Greenhouses

I'm looking into getting a greenhouse. Are there greenhouses pre-built to accept UVA/B? Or is that something you have to change? If you have the property for a greenhouse it sounds like a good idea with chameleons. If you have any website's or other info that will help me pick the best one out please let me know. Thanks!

I'm looking into getting a greenhouse. Are there greenhouses pre-built to accept UVA/B? Or is that something you have to change? If you have the property for a greenhouse it sounds like a good idea with chameleons. If you have any website's or other info that will help me pick the best one out please let me know. Thanks!

Greenhouse are great except they can be expensive. DGray lists in this thread a number of companies that make greenhouses you can buy that I recommend reading. For UVB ray friendly greenhouses (allows UVB rays through) there are only a couple of companies that makes that kind of coverings. If you give me a second I'm going to find the website of one of the best known producers of UVB friendly greenhouses.

This is the main one I'm aware of.

http://www.spartech.com/

Last edited:
Greenhouse are good except they can be expensive. DGray lists in this thread a number of companies that make greenhouses you can buy that I recommend looking at. For UVB ray friendly greenhouses (allows UVB rays through) there are only a couple of companies that makes that kind of coverings. If you give me a second I'm going to find the website of one of the best known producers of UVB friendly greenhouses.

This is the main one I'm aware off.

http://www.spartech.com/

Cool. Thanks a bunch. I'll research it and bookmark that site. Time for sleep. Zzzzz.

Here's some pictures of my Chameleons in the greenhouse.

Socrates

IMG_0338.jpg

Rhino

IMG_0314.jpg

IMG_0336.jpg

IMG_0337.jpg

I'm in the process of changing all the branches in the greenhouse. They are starting to become old and funky.

Gorgeous chameleons! Do they get along together in the green house or do they have seperate areas that they can not leave?

Gorgeous chameleons! Do they get along together in the green house or do they have seperate areas that they can not leave?

Jann they actually have their own cages. The picture of Rhino is actually him in his giant screen cage. However there is a free range area as well and when they free range I free range them one at a time.

It is 105F out today here in central California and the swamp coolers and misters are keeping the greenhouse cooler at the new location (more shading from oak trees at this location). The greenhouse is right at 78F which is perfect.

I would love to try this some day but sadly I don't think this would work out here in vegas :(

I have kept my chameleons inside the greenhouse with outside temperature at 115F. At the old location the swamp cooler plus the misters have kept the greenhouse at about 80F. This new location and with this cooling system has been keeping the greenhouse at about 78F.

Chad for extra shade I built a shade panel that covers about 1/3 of Rhinos cage and actually makes an area a bit cooler than the rest of the greenhouse for Rhino to hang out for the day if he chooses. The panthers love the high humidity with the temps just under 80F. If any of them cannot handle the heat and start showing signs of heat stress I can bring them inside where there is AC.:D

I know many of you had expressed concerns about a Metal Halide being used in my greenhouse, especially in regards to a cool weather species such as Rhino my Parsons. I have got to say, even though I'm still working toward it being used as a source of some UVB, that it is working out great in the greenhouse. If I come back from Davis and the hour is late I can turn on the Halide and work late in the greenhouse and not postpone choirs until the next day. It is great with the chameleons as they can have a drink and feeding before sleeping for the night, then situate themselves in their favorite sleeping spots before I turn off the light. I think this allows the chameleons to recuperate and re-situate themselves fast after the drive.

Back
Top Bottom