Grasshopper Piggies

I don’t think i will although I don’t have a chameleon yet they sound pretty costly
They are costly upfront but in the end they are a savings becausecthe death rate is low and you don't feed very many based on size. Example: Feeding 1 large grasshopper = .80 cents , feeding 5 crickets= .65 cent. but i have 5 dead crickets in the critter keeper = .65 cents. Total : Grasshopper = .80
Crickets =1.30
Ther Grasshopper was cheaper

Costco. My new source for free citrus leaves. No one's gonna miss the 5 fallen leaves that ended up in my cart!
20240223_095105.jpg

What problems were you facing with humidity it being to high ?
Yes, the high (35%-40%) humidity caused problems with molting and caused the Americana to die. I have Spotted Bird - Schistocerca Lineata and Gray Bird -Schistocerca Nitens adult grasshoppers and they are doing great. I've had them for over 3 months. The Lineata are mating and laying eggs like crazy. The Nitens are slow at mating. I don't have any eggs. However, one of the nitens laid eggs on top of the soil. @Camiezone is having success with Americana grasshoppers. They are mating and laying eggs like crazy. She keeps them in a 40 gallon aquarium and has had no issues with humidity.

I don't know which are best. My Veiled prefers Nitens (softer exoskeleton). My Panther prefers Lineata ( the exoskeleton is a bit more rigid than the Nitens). Of course Veiled Chams swallow their food while Panthers chew their food.

I don't know which are best. My Veiled prefers Nitens (softer exoskeleton). My Panther prefers Lineata ( the exoskeleton is a bit more rigid than the Nitens). Of course Veiled Chams swallow their food while Panthers chew their food.
Didn’t you have Americana?

Didn’t you have Americana?
Yes, I wasn't able to maintain them. Most of them died from issues with incomplete molting. They require very low humidity. I keep the grasshoppers in the Cham room with daytime humidity of 35 - 45% and a high night-time humidity. I also use Reptibreeze enclosure to house the hoppers. @ Camiezone has Americana and has been successful with mating and laying. She houses her Americana in a 40 gal aquarium.

I have only kept and bred two species of grasshoppers. However I have bred and kept Schistocerca nitens for has got to be 20 generations now though. However from what I have seen all grasshoppers species when kept at optimum conditions can thrive and proliferate. I would choose a couple species and attempt to hone your breeding techniques to those couple of species.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Yes, I wasn't able to maintain them. Most of them died from issues with incomplete molting. They require very low humidity. I keep the grasshoppers in the Cham room with daytime humidity of 35 - 45% and a high night-time humidity. I also use Reptibreeze enclosure to house the hoppers. @ Camiezone has Americana and has been successful with mating and laying. She houses her Americana in a 40 gal aquarium.
Right now I have Americana and you’re right I have had a few die from moulting issues

I have only kept and bred two species of grasshoppers. However I have bred and kept Schistocerca nitens for has got to be 20 generations now though. However from what I have seen all grasshoppers species when kept at optimum conditions can thrive and proliferate. I would choose a couple species and attempt to hone your breeding techniques to those couple of species.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
Is it possible to keep them breeding year around?

I think so. Americana do not not require diapause. The eggs don't require an overwinter. Providing summer like atmospheric conditions, should encourage mating and breeding all year. I think I need to change up the environment for my Nitens. I need more heat to encourage mating.

The Schistocerca species I have got breed seasonally. However I think there other species that are capable of breeding year round such as Differential Grasshoppers (Melanoplus differentialis).

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Back
Top Bottom