Eating dirt.

Ares05

Chameleon Enthusiast
I just caught Amaro shooting at some dirt. I covered it up with some rocks just now. Its got me curious as to why he is doing this. Ive read they do it because they feel they needs for nutrients, or because they are trying to clear their own parasites. I also looked through some fresh poop, and there is quite a bit of dirt. I did this about a week or two ago, and their was dirt in those dropping aswell. It's got me very worried that perhaps he's got coccidia again? I guess Its possible ( have 2 untested animals in the room.. one is likely to carry it. ).. though I have been very, very careful. I also think its worth mentioning I dont give D3.

Im about to leave for a 5-6 day trip. Im hoping nothing Is wrong!

Lack of vitamins is what I have always heard.

My dog, use to destroy any headphones she could get. She would eat the copper wire, she is spoiled, and wont eat many dog foods, the one she would/did, didn't contain copper. My aunt (who is a Vet Tech, specializes in Dogs) said it was because Dogs want some copper, in their diet, and she wasn't getting it, she knew it, and she found it.

How she had the slightest clue there was copper in the headphones, I still dont know. However she did, and she would chuck the scraps and just chew on the copper wire. Once we got her a to eat a different dog food, that had copper that my aunt suggested, she stopped doing it (the new dog food is cheaper, so also a win!). The headphones in the house been safe ever since.

Point is, that experience leads me to believe there is likely truth in the mineral thing. So I have always believed it.

Last edited:
So should I worry? And what should I do to curb his need to eat the dirt? I do have rocks over the dirt, but he found a few little spaces where dirt is exposed. I covered them.

So should I worry? And what should I do to curb his need to eat the dirt? I do have rocks over the dirt, but he found a few little spaces where dirt is exposed. I covered them.

IMO, should be fine anyway. Every study I have read on the matter, says that its normal. Chams in the wild will eat dirt, and a Healthy chameleon should have no issues passing it.

As to what to do, you could cover it. As you have, I would be concerned why he is doing it, what he is trying to gain from it. Which I cannot tell you, maybe a vet could, or a member if you shared your dusting habits and products?

I cant take him to the vet until a day or two after the trip, provided they aren't fully booked (which they are alot of the time)

I dust with plain calcium each day, and a multivitamin twice a month. The calcium is Repticalcium (zoomed) without d3, and my multivitamin is reptivite (zoomed). I dont use D3 ( I have uvi levels of 2.5-3)

I cant take him to the vet until a day or two after the trip, provided they aren't fully booked (which they are alot of the time)

I dust with plain calcium each day, and a multivitamin twice a month. I dont use D3 ( I have uvi levels of 2.5-3)

Multivitamin is what though?

Sorry just edited my post, Reptivite.

It may also not be a deficiency, so to speak, as much as just looking to add more, for whatever reason. Or add roughage. We are so "Impaction Scared" that we veer quite far from Wild diet, which includes lots of beetles, that we dont feed due to fear of Impaction.

I think impaction fear is way overblown, and overstated.

Good thread on the subject.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/eating-dirt.26813/

Its like they wait until right before you are going off somewhere to worry you.

Should I worry about parasites, or is that an unlikely reason for him to be eating dirt?

Its like they wait until right before you are going off somewhere to worry you.

Should I worry about parasites, or is that an unlikely reason for him to be eating dirt?

IDK, if he is passing the dirt, than he is likely fine. That means he is in good health? I wouldn't worry till you get back. Even if he does have a small parasite load, it wont kill him. A stressed sick chameleon, parasites will kill. A healthy one, that is not stressed can deal with it for a week :p.

There are a couple of concerns with eating dirt/soil/substrates that I can think of off hand...impaction is one thing...we never know for sure until it happens which soils/dirty/substrates will cause it and by then it's too late to solve easily. Also, if it's potting soil a plant is planted in there could be fertilizer in the soil.

As for why they eat it, there is no definite answer...just theories....ideas.

IMHO...prevention is easier than fixing the possible issues caused if they do eat it.

He is healthy as far as I can tell. I just think he's a little small compared to others ive seen, probably because he had medium-high counts of coccidia for a while when he was young, and wasn't eating much.

The dirt ive got is pretty fine ( I removed any big chucks of bark).. no fertilizers, its organic topsoil.

There actually was a cricket walking around on the rocks, but he ignored it and went for the dirt.

Back
Top Bottom