He is dying.

I feel the same , she is at the mercy of parents . She has so much maturity so very proud of her . I’m hoping maybe dad will join the site . Maybe he would listen and or chat with a few of the gentlemen on the thread . Not that us ladies don’t know the care but maybe it would be received better from a man .
I am calling him right now. I hope this goes well
Edit: nvm he din't answer, I will let you know when he calls back

Personally, having a similar dad ... I wouldn’t suggest he join the site unless he has an interest in helping. My dad would have seen that as me arguing, in an insulting way, and would have made him even more sour on the subject. At least maybe give him a day to process and calm down so he doesn’t think you are being argumentative.

I’ve been trying to keep up but its a very active thread. Is Mav still staying on the bottom mostly? Or is he maybe going to the bottom to try to get out of direct sun/heat? I’d be concerned about the standing water - can you maybe slightly raise the cage or floor panel? Doesn’t have to be much (and you dont want it so much that he can escape or something else can enter)... but maybe a very slight tilt in the bottom will help some water run off. Like maybe slide a milk cap under one corner or something? Since you can drill?

Personally, having a similar dad ... I wouldn’t suggest he join the site unless he has an interest in helping. My dad would have seen that as me arguing, in an insulting way, and would have made him even more sour on the subject. At least maybe give him a day to process and calm down so he doesn’t think you are being argumentative.

I’ve been trying to keep up but its a very active thread. Is Mav still staying on the bottom mostly? Or is he maybe going to the bottom to try to get out of direct sun/heat? I’d be concerned about the standing water - can you maybe slightly raise the cage or floor panel? Doesn’t have to be much (and you dont want it so much that he can escape or something else can enter)... but maybe a very slight tilt in the bottom will help some water run off. Like maybe slide a milk cap under one corner or something? Since you can drill?
I sure hope he will think of maverick. Being a mom my self , divorce from someone with kinda the same personality I see your point . Maybe he would listen to some of the gentlemen on the thread . We can only hope for the best .

Having someone gift you a sick Chameleon is like getting hit by an uninsured driver. Its not your fault, but it is your problem.

Make a list of your needs and prioritize them. Ask your parents if you can do jobs around the house for extra $.

Explain to them that there are certain things you need, and you also have to have some extra $ as a contingency. Most people suggest bringing a chameleon to a vet 2x a year for a fecal sample.

You may not get anywhere, but you can try to explain that arboreal reptiles tend to be hard to care for. Chameleons can be one of the more difficult ones to care for as well. Difficult means $$$.

I kind of did the same thing with my father over reef aquariums. He just wasnt a detail guy. That said, I was always fidning ways to make extra money. So it was my money I was spending.

Apologies if its been advised already but if your Dad really thinks you're giving up then link this thread to him. If he took the time to read it, he'd see how dilligent you are at doing what's best for the cham. He'd also learn that dumping a sick chameleon on you is much more of a burden than he might have given any thought to. If this is really the case (two sides to every story) then he needs to share some of the resposibility of doing the right thing and not put it all on you. Good luck!

My parents decided that they were going to let me take Maverick to a rescue, but there are not many in florida and the closesest one is 2 hours away so I am going to call some rescues to see if they will pick him up. And if not, I am going to trade him in at the pet store for anther pet(I don't like that idea at all, but that's what my parents said. And we are selling all his stuff if anyone wants it.

My parents decided that they were going to let me take Maverick to a rescue, but there are not many in florida and the closesest one is 2 hours away so I am going to call some rescues to see if they will pick him up. And if not, I am going to trade him in at the pet store for anther pet(I don't like that idea at all, but that's what my parents said. And we are selling all his stuff if anyone wants it.

So very proud of you . @jannb can you help here ?

Try and find an organization like this (I think PAWS is just local to WA)
https://www.paws.org/about/paws/

Last year at this time I found a baby Stellar's Jay on my street, he was in really, really bad shape. One eye looked like it might be missed and neck curved to one direction. I scooped him up and placed it on my lawn in the shade fully confident he would soon die. When I checked back later that afternoon he was still alive. So I google rescue in my area and drove the bird 20 miles to this rescue. I was either going to kiss it with the shovel or take it to the resuce. The rescue asked if I would like to be notified the results (dead or alive) by email and I told them yes. A month later PAWS emailed me saying the Jay was rehabilitated and released! I have since donated to them.

I'm glad that your parents finally came to terms with what Mav needs. You did a great job convincing them.

I think @jannb might be able to help love . She has a lot of contact. Let’s see what she says ❤.
Ok, thank you! I have almost called all of them, and only one picked up and told me that they can't pick him up and that I would have to bring him, but my mom won't drive that far and I don't think he will make the ride

Ok, thank you! I have almost called all of them, and only one picked up and told me that they can't pick him up and that I would have to bring him, but my mom won't drive that far and I don't think he will make the ride
I think I found the perfect place! It's called Nanny's Educational Zoo in Lutz Florida, and they are willing to meet me in the middle to pick him up on Sunday

Back
Top Bottom