Greenhouses

During the move before the greenhouse had water, electric or gas installed I had a couple of big cages inside the house with Zoo Med 10.0 bulbs plus large ficus's for them to free range. Now that the greenhouse is going I can just put Zoo Med bulbs over the cages in the greenhouse until I work out something with the Metal Halide.

As there is no doubt that natural sunlight is the best source of UV rays for chameleons I have a couple of outdoor sun cage that I can move the chameleons into on a nice day.

You should be very careful with the MH and the parsons, they are very sensitive to bright light and will burn in natural sunlight after a shed.

I could have my chameleons in the greenhouse to see if it makes sense for me to even consider. Wow it would be nice to have.

I was like that for about 10 years then my family and I chipped in and actually got one. Like chamelisa I'm in the greenhouse all the time normally three to four times a day and it meets all my pre greenhouse hype, anyways its amazing.

You should be very careful with the MH and the parsons, they are very sensitive to bright light and will burn in natural sunlight after a shed.

When I find a system that works it is not going to be on a time scale of UV requirement lighting from tube bulbs. The halide is going to be a supplement and only on for two to three hours in the morning. With the Parsons his cage is only going to receive indirect light from the halide and the cage he is in is going to be heavily planted and is going to have plenty of retreat areas if the halide starts to bother him. Ideally though I want to find panels compatible with my greenhouse that lets UVB and UVA rays through. That job is not yet done though.

Just fed my male Parsons Rhino a couple king worms off the screen of his cage and had a couple of chile rellenos and enchiladas on the back patio. Today is a Good day.

All my chameleons are doing great and just had to note a detail. I have stated this before, however, I have got to say again the humidity in the greenhouse is probably the closest thing that anyone is going to find that replicates the humidity of a tropical climate. I have worked with glass terrariums before in the past that retain some humidity, however, they nowhere match the quality of the humidity produced in a greenhouse. The air is humid and fresh air at the same time especially with the swamp coolers on. While the air in some terrariums is humid however can become stagnant do to the lack of air flow. Just some notes about the greenhouse.

Last edited:
First day of the year that I have had the misters on all day. The temperature is over 100F and during the middle of the day when the greenhouse receives all the sun with no shade means the greenhouse with swamp coolers on would be at 85F. The misters that are in the greenhouse are similar to the misters on the sidelines of a football game that cools off the sideline players with a fine mist and keeps the temperatures even in 115F weather outside temperatures at 78F. Another greenhouse note.

If worse come to worse I can bring everyone inside to the house that has got AC .

Last edited:
I finished Rhino my male Parsons cage meaning the greenhouse is for the most part done. I have got to arrange plants and branches then after that is done I'm going to post plenty of pictures.

I picked up a load of large circumference branches for my chameleons cage by going through the cuttings piles in the agriculture areas in the valley. I mostly have been collecting fresh Mulberry, Eucalyptus ,and Walnut branches. However I hear Apple branches are good from forum members as well and am going to experiment with those.

Last edited:
Here's an updated set of pictures of my greenhouse.

Greenhouse.jpg

Heater and halide

HeaterandHalide.jpg

My Parsons cage that is about equal to a 1025 gallon terrarium.

GreenhouseParsosnscage.jpg

The smaller free range area

Freerange.jpg

Guess what kind of plant?

Sequoia.jpg

Rhino my male Parsons

ParsonsPicture.jpg

My Panther Cages

Panthercage2.jpg

Panthercage1.jpg

Secret cage

Panthercage3.jpg

Last edited:
As you can see the chlorine in the tap water has stopped the algae growth in the greenhouse since the move off the ranch. A big plus of moving off of well water. The extra calcium in the water was neat for the chameleons though.

Last edited:
....aaaaand I'm jealous. Rhino looks like he's happy and spoiled. That is parsonii keeping done right. I love the huge cages, wish I had the room for multiple parsonii/dog runs.

Just can't figure out how to keep a greenhouse cool in the summer without sprouting trees up all around it. Your electric bill can't be pretty. Our new place is going to have very limited shade cover. The best I can think of is a tool shed with climate control...glass will just trap and keep all the heat. We get some days up here near 105F and I can't let the Giant Fischer's heat up past 80 for very long.

....aaaaand I'm jealous. Rhino looks like he's happy and spoiled. That is parsonii keeping done right. I love the huge cages, wish I had the room for multiple parsonii/dog runs.

Just can't figure out how to keep a greenhouse cool in the summer without sprouting trees up all around it. Your electric bill can't be pretty. Our new place is going to have very limited shade cover. The best I can think of is a tool shed with climate control...glass will just trap and keep all the heat. We get some days up here near 105F and I can't let the Giant Fischer's heat up past 80 for very long.

Thanks!!

The electric is expensive with the swamp cooler and propane heater. However, other than living in the tropics it is the best way to recreate high humidity of the tropics that I have found. When the swamp cooler is not keeping the greenhouse cool enough I turn on the misting system and it keeps the greenhouse at about 78-80 even in the hottest weather. If there is any problems I can just bring everyone inside the house to the AC and Rhino can hang out on his favorite ficus.

Last edited:
Hey, that's an easy one: the Bigtree, _Sequoiadendron_ (plus, you put the name in the photo filename) :)

Yeah that would make it easier to guess.

Next time I'll check and not post the name, and give you one that is not easy to guess by default.:D DGray I figured that would be an easy one for you.

Kind of neat though I have got the biggest tree and the biggest chameleon in the world in the same greenhouse.

The Parsons cage was way to big to bring through the greenhouse door. I had to build the panels outside then assemble them in the greenhouse. That was the only way I could conceive of making that cage fit. If I ever buy one of Conleys 6 foot extension I'm going to build a second duplicate cage of this first giant greenhouse cages.

Last edited:
Here's an updated set of pictures of my greenhouse.

Greenhouse.jpg

Anyone looking into swamp coolers and green houses... THAT is how it is supposed to be setup.

Swamp coolers are evaporative cooling devices. They draw in hot dry air and have fins with water running down them. As the air passes the cool water it causes the water to evaporate, this cools the air. If the air being drawn into a swamp cooler is humid, the water won't evaporate. The greater the difference in humidity the greater the cooling power.

Thanks summoner12!

During hot weather when the swamp cooler going it is important when planning a greenhouse arrangement to put all the species that prefer cooler temperatures near the main flow of air coming from the swamp cooler. This is normally the coolest air in the greenhouse and is going to make a more effective arrangement of the species of chameleons that you are keeping. The air stream when my swamp cooler is running is normally 2-3 degrees less that what the overall temperature for the greenhouse is.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom