon to climb and bask.

I would seek chameleon academy website to guide you through with care guide. They also have YouTube. Neptune The Chameleon is a great influencer to check out on YouTube. She has wealth of knowledge for newcomers.

For live plants, I would find Weeping Ficus or Umbrella Tree. Pothos vine works great as a filler or main plant.

A lot of keepers would use tree branches to make ledges for he chameleon to climb and bask.

I would seek chameleon academy website to guide you through with care guide. They also have YouTube. Neptune The Chameleon is a great influencer to check out on YouTube. She has wealth of knowledge for newcomers.
Is there a sight you can use to buy these plants? I live in Maine and it is very hard in winter especially to find any of these.

2 more concerns:

I have heard about Neptune the chameleon and have watched a lot of her videos until people started saying she does not know what she is talking about and gives false information for views.

Lastly, do I have to do something to branches to make it safe for the chameleon when finding them outside?

Is there a sight you can use to buy these plants? I live in Maine and it is very hard in winter especially to find any of these.

2 more concerns:

I have heard about Neptune the chameleon and have watched a lot of her videos until people started saying she does not know what she is talking about and gives false information for views.

Lastly, do I have to do something to branches to make it safe for the chameleon when finding them outside?
Do you have home department store like Home Depot or Lowe’s? Any local nursery?

No, Neptune The Chameleon; she tries to give advice geared towards newcomers with simple and effective approach for husbandry.

Do you have home department store like Home Depot or Lowe’s? Any local nursery?

No, Neptune The Chameleon; she tries to give advice geared towards newcomers with simple and effective approach for husbandry.
It looks like these are all the have. Which seem very big

Back
Top Bottom