Just shedding??

Spikemomma

Established Member
I just want to make sure my baby Spike is just upset cause he is shedding and nothing more. The back of his head annd his face and casque is currently shedding so I am thinking
it is making him uncomfortable but I just want to check that nothing looks wrong. He has been shedding for a little over a week, but he is 4 years old so I know it can take longer. He has just been sitting atop his basking branch and doesn’t move too much, besides turning around and going back and forth. There’s other branches for him I just am worried. he ate yesterday and has been eating okay. Temp and humidity levels are good I’m pretty sure !!

Attachments

• IMG_4897.jpeg
    IMG_4897.jpeg
    224.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4918.jpeg
    IMG_4918.jpeg
    258.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4920.jpeg
    IMG_4920.jpeg
    220.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4919.jpeg
    IMG_4919.jpeg
    288 KB · Views: 16
Everything looks normal to me. They tend to be a bit pissy when they are shedding. Some can become more aggressive than normal as well.

How are you checking your basking temps? What wattage basking bulb are you using?

I may be wrong but were you the one that ended up with the incorrect UVB type that needed to be replaced?

thank you for the reply! I use an infrared thermometer gun to check the temps around his vivarium. And it is a 50 w heating bulb. The uvb is an Arcadia t5 7%, which I know should be a 5 or 6 ideally but I did a conference call with Neptune the Chameleon a few weeks ago and she said the 7% should be just fine till I can get a new one, which I am looking into soon along with a plant led bar so I think I will upgrade to the lumenize when I get my next uvb bulb.

I just want to make sure my baby Spike is just upset cause he is shedding and nothing more. The back of his head annd his face and casque is currently shedding so I am thinking
it is making him uncomfortable but I just want to check that nothing looks wrong. He has been shedding for a little over a week, but he is 4 years old so I know it can take longer. He has just been sitting atop his basking branch and doesn’t move too much, besides turning around and going back and forth. There’s other branches for him I just am worried. he ate yesterday and has been eating okay. Temp and humidity levels are good I’m pretty sure !!
When my Spike (just under 10 mos old male panther) sheds, he is at times less active while the process is taking shape. Once the shed fully blows, he goes crazy, climbing everywhere, really fast, trying to shake it all off.

He even kinda stops eating a little here or there too (but that doesn't last lol). He looks good and its just a normal shed as far as I can tell but we have different types of chameleons.

thank you for the reply! I use an infrared thermometer gun to check the temps around his vivarium. And it is a 50 w heating bulb. The uvb is an Arcadia t5 7%, which I know should be a 5 or 6 ideally but I did a conference call with Neptune the Chameleon a few weeks ago and she said the 7% should be just fine till I can get a new one, which I am looking into soon along with a plant led bar so I think I will upgrade to the lumenize when I get my next uvb bulb.
Ok I will reach out to her to let her know they do not work for a temp situation. The 7% actually will not work and the fixture can not be used with the 6%. You have to replace this asap. You can read more here. https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...ot-the-same-as-the-22-5-6-ho-fixtures.191400/

Put in a temp probe at the basking branch right below that heat fixture. You want to make sure the temps are accurate. The temp guns really are iffy for basking temps. They tend to pull the surface temp of whatever you are scanning.

Ok I will reach out to her to let her know they do not work for a temp situation. The 7% actually will not work and the fixture can not be used with the 6%. You have to replace this asap. You can read more here. https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...ot-the-same-as-the-22-5-6-ho-fixtures.191400/

Put in a temp probe at the basking branch right below that heat fixture. You want to make sure the temps are accurate. The temp guns really are iffy for basking temps. They tend to pull the surface temp of whatever you are scanning.
I like to use the Flukers automatic dimmer lamp that controls temp, and I also use a completely separate probe that reads temp/humidity in the same exact spot, without touching each other, and I have a temp gun..... which I do not use at all because it always seems to be inaccurate and unreliable.

Note these shade dweller fixture and bulbs threw most of us at first. Just now understanding them better and the details about them. With them being so available in Petsmart a lot of people are buying them for chameleons.

IMG_4951.png

Would this be okay?

Back
Top Bottom