He is dying.

It's a pain in the butt to clean and not all chams take to it. Dripper system is cheaper and better for them. And hand misting. To get a better hand mister you can go to Home depot and buy one of those hand pump misters they use for weed killer but they have empty ones that have never had weed killer in it. I use one of those right now for my boys outside then during cold seasons bring my boys inside and they get my mistking. I plan to build a 24/7 outside enclosure for all year round use. Just will be a lot of work.

I bought a pressure mister on Amazon for maybe $20. It works great! I have a mistking I just havent set it up yet due to shifting cages.... but if I only had one cage to worry about then this is a great alternative!

I bought a pressure mister on Amazon for maybe $20. It works great! I have a mistking I just havent set it up yet due to shifting cages.... but if I only had one cage to worry about then this is a great alternative!

I paid under 10 bones for this one and it's working out just fine

@veiledmav, you already have lots of experienced keepers chiming in and I don't have much to add. I just wanted to encourage you to keep up the effort. I'm rooting for you guys! :D

It's tough when you don't have resources of your own to work with - I remember struggling to obtain what my critters needed when I was around your age. You're doing your best, and no one can fault you for that! Maybe you can find an afterschool gig to earn a couple extra bucks? I ended up helping the neighbors with their farm chores (I grew up in the country) and working at a local diner (dish washer). I managed to scrape ogether enough to upgrade things as needed, and pay for veterinary expenses when my mum wasn't willing. Bless her, she never has liked paying for veterinary care unless it's dire, and then only for specific pets (I.e. the dogs, not my varied birds haha!).

These lovelies have you covered, but I'll be lurking if I see anything I can chime in with. :)

Best of luck!

~Amanda

Read this whole thread this morning and want to just say how wonderful and wholesome it is to see the community come to the aid of little Maverick! And I’m incredibly impressed by the way you’re handling this situation. It’s a more mature and graceful response than I would have and I’m almost twice your age! Keep doing what you’re doing and making the best out of this situation! If it gets to a more dire point, you could even try setting up a GoFundMe or something to help with the vet bills.

@veiledmav how is Maverick today ?
Maverick was doing great yesterday, and he was green and sassy, and I set up the drip system and the two thermometers yesterday, and found bird poop all over the cage (and a little on him), and I cleaned it all up, and pulled out the removeable floor, and he had his tail hanging on the outside where the foloor was, so I had to give him a little nudge to move his tail, and he did NOT like thta. and the thermometers keep coming of the cage because the humidity is causing the sticky part to be not sticky, so I just got home tofind him on the floor, with his foot stuck on one of them. I moved him to my back patio this morning with the uvb light and the heat lamp because the lawn service was coming today, and I haven't seen him drink at all, and when I got home today, he was slipping and sliding on the water that is pooling at the bottom of the cage, and my dad won't let me drill holes in the bottom to let the water out, and he is brown now, and it is very dry today, and his humidity is only 10% so I am wondering if I should take him in.

Maverick was doing great yesterday, and he was green and sassy, and I set up the drip system and the two thermometers yesterday, and found bird poop all over the cage (and a little on him), and I cleaned it all up, and pulled out the removeable floor, and he had his tail hanging on the outside where the foloor was, so I had to give him a little nudge to move his tail, and he did NOT like thta. and the thermometers keep coming of the cage because the humidity is causing the sticky part to be not sticky, so I just got home tofind him on the floor, with his foot stuck on one of them. I moved him to my back patio this morning with the uvb light and the heat lamp because the lawn service was coming today, and I haven't seen him drink at all, and when I got home today, he was slipping and sliding on the water that is pooling at the bottom of the cage, and my dad won't let me drill holes in the bottom to let the water out, and he is brown now, and it is very dry today, and his humidity is only 10% so I am wondering if I should take him in.
Your hygrometers might be reading your humidity incorrectly. I have a really hard time believing you are at 10% humidity in Florida. I am not even at 10% humidity in Denver!

Ok love take a breath !. If you have Grilla flue or a hot gun , you can glue a magnet to the thermometer that’s what I do with ours . I use both Digital and not .

You can use a plastic bottom for a planter then add mesh so he can’t fall in to it . You will need to get the water out daily use a turkey Bastet works fine . You may want to add lots and lots of branches if you can’t get more plants .

Your hygrometers might be reading your humidity incorrectly. I have a really hard time believing you are at 10% humidity in Florida. I am not even at 10% humidity in Denver!
You you may be right, because the humidity outside right now is 35%, it says my weather app. Do you think I should take him in? And by the way the temperature is 94

You you may be right, because the humidity outside right now is 35%, it says my weather app. Do you think I should take him in? And by the way the temperature is 94
I think that moving him around too much might cause him unnecessary stress, but I would wait until someone more experience chimes in. And maybe talk to your dad to figure out a way to get drainage in your enclosure without drilling holes, because you really shouldn't have a pool of water at the bottom of your enclosure.

No, he has the drill, and he says he doesn’t want the water to rust the cage stand, and I told him about putting a bucket under it and he still said no. And, I moved maverick into the house because it was just way too hot
and he’s not looking so good. That is him right now and his irate and poo

With those temps he needs tons of cover . I know it’s so very hard for you . Your not working with your own funds to get what maverick needs .

Back
Top Bottom