Funny Thing Happened, Question?

MadiiMcMB

:eek: Well, today I tried hand-feeding my little Milton some wax worms, and all was fine and fun and games, until he missed and his tongue got stuck to my finger. He couldn't pull his tongue off, so he reeled himself in like reverse fishing, and snap! He latched onto my finger!

My questions are: 1. Well, does this happen often when hand-feeding? haha, it doesn't seem like he got hurt, but dang it, he got me good for only being ten months old. It didn't bleed, but it still stings.

2. What can I do to stop that from happening too much? Poor little guy was scared after that and hid until I started to leave the room. He ate all his crickets, so he's still okay I'm sure.

Attachments

• 100_2045.jpg
    100_2045.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 330
I've heard that happens often. I wonder, has he used it to eat free range crickets and such since then? Sometimes you can hurt them. although not your fault. Their aim just gets a little weird sometimes. maybe next time just try and show more insect and less fingers if possible to give him a better target.

It hasn't happened to me personally but I have heard of that happening.
hope he is ok. funny little guys they are :D

This can be very dangerous and cause tongue damage. I have an adopted panther who has bad aim with his tongue. He has to be hand fed and I know he aims too high so I have to try to compensate for it just after he shoots. Every now and then he will get my finger. The most important thing you can do is not pull back and either stay put or go towards him slowly. If you were to get startled and jerk your hand back you could cause serious damage to his tongue.

This same thing happened to me once. It does sting! And both me and my cham were not happy about it.

Another member, I think it's Psycobunny, has tried wetting the hand you use to feed. He says that seems to keep the tongue from sticking.

And yes, as stated above this can lead to a tongue injury or strain and should be avoided!

Wet your hands before hand feeding. Just run them under water, shake off excess (no towel drying) and put the feeders on your damp hand.
Your cham's tongue will not stick to your skin if it is damp ;)

Thanks!

I never thought about dampening my hands! Thanks, guys, I'm sure Milton wouldn't mind that. To answer ir0k, he did eat crickets and things right after, so no damage was done, other than his ego, I think. He looked at me like it was my fault. lol :) But he's fine, otherwise. Thanks again, everyone!

Back
Top Bottom