Help!!! My Chameleon is going to die!!

kk1020man

So...I bought a Flapneck Chameleon at a reptile expo about six weeks ago. He was doing great...eating, drinking, basking, basically acting like a regular chameleon. His bone structure, eyes and color looked good. We had him in a cage that was too small for him so we upgraded to a 125 gallon reptarium. It has several fake plants, an automatic mister, a dripper and a tupperware bowl for crickets and worms which are dusted with a chamleon specific dust.
Within the past couple of weeks his eyes have become sunken and he lays hunched over and limp in basically one area of his cage. He doesn't really move very much, his eyes are sunken, his color is dull and I haven't seen him eat or drink recently (although there is poop, which means he has to have eaten something). This afternoon, around 7 I saw him with his eyes closed and his lights don't turn off until 10:30!
There is such a lack of information about this type of chameleon that I don't know what exactly is wrong. The "breeder" explained that their care is the opposite of a veiled, cooler temps and higher humidity. His temps range from 70-85 and humidity about 50-65%.
Right now I am at a loss with what to do. If anyone out there has any idea what I am doing wrong or what may be wrong or any advice on how to fix this please, PLEASE let me know!! I will be forever greatful!

Other people on here are better qualified to help you with this species...however, you can start with this. He sounds dehydrated for sure with the sunken eyes. Your going to have to get some water in him. He is probably too weak for showers but you need to very heavily mist his cage every hour or so and if you can get him to open his mouth you can use a syringe without needle to geve him a few cc's of water. If you don't do this very quickly , it will be too late if it isn't already. If you can get some water down him this will buy you a little more time until you can see a vet. Good luck and keep us posted. David

Back
Top Bottom