Chameleon eating dirt ?

nikkilynn.marie

Hey guys, 1 out of 3 of my chams started eating dirt. I read its because hes missing something in his diet? But my other two chams dont eat dirt and they are on the same food/ supplements. Just scared of impaction, wondering what i can do to stop him. And also what hes missing and needs to help lil buddy out
Hes about 9 months old. Nosy mitsio names Jupiter
Feeding-
Crickets
Super worms
Wax worms
Bsfl
Horn worms
Silk worms
Solider flies if and when they hatch. Let them fly around the cage he loves to hunt them! Not part of or counted in his feeding amount
He gets about
6 crickets, 2 super, 1 wax, 6 bsfl, 1 horn, 1 silk
He has a very healthy appetite, extremely food motivated never have an issue with feeding.
But yesterday i caught him eating a good amount of dirt out of a plant. And then again today too ! Just goes over and takes a massive bite out if it ?
Dusted lightly. Not a ghost and not where you cant see it will post a pic of what they look like after i dust.
Repti calcium no D3 6 days a week
Every sunday i alternate between repti calcium with D3 and reptivite vitamins no D3
Feeders are gut loaded with (carrot, sweet potato, spring mix greens)
Can see from his casque hes not too fat and hes not underfed so why is he eating dirt? Should i up or down a supplement ?
Hes eatin from my opinion a large amount of dirt for his size and in such a short time.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 90
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 80
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    397.7 KB · Views: 85
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 77
  • 2CACD2FB-A90D-4B98-B5F0-0994D0C2AFCA.jpeg
    2CACD2FB-A90D-4B98-B5F0-0994D0C2AFCA.jpeg
    157.6 KB · Views: 87
What many do is cover the soil with stones too large to be eaten. I’ve no idea why he’d be eating dirt and hopefully he’ll pass it without problem.

Watch out for superworms. Sometimes they are used for treats.
Yes! Thank you, ive read so much controversy about supers being a staple but some say a treat. I believe a little bit of everything is a healthy diet, crickets and bsfl are my main staple! Thank you for the comment!
What many do is cover the soil with stones too large to be eaten. I’ve no idea why he’d be eating dirt and hopefully he’ll pass it without problem.
What a simple solution to use large stones, i cant believe that didnt cross my mind at all! Thank you!
That will for sure stop him thank you just need to figure out why now 🤔

Back
Top Bottom