Just cleaned peaches tank for the first time and she didn’t like it one bit.

Riley0422

so I just got peaches a week ago she’s about 4 to 5 months old and I think I’ve got everything figured out I do still want everyone’s opinions on my cage, I’ll be upgrading her to a 2 by 2 by 4 in the coming months so everything here isn’t final but it will be her home for a while and I just want her to be as comfortable as possible, since cleaning her tank I was setting up a little dropper and fell nearly to the bottoms of the tank! But she gabbed on and didn’t hit anything too hard but definitely took a fall! I put in a larger Swiss cheese monstera plant I’m hoping the leaves aren’t too slick and large for them to be viable but I’ve heard in many threads that it’s okay, anyways just let me know what we think of her tank set up I don’t want to be changing it up too much on her but let me know, my second point I wanted to get to was that she had such vibrant stress dots got real dark she hates the thought of me picking her up she stayed in the cage for the entire duration of the cage cleaning making it a much more lengthy and grueling process but I thing she became comfortable with me throughout, I’ve seen @bedam blog about building trust but I have very little time is there any short easy daily exercises I can do with her maybe? I also got a small tray, pvc, and drilled holes in the base of the enclosure so the water can flow out of the bottom of the cage as well as cloth backing so I do t damage my walls while misting. Any thoughts ideas tips or questions are welcomed, ANYTHING HELPS!!!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Ad far as trust building goes, I'm working on this one... again.... my guy had a minor respiratory infection and after having to give sub-q antibiotics, he's less than trusting with me. I am trying to get him to associate my hands with food. Putting a treat bug on the back of my hand and holding really still. Limiting eye contact and just waiting for him to come to me. It's a slooooow process but I have the distinct disadvantage of trying to rebuild trust that was broken.

I hate raining on anyone’s parade, but I think the monstera is the wrong type for a chameleon enclosure. There are several different types of them and yours looks like the kind that is for outside gardens. There is a smaller variety called monstera adansonii which is the one you want. It took me a little while to figure this out. It took me even longer for my local Lowe’s and Home Depot to actually have the smaller ones. The big one is awesome to collect water for her to drink and provide shade and hiding spots, but she can only pretty much grip the edges. When she gets her upgrade, it would maybe be nice to have over her lay bin to provide some good privacy and prevent it from getting pooped in. lol I love the plant behind the monstera! I’ve been looking for one like that for use as a houseplant for a long time. It’s gorgeous! Anyhow, you’re getting there and making progress. :) It’s a journey and you’re on the right path.

Ad far as trust building goes, I'm working on this one... again.... my guy had a minor respiratory infection and after having to give sub-q antibiotics, he's less than trusting with me. I am trying to get him to associate my hands with food. Putting a treat bug on the back of my hand and holding really still. Limiting eye contact and just waiting for him to come to me. It's a slooooow process but I have the distinct disadvantage of trying to rebuild trust that was broken.
Just be patient. That’s the biggest thing with rebuilding trust. Keep us posted on how things go!

I just noticed you have some fake plants in there. I know you probably left them because you want her to have more coverage. I recommend putting them on the outside of the enclosure. This way she still gets the coverage, but it’s safe for her. I’m a terrible gardener, so I have several hanging outside my enclosure to help fill the gaps.

Oh! I forgot to mention. Cup feeding really helped me build trust with my guy. He is sort of a special case and was willing to eat from a shallow dish in my hand from the beginning. Maybe give that a shot if you can’t sit with her for extended periods right now. But don’t be discouraged if it takes a while for her to do it.

I hate raining on anyone’s parade, but I think the monstera is the wrong type for a chameleon enclosure. There are several different types of them and yours looks like the kind that is for outside gardens. There is a smaller variety called monstera adansonii which is the one you want. It took me a little while to figure this out. It took me even longer for my local Lowe’s and Home Depot to actually have the smaller ones. The big one is awesome to collect water for her to drink and provide shade and hiding spots, but she can only pretty much grip the edges. When she gets her upgrade, it would maybe be nice to have over her lay bin to provide some good privacy and prevent it from getting pooped in. lol I love the plant behind the monstera! I’ve been looking for one like that for use as a houseplant for a long time. It’s gorgeous! Anyhow, you’re getting there and making progress. :) It’s a journey and you’re on the right path.
Uhg thank you so much!!! That’s exactly what I was thinking, the leaves are just too big!! I just needed something to fill in the gaps after I removed the fake water dripper, hopefully this plant can be incorporated into her new cage, I build pool cages for a living so I believe I’ll be able to build her something perfect I’ll keep everyone updated!!!

Uhg thank you so much!!! That’s exactly what I was thinking, the leaves are just too big!! I just needed something to fill in the gaps after I removed the fake water dripper, hopefully this plant can be incorporated into her new cage, I build pool cages for a living so I believe I’ll be able to build her something perfect I’ll keep everyone updated!!!
If that’s what you have for now, it’ll work until you can get another. One of my favorites is schefflera. They can be big and bushy with lots of hiding places in their foliage. Another great idea is to place a pothos on the bottom and let it grow upwards. When they grow up, their leaves get larger. It’s a cool phenomenon and perfect for our enclosures.

Back
Top Bottom