My Crickets Don’t Die

What kind of bucket to you use? I’ll buy the stuff tomorow to check it out as well.
A black cylindrical 5 gallon bucket is needed so we can test this hypothesis. I’ll buy one for you and have it shipped to your house! They’re on Amazon for $10.00 with Prime delivery. I think it has to be a black bucket and here’s why:

Shark tanks are cylindrical because sharks must swim continuously in order to breathe. Their tanks can’t have corners or obstacles along the perimeter wall which would interrupt their constant motion, like they have in the sea.

I’m wondering if the same principle applies here with crickets. What happens when a cricket escapes? It runs for the nearest perimeter wall and runs along that wall. Mice do the same thing.

When kept in a blacked out, cylindrical enclosure, free of obstacles, crickets will run to the outer wall and follow it continuously, and they never feel trapped. They think they’re running forever. And that feeling of escape could reduce a propensity toward aggression and territorial behavior. A night vision camera might confirm this.

I put the food in the center of the bucket and no egg crate, cardboard, or otherwise.

Now, you could also paint a bucket black or put a black trash bag up over the walls to make it dark. Just make sure it’s new with clean, smooth side walls so they don’t climb out!

This has me thinking it’s not the food that’s keeping them alive but rather the lack of aggression.

Last edited:
A black cylindrical 5 gallon bucket is needed so we can test this hypothesis. I’ll buy one for you and have it shipped to your house! They’re on Amazon for $10.00 with Prime delivery. I think it has to be a black bucket and here’s why:

Shark tanks are cylindrical because sharks must swim continuously in order to breathe. Their tanks can’t have corners or obstacles along the perimeter wall which would interrupt their constant motion, like they have in the sea.

I’m wondering if the same principle applies here with crickets. What happens when a cricket escapes? It runs for the nearest perimeter wall and runs along that wall. Mice do the same thing.

When kept in a blacked out, cylindrical enclosure, free of obstacles, crickets will run to the outer wall and follow it continuously, and they never feel trapped. They think they’re running forever. And that feeling of escape could reduce a propensity toward aggression and territorial behavior. A night vision camera might confirm this.

I put the food in the center of the bucket and no egg crate, cardboard, or otherwise.

Now, you could also paint a bucket black or put a black trash bag up over the walls to make it dark. Just make sure it’s new with clean, smooth side walls so they don’t climb out!

This has me thinking it’s not the food that’s keeping them alive but rather the lack of aggression.
That is wild. You may be on to something her.e!! I wonder how the bug breeders do it.

That is wild. You may be on to something her.e!! I wonder how the bug breeders do it.
They don’t care because they breed in the tens of thousands and if a few hundred die it’s just at cost (which is nothing) and a cost of doing business.

AND they’re certainly not feeding big burger and dragon fuel lolol

They don’t care because they breed in the tens of thousands and if a few hundred die it’s just at cost (which is nothing) and a cost of doing business.

AND they’re certainly not feeding big burger and dragon fuel lolol
This is true. I was just wondering if they maybe breed using the dark rounded buckets as well.

So I just got an order of 500 crickets yesterday. Should I get 2 or more buckets to try this out? Also do you want me to try with just the buckets first to help test your theory?

Back
Top Bottom