Aging a young female Veiled Chameleon

I have a female Veiled Chameleon purchased online 2-1/2 months ago. I don't know her age when she arrived but she has tripled in size. Can you tell by her colors, markings, etc what age she might be in months? Right now, she will eat 10-12 large crickets per day easily and voraciously. :ROFLMAO: I don't want to continue this pace after she reaches full size. How do I tell, without knowing her age, when she reaches adulthood?
cham.jpg

Oh my. I guess egg binding won't be a problem then. :LOL:

I'll check the hind feet and post more pics this evening. Thanks for the replies.
This is what tarsal spurs look like on the back feet of a male. If yours has this then you for sure have a boy. lol

But based on your baby's colors and patterns alone I am about 99.999% sure you have a male.

Attachments

• Tarsal spur1.jpg
    Tarsal spur1.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 10
  • tarsal Spur2.jpg
    tarsal Spur2.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 14
Reduce your insect size... I would not feed one this young anything but medium crickets. easily 2 dozen a day. Around 9-10 months old you will notice a curb down on eating. That is when you can reduce how many feeders you offer a day down to say 10-12. Then by the time they are 12 months old they need to be on an every other day feeding schedule of 3-5 feeders. Temps for basking would be 80-85 max for him.

Take a pic of baby on your hand so I can get a better idea of total size seeing the entire cham and your hand. Based on casque height, spur size, and pattern I am thinking right about 5ish months old.

Reduce your insect size... I would not feed one this young anything but medium crickets. easily 2 dozen a day. Around 9-10 months old you will notice a curb down on eating. That is when you can reduce how many feeders you offer a day down to say 10-12. Then by the time they are 12 months old they need to be on an every other day feeding schedule of 3-5 feeders. Temps for basking would be 80-85 max for him.

Take a pic of baby on your hand so I can get a better idea of total size seeing the entire cham and your hand. Based on casque height, spur size, and pattern I am thinking right about 5ish months old.
I’m adding a shot from yesterday but I think it is being added to the post and not this reply. I hope you can get to it.

Attachments

• 11E25C6B-E6B4-4C33-8D6A-46A734B79012.jpeg
    11E25C6B-E6B4-4C33-8D6A-46A734B79012.jpeg
    167.3 KB · Views: 11

Will do and thank you!!! Everyone has been very helpful! After the initial
Shock, we’re very pleased. “She” won’t have egg binding trouble. No need to put a sand box in the bottom of the cage. And by mistake I got a male for the price of a female. Looking forward to great colors. But I miss my “girl” already.

May I ask what "B" names are? After polling the grandchildren, we have settled on "Xerxes." He was the king when Esther was queen.
I love that!

The B names are kind of an inside joke on here. We have a group of people who all got their panthers from an active breeder on here and if I remember correctly a good chunk of them named their chameleons with B names without knowing the others were either. After they started a thread to keep in touch on how all the siblings were growing they realized and now its just this thing we do 🤣

I love that!

The B names are kind of an inside joke on here. We have a group of people who all got their panthers from an active breeder on here and if I remember correctly a good chunk of them named their chameleons with B names without knowing the others were either. After they started a thread to keep in touch on how all the siblings were growing they realized and now its just this thing we do 🤣
What she said! 🤣

B names are my thing... I spread the joy of B names. :hilarious: However I think you have your name if that is what the grandchildren have chosen. Kinda hard to go against what kids want.
I tried keeping you under wraps and there you went and blew your own cover! 🤣

But I agree, it’s almost impossible to say no to the grandkids!! 🥰

Back
Top Bottom