How's he feeling?

ldowney

This is my first post so I apologize if it's in the wrong place. I got a young veiled chameleon from my local petsmart about a month ago. I originally bought the starter kit they recommended but have done a ton of upgrades after reading further. The last upgrade a couple days ago was for a good UVB light. Since I've put that in him, he's been really active and bright. I think this is good but I'm new to chameleons and am not really sure. Are these happy colors? Or is there something I should be doing differently? Thanks!
20230626_182105.jpg

Hi there and Welcome to the forum!! You’re in great hands here. As for advice, I’m not experienced like others, just wanted to welcome you both and say what a cutie you have there!! I believe you are in the right place posting.
One thing that does stick out to me but you may already know is switching out the fake plants for real veiled tested ones. They are plant nibblers and can become impacted. Some keepers use the fake on the outside to give more privacy. 😊

Hi there welcome to the forum. Little guy looks a little on the thin side? What are you feeding, How much, and how often?

Which UVB type did you get?

I fed him 6 small crickets, 3 times a day and dust with calcium powder twice a week.

The UVB is T5 24w. Not really sure what other info you'd be looking for.

I fed him 6 small crickets, 3 times a day and dust with calcium powder twice a week.

The UVB is T5 24w. Not really sure what other info you'd be looking for.
So 18 a day? And which supplement powder are you using?

Perfect with the uvb did you get the 5.0 bulb?

You will see a big change in colors and activity level with the UVB lighting you added. He is able to get usable UVB with this. So it will stimulate appetite and he should go into a more active colorful response.

How old is your chameleon?

What supplements are you using and how often for each? I’m particularly looking for calcium, phosphorus,D3 and the source of vitamin A.

Does it have a tarsal spur on the heel?

Yeah about that. Sometimes more. Never less.

The UVB is the 10.0
ok so feeder amount is good. I would give them all to him in the morning feeding. This will give him the day to digest.

The 10.0 is going to be stronger than we recommend. So your distance from the fixture to the branch needs to be farther. So you want a 11-12 inch distance with this bulb from the bottom of the fixture to the highest branches in his cage. This will put him in the correct UVB level. If it is closer than that you will start to get into over exposure levels.

How old is your chameleon?

What supplements are you using and how often for each? I’m particularly looking for calcium, phosphorus,D3 and the source of vitamin A.

Does it have a tarsal spur on the heel?
I'm not sure how old he is. He's still pretty small and I got him at petsmart so they were not overly helpful.

Right now I only have the calcium powder that came with the starter kit. What else should I get and how often to use it?

According to another post I made, he does have the tarsal spur so definitely a boy!

ok so feeder amount is good. I would give them all to him in the morning feeding. This will give him the day to digest.

The 10.0 is going to be stronger than we recommend. So your distance from the fixture to the branch needs to be farther. So you want a 11-12 inch distance with this bulb from the bottom of the fixture to the highest branches in his cage. This will put him in the correct UVB level. If it is closer than that you will start to get into over exposure levels.
Darn. I was so close. I'm going to take it back and exchange for the 5.0. Thanks!

Darn. I was so close. I'm going to take it back and exchange for the 5.0. Thanks!
Ok so with the 5.0 you want a distance of 8-9 inches between the bottom of fixture and the branches that are the highest. Please let me know if you would like to do a full husbandry review. :)

Also I'm reading that the baking spot shouldn't be more than 80 degrees? Is that right? I've also been running a red heat light at night because we have a basement apartment and it gets chilly. Is that not something I should be doing?

Also I'm reading that the baking spot shouldn't be more than 80 degrees? Is that right? I've also been running a red heat light at night because we have a basement apartment and it gets chilly. Is that not something I should be doing?
No red light at all. Basking would be 80 during the day and use a regular white incandescent bulb. Can fluctuate up to 85 max for a male. Then at night you want no lights at all and no added heat unless your temps are dropping below 50. In that case you could use a space heater to warm up the area.

There are ceramic heater elements that fit into a lightbulb socket that you can use instead of a space heater too.

There are ceramic heater elements that fit into a lightbulb socket that you can use instead of a space heater too.
Yep as long as these are used correctly. I have seen people burn chams with these. And since you still need the temp drop unless these are connected to a thermostat they can provide a much hotter spot then desired at night.

I'm not sure how old he is. He's still pretty small and I got him at petsmart so they were not overly helpful.

Right now I only have the calcium powder that came with the starter kit. What else should I get and how often to use it?

According to another post I made, he does have the tarsal spur so definitely a boy!
Can you put something in a photo of him that shows his size please?

As for supplements…it’s recommended to dust lightly with a phos free calcium powder at all feedings but two a month. On those 2 feedings (two weeks apart) dust lightly with a vitamin powder that has D3 and a prEformed source of vitamin A in it.

Back
Top Bottom