Exo Terra Monsoon vs Misty King

Status
Not open for further replies.
pumps-500.jpg

Did anyone else hear the jingle, "Hefty, Hefty, Hefty. Wimpy, wimpy, wimpy" when they saw this pic? :D

From what I keep hearing the main appeal of the monsoon is the fact that it's made to look attractive and it is presented in a very nice package.

for me it's that fill and and forget it idea. If you sold me a pre-drilled home-depot bucket and a lid where I could rest the mistking on it I'd be happy. I'm just not a do it yourself'er or have alot of free time on the weekend to figure it out.

Gaze at my panther cham yes, but figure out where the best spot for the hole is or did I put the bulkhead in the right way, no, not me.

Lol... good one! In my experience piston type pumps, like the one in the monsoon, get really hot really quick! Hence the two minute duty cycle. If it ran longer it would melt the plastic housing. Yikes! Safety first! lol

You dont really need to put a hole in your bucket... put the pump on the floor and run the feeder hose up and into the bucket, if the end is submerged in the water it will work just fine. If you buy your bucket @ home depot they will drill the hole for you, just bring the bulkhead with you so they can drill the right size. Cheers!

Really? Home depot will drill a hole for you ??? I didn't know that. Tell them 9/16 inch from the bottom. Then force the bulkhead through the hole, tighten the nut and you're done.

Yea... they will also cut lumber to length. Indoor garden/hydoponic shops all have great options for your rez as well, and they will drill holes and install drains or whatever too. Cheers!

Your assuming I know what a hole and a bucket are thou. :)

I've seen your rep show video on utube, you should do a how-to for the 1 cham ownership crowd.

One of my things is what happens if the power goes out? Did I just create a siphon from the reservoir to my floor?

Well… No I don't think so. The pump is sealed to maintain pressure. I'm pretty sure they don't leak. The pumps come with a mounting bracket so you could screw it to the side of your stand or even set it on the table beside your cage. Mine has no problem drawing water up from the rez and pumping it through about 50 or 60 feet of hose to all my cages. No leaks or other plumbing issues. Just be sure to have adequate drainage under your cage to catch the water... you will need that no matter what mist system you end up choosing. Another cool feature of the Mistking is their seconds timer, it has battery backup to keep your settings stored… You don't loose them if the power fails, and it's misting as usual, on time when it turns back on. Cheers!

Man, I should get a job selling this stuff! lol

One of my things is what happens if the power goes out? Did I just create a siphon from the reservoir to my floor?

Only if the reservoir is higher than your misting nozzle which is going to be tough if the nozzle is placed at the top of the cham enclosure. Even if that were the case, the pump is in the way and not much water is going to run through the nozzle without being pumped.

Are there any folks on the forum near you that could help you install the MistKing for your peace of mind?

Why use a remote control when you can fully automate your mistings with the robust timer that the Mist King has? You can do 8 settings at whatever time you want and even specific days and you can set different durations. The remote is more of a novelty when you have a fully autmoated system. Couple that with the ability to use any type of resevoir you want, you can automate your mistings for weeks or even indefinitely if you tap into a water source.

++1

ive thought about using a float system in the resivoir(like how a bird bath refills outdoors)..that would be nice..

++1

ive thought about using a float system in the resivoir(like how a bird bath refills outdoors)..that would be nice..

dejavu! what about an auto topup system linked to an RO unit like in the Marine fish tank world? (could be worth ago)

I never knew Home Depot would drill the hole for you. Not really a big deal though, I bought the marked see through bucket from Home Depot, took it home looked at my connections grabbed a drill bit and was done in seconds. Takes longer to fill the bucket than it did to drill. Works fantastic always reliable. I did alot of looking at items like habba mist, monsoon and some other one, and came to the conclusion that a real pump for a few bucks more was alot more reliable

Just for the RECORD a dripping nozzle is NOT a bad thing LOLOLOL....we are trying to kept humidity and our animals drinking i dont see how a dripping nozzle is a bad thing......if you DO NOT have a drain then maybe yes..but since i do have a drain i cant see how a dripping nozzle is bad...it might entice the cham even more i feel... :D

Just for the RECORD a dripping nozzle is NOT a bad thing LOLOLOL....we are trying to kept humidity and our animals drinking i dont see how a dripping nozzle is a bad thing......if you DO NOT have a drain then maybe yes..but since i do have a drain i cant see how a dripping nozzle is bad...it might entice the cham even more i feel... :D

i dont know if its just me? but i think its down to control and perfection! (its just a human condition) where you just was the best, and to control the best!!!! without really understanding why! ( no offence to anyone, but its just the Subconscious mind speaking)

It was a long post on another thread so I figured I'd just copy & paste it here:eek:

I'll post my set up later.

