Greenhouses

too tough for me

Panthercage1.jpg

Here is a couple more difficult plants to ID. What are these two?

Those are too tough for me. I remember you said you had ylang-ylang, so I guess that is the one on the right.

No that's not the Ylang Ylang. I have to check the tags then I'll post what they are. The Ylang Ylang is in with the Parsons except it has been trimmed way back and would not be recognizable. As well I'm replacing the Schefflera in the big cage and replacing it for a Lychee.

I'm installing a carbon filter to remove chlorine from the tap water. The chameleons drink the tap water however greatly preferred the well water on the ranch. Plus I think the tap water irritates their eyes and with regular mistings for humidity I'm going to switch to no chlorine. I'm expecting algae growth to become a problem again on the greenhouse.

No the chameleons are not inside I have not installed the electric, gas, or water yet.

Although the downward swing is not that terrible at night the greenhouse has a skin made with two layers and retains heat remarkably well.

Also look into cooling, ventilation is typical but works amazing well is "misting" the green house itself.

We use these setup with a greenhouse to propagate corals... but our temps you want to keep below 80.

Also look into cooling, ventilation is typical but works amazing well is "misting" the green house itself.

We use these setup with a greenhouse to propagate corals... but our temps you want to keep below 80.

Thanks!! I have been using misting as a cooling mechanism for about three years now. It keeps the greenhouse between 78-80F.

OK, I give up; what are those two plants?

Sorry DGray the plant on the left is Pseuderanthermum reticuatum the plant on the right I can not find the tag and going to have to check with the guys at the UC Davis greenhouse. I must confess I have not checked if those two are toxic. The chameleon I keep with them Raiden my Ambanja panther has never shown tendencies to eating plants. I probably should check on that ASAP. Once I ID the other plant I am going to post what it is.

Last edited:
Misting is a great way to cool an environment. Evaporative cooling is great if the conditions are right.

It is the only way to go if the temperatures are over 95F. When temperatures are 95F or less the swamp coolers keep the greenhouse at 80F or lower. However if the outside temperatures are higher than 95F misting is the only way to keep the temperatures 80F and lower.

Sorry DGray the plant on the left is Pseuderanthermum reticuatum the plant on the right I can not find the tag and going to have to check with the guys at the UC Davis greenhouse. I must confess I have not checked if those two are toxic. The chameleon I keep with them Raiden my Ambanja panther has never shown tendencies to eating plants. I probably should check on that ASAP. Once I ID the other plant I am going to post what it is.

Thanks.
AFAIK, Pseuderanthemums sp. are unpalatable, but not dangerously toxic.

I'm putting in a carbon filter to remove chlorine from tap water. Being out on the ranch chlorine was never a problem as I was using well water. The chameleons drink the tap water reluctantly and with the regular mistings to maintain high humidity the chlorine I think was irritating their eyes. With the carbon filter their is an attachment for a Reverses Osmosis unit that I may upgrade to in the future and is a unit others on these forums have used for their chameleons.

Last edited:
First over cast day of the year and I turned on the Metal Halide with the UV filter on. Other being an unproductive day with out much light. The greenhouse was lit up for the entire evening. None of the cages are directly beneath the metal halide and only receive indirect lighting. Although the light lights up the entire greenhouse. One point of interest is that Rhino my male Parsons went to the spot in his cage and was siting in the spot that received the most light and looked to be enjoying his self. Pictures soon.

DGray sorry it is taking so long I'm going to ID that second plant and post what it is.

Last edited:
Finally I have got an incomplete ID of the second plant directly here with the greenhouse guys at UC Davis. The last plant is from Madagascar. Its family is Bignoniaceae and genus is Stereospermum. That is the best we could find sorry no species name.

That secret cage doesnt have what I think it has in it does it? Only judging from the bramble I see in there. Very nice greenhouse!

I think I may have solved the algae problem in the greenhouse. Now that I have got a chlorine filter and the algae starts to grow every couple weeks I just remove the chlorine filter and spray chlorinated water for one to two days and have it stop the algae from establishing and growing. I'm crossing my fingers hoping this works to stop algae growth in the my greenhouse.

Last edited:
new to me

Finally I have got an incomplete ID of the second plant directly here with the greenhouse guys at UC Davis. The last plant is from Madagascar. Its family is Bignoniaceae and genus is Stereospermum. That is the best we could find sorry no species name.

Sorry, that plant is new to me. My references have very little on the Malagasy sp.

This is just me adding to my notes. I have had quite a few concerns about my Parsons chameleon being located indirectly under an industrial size metal halide lamp. I have tested the light out an left the metal halide on for the some of the day a couple overcast days and Rhino my male parsons has gone to a branch that is as close as he can possibly be and has had no ill effects. I'm am planing on working with a couple companies eventually to make a glass filter that allows UVB rays through and adding a metal halide bulb that emits UVB rays for some UVB supplementation. If all goes as planned I can find a way to make a UVB supplemental source out of my greenhouses metal halide.

Back
Top Bottom