Grasshopper Piggies

I would put the eggs in a slightly moist medium and incubate them. Maybe put them in a deli cup with incubation medium.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
The good news is the Nitens actually laid eggs even if they were outside of the lay bins. The Lineata bins are full so maybe they wanted a new lay bin. I just put new Lay bins in on Sunday, for the Lineata. They are full of eggs by Tuesday

Pardon my ignorance, but I am seeking knowledge. :) What is the white stuff around the eggs? Do they make a foamy nest to deposit their eggs in?

Those are not healthy egg cases. Healthy egg cases do not fall apart the way the ones are in the pictures.

You can make an attempt to breed those egg cases though.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
I wonder y they laid the eggs outside of the lay bin. Do you have any tips for getting the nitens to mate? I'm gonna get a rose bush for them this weekend.

Also those were newly laid eggs. Less than 3 hours old. The did not have time to harden.
I wonder y they laid the eggs outside of the lay bin. Do you have any tips for getting the nitens to mate? I'm gonna get a rose bush for them this weekend.
Healthy egg case look similar to a pea pod or Mantis egg case. Theeggs should not be spread out the way your eggs are in the picture.

If you want help about the Schistocerca nitens send me a PM.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

This happens when you give them a fresh lay bin!
20240322_224512.jpg
20240322_224605.jpg

Ok, who wants to explain to me how exactly the hoppers egg laying is done? I know with crickets, they stick their ovapositor in the soil and release their eggs and move on. But the grasshoppers have the froth. So how does that work? They stick their ovapositor in the soil, release their eggs and then also release their insulating foam?

Ok, who wants to explain to me how exactly the hoppers egg laying is done? I know with crickets, they stick their ovapositor in the soil and release their eggs and move on. But the grasshoppers have the froth. So how does that work? They stick their ovapositor in the soil, release their eggs and then also release their insulating foam?
Correct! The foam plugs the hole after the egg pod is laid. See below: ovipostior in soil. Egg pod of Melanoplus Differentialis.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240323_175932_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240323_175932_Gallery.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20240323_175943_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240323_175943_Gallery.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 8
Back
Top Bottom