Female Veiled

happy

so.... I have had my female veiled(no name yet) since 2 days after Xmas.
my girlfriend bought her for me at a big chain retailer(she knew i wanted one pretty bad, but didn't want to wait). so when i got her, she was about 6-7 inches from snout to tip of tail, and green with a very very slight heart on her left side. i try to snap pics on a daily basis, and my avatar is one i got 3-5 days ago. this morning i woke up opened her cage, put in 2 1.5 inch horn worms(by the way she effing loves those things) and i left her door open.
she wandered out onto a large golden pothos hanging on the wall, and it hit me, yesterday she was showing some good "angry" patterns, today, she is showing a lot of teal and yellow where her angry patterns were. I'm so freaking excited... i measured her a week or so ago, and she is about 12-13 inches.... i have not thrown her on the scale yet..

Im currently in the process of building her a large enclosure, as she is growing like a monster. originally, my plan was to do a 2x2x5 enclosure in a corner.
my girlfriend "talked me" into doing a 2x3x5..... so, ill be posting pics of that when completed...

I believe she will be laying(infertile) eggs soon, as she has been pacing quite a bit or the 18x18x32 is too small and she is trying to get out..(both are a possibility) i hate having such a small enclosure, they make me very uncomfortable.. like I'm a captor(which technically i know is true), or just an chameleon nub..... any ways...
full

Last edited by a moderator:
She looks good. I'm glad that you understand that she will lay eggs regardless of being mated or not. She doesn't look gravid in the pic you posted, but are you offering her a laying bin?

Also, Veiled Chameleons seem to be viv/cage territorial. They tend to be a bit more aggress and sport darker stress-like colors while in their cage. The moment you take them out they calm down and lighten up to the color in your pic. The fact that she is pacing after having wondered out the cage might just be her realization that there is a world "out there". This might not be a bad thing. This would be a good time to offer her a nearby free-range tree/area.

Good luck with her, you seem to have the right mindset.

~Jon

PS: Incase you didn't have a laying bin set up. This might be useful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5usyXP_u4Zc

Jon,
thank you for your reply. I do have an egg laying bin in her enclosure, when her new enclosure is completed, it will be built in with a tree, as Ive had great luck with females laying in planted pots.

To be honest, i was really excited to see she her color coming in, as my last female didn't really get much color(back in '04). When in her enclosure, she usually stays green(until colors started coming in and basking), she doesn't seem to be.... excessively territorial.
I tossed her on the scale the day after i posted that image, weighing in at 100 grams, she is definitely an eater...

I'm an apartment dweller, with a beagle, so im working on a rage that's apartment okay, and dog safe(enclosed). I have a large balcony, so it will probably go outside... im ready for some warmer weather, so she can go outdoors... and enjoy the magic of the real thing...

Ive got some neat stuff I've been working on... for her, that i think some of the members with the larger chameleons will like. If ya want a sneak preview, let me know.....

full

why isn't that video stickied? Its good one.

new stuff: lol... watch that video closely, and watch her eyes... in high speed... they are fabulous....
happy-albums-my-new-veiled-picture29840-female-veiled.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom