Help with wc

Foist

Im thinking about getting a wc male but I want to be sure he isnt stressed. WHat can I do to make him feel at home? I will have about 2 days almost to be right next to him if needed to mist him. then 2 days of school then 2 more days off then back to a normal school routine.

Im thinking about getting a wc male but I want to be sure he isnt stressed. WHat can I do to make him feel at home? I will have about 2 days almost to be right next to him if needed to mist him. then 2 days of school then 2 more days off then back to a normal school routine.

Unless you are planning on adding him to a breeding group, my recommendation is dont! I have already given you some great advice in another thread. What are you questions?? Do you have a automatic misting system? If not get one first!! What any WC needs first is privacy and rain/hydration.

Unless you are planning on adding him to a breeding group, my recommendation is dont! I have already given you some great advice in another thread. What are you questions?? Do you have a automatic misting system? If not get one first!! What any WC needs first is privacy and rain/hydration.

I don't have an automatic. I can be home most of the time now until summer football. I'm just not sure how much harder they are to keep. I would breed him also. How to I get a fecal done it will be my first if I go through with this.

I don't have an automatic. I can be home most of the time now until summer football. I'm just not sure how much harder they are to keep. I would breed him also. How to I get a fecal done it will be my first if I go through with this.

As someone with a bit of experience I will say Don't! They are MUCH harder!! I run mistings on WC for 10-15min in the morning and for 4-5 min 3 more times throughout the day. They have been SO traumatized that sometimes it takes them a long time to drink and that's THE most important part. Many will not drink with you watching. Check on fecals, I do my own but my vet charges $40 for a fecal and that doesn't include the visit exam or meds. If you haven't been able to invest in a misting system, it will be very hard to invest in what a WC needs to pull through. And with all that said some never make the transition even under the best care.
It sounds like I am being harsh but I am really not. I really am just trying to help.

As someone with a bit of experience I will say Don't! They are MUCH harder!! I run mistings on WC for 10-15min in the morning and for 4-5 min 3 more times throughout the day. They have been SO traumatized that sometimes it takes them a long time to drink and that's THE most important part. Many will not drink with you watching. Check on fecals, I do my own but my vet charges $40 for a fecal and that doesn't include the visit exam or meds. If you haven't been able to invest in a misting system, it will be very hard to invest in what a WC needs to pull through. And with all that said some never make the transition even under the best care.
It sounds like I am being harsh but I am really not. I really am just trying to help.

Not harsh at all. I feel like its the only way to get a good looking Cham any more that isn't at a crazy price.

Not harsh at all. I feel like its the only way to get a good looking Cham any more that isn't at a crazy price.

It's not a good price...when you factor in meds, cleaning supplies (I removed my cages every week and sprayed them down with 12% hydrogen peroxide so the Cham would not keep reinfecting themselves) not cheap, fecals etc....it's not a good price. It costs more if you do it right.

Hi, the price of a wild caught is cheaper because typically "IF" you want to possibly make a long term captive out of the animal. It takes a lot of time and a bit of money too. Plan on spending money for medications, vet visit, sometimes gas for trips to the vet, etc...The con to all this is even with all this time and money you spend. The animal may still not adjust to captive life and ultimately ending in its demise.

I understand if this is something you want to do and try but dont go at it thinking you are saving money :)

Captive is the way to go believe me.

Last edited:
It's not a good price...when you factor in meds, cleaning supplies (I removed my cages every week and sprayed them down with 12% hydrogen peroxide so the Cham would not keep reinfecting themselves) not cheap, fecals etc....it's not a good price. It costs more if you do it right.

Ya your right. I might try to keep them when I have more experience and I can support them. Thanks for all the help.

Back
Top Bottom