Free Ranging Gone Wild

That is amazing. Our families African Grey used to freak out at the sight of a chameleon the entire 15 years he was ours. Did not matter what species T. quadricornis, F. pardalis or C. parsonii. Close or far away when ever Gabriel saw a chameleon he would freak out. The ranch dogs were another story whether they were inside or out he would want to hang out with them.

omg! you should turn that into a childrens book! i'm not kidding! long before we had chams, my son's favorite book was (and still is) Chameleon, Chameleon, by Joy Cowley. A true must have for all Cham families w/ kids! it's kind of like your story, you seriously need to publish this! Good luck!

That is amazing. Our families African Grey used to freak out at the sight of a chameleon the entire 15 years he was ours. Did not matter what species T. quadricornis, F. pardalis or C. parsonii. Close or far away when ever Gabriel saw a chameleon he would freak out. The ranch dogs were another story whether they were inside or out he would want to hang out with them.

Greys are interesting. Mine is 17 and has a weird fetish for shoes. Especially strangers' shoes. I've heard of that in humans, but not birds!

Beachbabies - LOL You are too funny! And sure, you get the first autographed copy. But, wait, how can I autograph a digital book? I don't think they will be making real books by the time I get it done!

Thanks to everyone for the nice comments.

Deb

Too sweet! I used to (and still do) find my free ranging chams in the weirdest places. My panther pair doesn't get too much free range time but they do get a few hours a week when I'm not so busy with classes that I forget and they find the weirdest places to be in.

I'm very interested about how the bird reacts... I was under the impression that parrots would eat small prey lizards?

Is she domesticated and intelligent enough to understand that the chameleon is a pet? My only bird experience comes from my 2 lovebirds, and although intelligent, I could not leave them unsupervised when I let them out to fly

I'm very interested about how the bird reacts... I was under the impression that parrots would eat small prey lizards?

Is she domesticated and intelligent enough to understand that the chameleon is a pet? My only bird experience comes from my 2 lovebirds, and although intelligent, I could not leave them unsupervised when I let them out to fly

Greys supposedly have the intelligence of a 5 year old human and the emotions of a 2 year old. Yes, she is absolutely intelligent enough to know that Phineas is a pet. Would I trust her unsupervised? No. She has never hurt any pet over the years and has a very kind and gentle-natured personality. She will share her food with pet dogs. And when she was outside a month ago, I caught her giving a wild squirrel some food. The squirrel came up on the deck and she climbed down to the sqiurrel and pushed some of her millet through the cage bars to it. But she does get upset if you touch her toys. When Phineas climbed on one of her toys, she didn't go after him though. She grabbed the top chain of the toy and shook it wildly. It didn't phase Phineas. The bird is always caged unless supervised! Unlike Phineas, she will destroy the house - floor, molding, walls - loves to chew anything that belongs to me!

But that's just my grey. I am sure there are some that would love a nice lizard snack! One of my greys favorite meals is chicken wings!

I would like to thank everyone again for the nice feedback and say that my cham does have quite the personality! I do love and enjoy him immensely. And i haven't even begun updates on what he's been up to the last two months!

HOWEVER, you will notice that in any picture I have ever posted, i have NEVER been holding him. He has accepted the bird and I in his living space. Basically ignores us unless he wants something. He will gladly use me as a bridge to get somewhere. But when I see so many pics of people holding their chams or stories of chams coming to their owners - well, you know, there is a trade off.

I love and appreciate him for him. . . but. . . maybe my next cham . . .

This is fantastic and I can't wait for the updates! I have made a nice FR for Claude but he wont stay in it! And I don't have the rest of his room cham proof apparently as he keeps falling (slid off the FR table once, then fell walking off the crested gecko cage onto a Red Solo cup) he was getting all bruised so I have to keep working on safety...I think I need a padded cell!

Back
Top Bottom