Extreme aggression when shedding.

makkatfloof

Hi!
I have a 6-7 month old male veiled. Recently during his sheds, he has become EXTREMELY aggressive. Normally his shed doesn’t affect his behavior and he is normally a really outgoing guy, believe it or not. I can’t even open his cage to put food in without him hissing and trying to bite. He has never even hissed or tried to bite until this shed.
I thought at first, maybe, it was because his humidity needed to be higher for his skin. But I’ve kept it at a solid 85-90% humidity now and he keeps being aggressive. When it comes to his colors, his colors have been fine.
He has had an ongoing eye infection for a few months. It’s been slowly getting better. Even with this infection and his previous shed, he was not this aggressive.
Any ideas???
I have his full info on a previous post I made (idk how to attatch it)

Ok I have to ask this.....How is your chameleon drinking? :(
He drinks from the misting. He hated the drippers for some reason. He kinda just opens his mouth at the sprayer and gets his water. I usually take him out daily too and give him water through a syringe (not forced, I just drip it into his mouth and he drinks). The vet suggested that since he wasn’t drinking from a dripper. He gets enough water though. No white lines in his mouth or other signs of dehydration.
He also gets fed A LOT of hornworms to keep up with hydration.
He also drinks the drips from the water off the leaves and cage.
Why do you ask?

Sounds like you need to buy a Mist King. I think it should be a piece of equipment EVERY chameleon owner should have IMO. They use misting sessions for more than drinking such as cleaning their eyes.
I’m saving up for one! The only reason I didn’t get one yet is because he had such a small cage when he was a baby and he’s still very small for his age. He’s in a medium reptibreeze now, which I still feel is too big for him, but at least it gives him something to grow into!
But yes, I am getting one. Would make the whole manual misting thing SOOOO much easier.

Our mistking and hand spraying is all Gus drinks now--he is shedding ATM and went from a sweet boy who nearly jumps on my hand the second I open the door to turning sideways to get away if I open the door just for feeding -_-. This too shall pass.

Set up a plant that funnels the water drips under your mistking, it stimulates them with tons of droplets if there's lots of leaves and our guy usually is over to drink within a min, where the lil dripper needed to run a solid 10-15 mins before he acted intrrinter at all.

Our mistking and hand spraying is all Gus drinks now--he is shedding ATM and went from a sweet boy who nearly jumps on my hand the second I open the door to turning sideways to get away if I open the door just for feeding -_-. This too shall pass.

Set up a plant that funnels the water drips under your mistking, it stimulates them with tons of droplets if there's lots of leaves and our guy usually is over to drink within a min, where the lil dripper needed to run a solid 10-15 mins before he acted intrrinter at all.
I am getting my mister sometime this week. In the mean time, I have had a good plant that catches the droplets. He has just got over the shed and is doing A LOT better. I gave him a few showers in the shower in the way people describe to do them and i had never seen an animal more happy! Put him on his little wood latter and sat there while the droplets hit him. He was just in heaven!

I am getting my mister sometime this week. In the mean time, I have had a good plant that catches the droplets. He has just got over the shed and is doing A LOT better. I gave him a few showers in the shower in the way people describe to do them and i had never seen an animal more happy! Put him on his little wood latter and sat there while the droplets hit him. He was just in heaven!
Also I would suggest a pressurized hand mister. With my first chameleon I didn't have one, but with my second, I got one and it makes hand mist sessions so much easier, but I also have a MistKing.

Also I would suggest a pressurized hand mister. With my first chameleon I didn't have one, but with my second, I got one and it makes hand mist sessions so much easier, but I also have a MistKing.
I would almost rather do that than get a mistking.
Personally, I just like doing my own misting. I feel like I get it everywhere a lot more thoroughly and I have the time on my hands to do it on a regular time and enough so that he doesn’t get dehydrated or show signs of it.
I also just now started to get him to drink from a dripper, which he was never doing before and was my main reason to get a mistking.
But, I can spray regularly and enough to keep the humidity almost perfect.
I definitely wanna get a mistking when he’s older and gets put into a bigger cage though.

Back
Top Bottom