DevIouS said:
I have both systems.
The Monsoon is a pretty decent mister, but the Mistking by far beats it performance wise. I started the hobby with a Habba mister. Now THAT is a horrible mister.
The Monsoon is a great "All in one unit" & looks great under my open bottom stand. The after drip is not bad at all & only last for a few seconds.
However, what the Mistking can do with 1 nozzle, the Monsoon needs 2.
The Monsoon's mist is much more harder (bigger drops). The Mistking's mist is fine & has a wider spread. My Panther does not like to be sprayed & would retreat once the Monsoon went on. The shower from the Mistking doesn't seem to bother him at all.
Although the Monsoon is not annoyingly loud, the Mistking is much quieter despite the vibration from the hoses. Zip-Ties solved that problem.
The timer on the MistKing is more precise and the program options are unlimited, where as with the Monsoon I used another external timer to cut off over night mistings.
Despite what Exo-Terra states, there are no parts available or extra nozzles that can be purchased. There is no way it can handle as many nozzles as they claim as well. The pump is not powerful enough. Exo-Terra states the container holds 1 gallon but it actually holds around 2 gallons.
Mounting the nozzles from the Monsoon were a bit of a pain due to the fact the sides of the nozzles are for suction cups made for terrariums. There are no mounting points for cages to keep the nozzles secure. I used a wire wrapped around the stem to mount them to the sides of the cage....but they still remained a bit flimsy compared to the mounting options from Mistking.

There are no comparisons between both nozzles. Mistking has that hands down.

It does depend on one's the set up to determine which would be a better unit, but for me & my 48" open air cage.....the Mistking is my choice.
For smaller cages & terrariums the Monsoon would be great.

I paid $100 for the Monsoon @ a show & the Mistking "Starter Package" is the same price.
For performance & quality, I go with Mistking.
Looks & ease of use goes to the Monsoon.
I don't see any purpose of having a remote.

Originally Posted by DevIouS
I have both systems.
The Monsoon is a pretty decent mister, but the Mistking by far beats it performance wise. I started the hobby with a Habba mister. Now THAT is a horrible mister.
The Monsoon is a great "All in one unit" & looks great under my open bottom stand. The after drip is not bad at all & only last for a few seconds.
However, what the Mistking can do with 1 nozzle, the Monsoon needs 2.
The Monsoon's mist is much more harder (bigger drops). The Mistking's mist is fine & has a wider spread. My Panther does not like to be sprayed & would retreat once the Monsoon went on. The shower from the Mistking doesn't seem to bother him at all.
Although the Monsoon is not annoyingly loud, the Mistking is much quieter despite the vibration from the hoses. Zip-Ties solved that problem.
The timer on the MistKing is more precise and the program options are unlimited, where as with the Monsoon I used another external timer to cut off over night mistings.
Despite what Exo-Terra states, there are no parts available or extra nozzles that can be purchased. There is no way it can handle as many nozzles as they claim as well. The pump is not powerful enough. Exo-Terra states the container holds 1 gallon but it actually holds around 2 gallons.
Mounting the nozzles from the Monsoon were a bit of a pain due to the fact the sides of the nozzles are for suction cups made for terrariums. There are no mounting points for cages to keep the nozzles secure. I used a wire wrapped around the stem to mount them to the sides of the cage....but they still remained a bit flimsy compared to the mounting options from Mistking.

There are no comparisons between both nozzles. Mistking has that hands down.

It does depend on one's the set up to determine which would be a better unit, but for me & my 48" open air cage.....the Mistking is my choice.
For smaller cages & terrariums the Monsoon would be great.

I paid $100 for the Monsoon @ a show & the Mistking "Starter Package" is the same price.
For performance & quality, I go with Mistking.
Looks & ease of use goes to the Monsoon.
I don't see any purpose of having a remote.

this helps me out alot thanks! Maybe I wait another month until he's rdy for his big boy cage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom