Dusting Grasshopper Greens

Andrew1283

Chameleon Enthusiast
I was feeding my grasshoppers fresh greens with some dry food in a separate dish. Recently I was dusting my feeders and it hit me….

I decided to wash the
greens like usual and then dusted those greens with nutritious dry powder foods like Repashy Bug Burger, Cricket Crack, and Mazuri Cricket Diet.

This way the hoppers get hydration from the greens and nutrition from the dry food all in one bite. I prefer escarole heads because they’re cheap, available year round, and the hoppers love them. But escarole alone isn’t providing a diverse diet. It does however provide plenty of hydration and believe me on that, because I see it in their poops! This feeding arrangement has been working for a week now and all the food gets eaten with minimal mess or waste.

Last edited:
I will try your way and see if my grasshoppers will like the dry food sprinkled over the fresh greens. I feed romaine and mustard green plus cricket crack on a separate dish bowl. Base on my observation, only few hoppers go to the dry food bowl but definitely they are eating it. Thanks for the idea.

Im feeding the grasshoppers wheat bran, grasshopper feeder dry food ( I purchased this from feed my chameleon.com), wheat grass, squash, carrots, romaine and mustard greens. The Gray Birds and Americana are not big eaters. The Spotted Birds leave no stone unturned. They are piggies. They eat the dry food but it's not their favorite.
20231218_140721.jpg

Im feeding the grasshoppers wheat bran, grasshopper feeder dry food ( I purchased this from feed my chameleon.com), wheat grass, squash, carrots, romaine and mustard greens. The Gray Birds and Americana are not big eaters. The Spotted Birds leave no stone unturned. They are piggies. They eat the dry food but it's not their favorite. View attachment 348358
I tried giving them carrots and apples, and they ignore it. I will try squash next time. But so far with what they are eating, they are staying alive and growing and no die off. My adults are starting to mate and saw few holes on the laying bin, so hoping in the next few moons (maybe 6 months..🤔) I will see babies.

The Americana love the wheat grass.
I tried giving them carrots and apples, and they ignore it. I will try squash next time. But so far with what they are eating, they are staying alive and growing and no die off. My adults are starting to mate and saw few holes on the laying bin, so hoping in the next few moons (maybe 6 months..🤔) I will see babies.
I serve them apple slices and shredded carrots.
20230810_074909.jpg
20230527_173548.jpg

Mine too. I tried butternut squash and sweet potatoes, orange and apple slices and got no real feeding response. The escarole got a huge response but the largely ignored the dry food. When I dust the escarole I get the same vigorous response, and I know they’re getting vitamins too.

I make my own dry grasshopper food because none of the commercially available ones have the correct ingredients for grasshoppers. Keep in mind, it is a dry diet, so they will need a lot of hydration when using this, so pair it with some type of lettuce. You can either dust the lettuce or feed in a separate dish. I do have it available on my website now because @ChamelaChameleon asked 😆
This is the gutload you create and sell correct? https://feedmychameleon.com/products/feeder-grasshopper-gutload

Back
Top Bottom