HELP PLZ both eyes closed and cant feed him

AlexJ

Hi I have a baby 3 month old veiled chameleon male. He has been having issues with his left eye being closed, now his right eye is closed so he cannot see. I took him to the vet and they cannot figure out whats wrong with him. Please help someone. I also do not know how to feed him since his eyes are closed. I started hiving him vitamin A flukers drops.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled, Male, about 3 months old, had him for a bout a month
  • Handling - Not too often only when he eats he crawls on me like once a day
  • Feeding - Mealworms and crickets, 2 times a day so around 8 a day, feeding lettuce, tomatoes and apples to feeders.
  • Supplements - Repti Calcium without D3 every day, and reptivite with D3 2 a week.
  • Watering - I use an eye dropper to make him drink
  • Fecal Description - Looks normal brown color, never been tested.
  • History - N/A

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen 10x10x12 cage
  • Lighting - 1. Zoo med repti basking spot lamp, and for UVB I use Arcadia ShadeDweller Pro 7% UV-B Kit
  • Temperature - ranges from 75 deg to 90 deg. Lowest at night is about 65-70 deg. I have a thermostat
  • Humidity - Humidity stays about 20%-50 %, I have a mister
  • Plants - Artificial Plants
  • Location - NY

Are you giving the reptivite with d3 twice a week? If so, this is too often. Baby is also a bit hot.

Try and provide some extra hydration for him. This will help work out the extra supplements and babies can overheat very easily and become dehydrated. With his temp at 90, he will probably need extra water.

How should I give him water with his eyes being closed? I dont know how to feed or give him water because he cannot see it.

Sounds good
Hi Alex, can you post pictures of your enclosure and chameleon? Without photos it's hard to figure out what's going on? Also from my understanding the shade dweller UVB's are not the same as the HO, if you ordered online can you share the link of the exact one you bought? If you did not buy online send a pic of the fixture and bulb itself please :)

Hi I have a baby 3 month old veiled chameleon male. He has been having issues with his left eye being closed, now his right eye is closed so he cannot see. I took him to the vet and they cannot figure out whats wrong with him. Please help someone. I also do not know how to feed him since his eyes are closed. I started hiving him vitamin A flukers drops.

Chameleon Info:
  • Feeding - Mealworms and crickets, 2 times a day so around 8 a day, feeding lettuce, tomatoes and apples to feeders.
  • Supplements - Repti Calcium without D3 every day, and reptivite with D3 2 a week.
  • Watering - I use an eye dropper to make him drink
  • History - N/A

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen 10x10x12 cage
  • Lighting - 1. Zoo med repti basking spot lamp, and for UVB I use Arcadia ShadeDweller Pro 7% UV-B Kit
  • Temperature - ranges from 75 deg to 90 deg. Lowest at night is about 65-70 deg. I have a thermostat
  • Location - NY
Hi there welcome to the forum. See my feedback in red... If you could please post pics of the baby and the entire set up that would be helpful.

Hi I have a baby 3 month old veiled chameleon male. He has been having issues with his left eye being closed, now his right eye is closed so he cannot see. I took him to the vet and they cannot figure out whats wrong with him. Please help someone. I also do not know how to feed him since his eyes are closed. I started hiving him vitamin A flukers drops. Stop the vitamin A drops asap. This will make baby worse.

Chameleon Info:

• Feeding - Mealworms and crickets, 2 times a day so around 8 a day, feeding lettuce, tomatoes and apples to feeders. A baby this young should be able to take down about 3 dozen feeders a day. Mealworms really are not the best to feed due to their nutritional level. I would stick to 1/4 inch size crickets. See feeder image and gutload sheet.
  • Supplements - Repti Calcium without D3 every day, and reptivite with D3 2 a week. Reptivite should only be used 2 times a month say the 1st and the 15th.
  • Watering - I use an eye dropper to make him drink... Not ideal if this has been the long term way of hydrating.
  • History - N/A
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen 10x10x12 cage. This is extremely small for a baby even.
  • Lighting - 1. Zoo med repti basking spot lamp, and for UVB I use Arcadia ShadeDweller Pro 7% UV-B Kit So the UVB is the wrong kind. This is the major issue right here. The one you purchased is designed for shade dwelling species like geckos. It does not put out the correct UVB levels or UVA levels that a Chameleon needs. You need a new T5HO fixture and either a 5.0 or 6% bulb for it. You would then use this fixture and bulb and have a distance of 8-9 inches between the bottom of the fixture and the highest branches. Or lift the fixture 4 inches off the top and baby will be exposed to correct UVI with a branch 5 inches below the screen.
  • Temperature - ranges from 75 deg to 90 deg. Lowest at night is about 65-70 deg. I have a thermostat.. This is the other major issue. Babies this young should never have heat hotter than about 78-80 max at basking. Otherwise they dehydrate rapidly.
  • Location - NY

This will explain why your UVB is not working... This and the temps being far too hot are the two major issues. https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...ot-the-same-as-the-22-5-6-ho-fixtures.191400/

Attachments

• chameleon-food(1).jpg
    chameleon-food(1).jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 16
  • chameleon-gutload.jpg
    chameleon-gutload.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
reptivite with D3 2 a week
Hi and welcome. Very glad that you’ve found your way here. :)
The ReptiVite with D3 is a great multivitamin to use, but you are using it too frequently. You want to use it for one feeding every other week which works out to twice a month.
It would be so very helpful if you post some pics of your little one and enclosure.

Hi and welcome. Very glad that you’ve found your way here. :)
The ReptiVite with D3 is a great multivitamin to use, but you are using it too frequently. You want to use it for one feeding every other week which works out to twice a month.
It would be so very helpful if you post some pics of your little one and enclosure.
totally missed the word week. I have edited my feedback. thanks hun.

Back
Top Bottom