Cant find đź’©

chamdy

I have a 6 day old female panther chameleon hatchling. She is currently in a nano cage inside the large enclosure. She has plenty of sticks and one plant inside. I fog at night. Mist before and after lights on off. Use a dripper for a few hours during the day. Humidity at night is 70s (lower end) and 60s (mid) to 50s (high). I have wtnessed her eat one time ( fruit flies) plenty in her cage. But I cant find poop yet. I did do a small wipe out of bottom of cage and looked on all the leaves. No luck...but she is so tiny maybe I am missing it...should I worry this early on. Because i dont want to stress constantly putting my face there to try and catch her eating.

Can you share a picture of the full enclosure including lights on the top? Babies are really fragile I’m going to tag a few people that have some experience with babies to help you out. @JacksJill @Camiezone

She is in the nano on the bottom.

Attachments

• 20240121_145524.jpg
    20240121_145524.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 15
Do baby isn’t getting any uvb that way. You’ll need to fix that asap.

@Beman can you provide insight? I am not familiar with hatchlings

Can you share how close the uvb should be to the nano. Because i measured it six inches above the nano cage.

I am not experienced with hatchlings, but I imagine it would be the tiniest of poos and could easily get lost in the soil of the plant. Maybe you could cover the soil of the plant with a paper towel for better poo visibility when she does go?

You will need to put the UVB light a few inches above the cage she is in. She needs to be able to move in and out of the zone as she wants to.

So you want the T5HO UVB with a 5.0 bulb to be 4 inches above her little nano cage.

The concern here is if you are fogging or misting into the big cage. You do not want the moisture landing on that UVB Fixture. That is dangerous.

Try using two pieces of egg carton hooked together. Put a chunk of fruit in each side of the egg carton so it is in the little cup portion of it. Then you will pour your fruit flies on to the fruit pieces. Then you will hook the egg carton in on a branch or into her plants. This will keep all of the bugs in one area and make it easier for her to eat.

So you want the T5HO UVB with a 5.0 bulb to be 4 inches above her little nano cage.

The concern here is if you are fogging or misting into the big cage. You do not want the moisture landing on that UVB Fixture. That is dangerous.

Try using two pieces of egg carton hooked together. Put a chunk of fruit in each side of the egg carton so it is in the little cup portion of it. Then you will pour your fruit flies on to the fruit pieces. Then you will hook the egg carton in on a branch or into her plants. This will keep all of the bugs in one area and make it easier for her to eat.
I have followed your advice. I made adjustments yesterday evening. Her uvb is now 4 inches above her nano. I have moved her nano out of the larger enclosure. Today we had poop. A little worried but immediately went to Chameleon Academy and read. My husbandary seems on point with what is said. Adding in a dripper in the afternoons just to support hydration.

I have followed your advice. I made adjustments yesterday evening. Her uvb is now 4 inches above her nano. I have moved her nano out of the larger enclosure. Today we had poop. A little worried but immediately went to Chameleon Academy and read. My husbandary seems on point with what is said. Adding in a dripper in the afternoons just to support hydration.
Perfect... Now just keep those fruit flies available to the baby. :) It will be stressful for you until baby is a bit older. The first 3 months can be particularity difficult and stressful with a hatchling.

Back
Top Bottom