Another Day sleeping post, he seemed really healthy 3 days ago!

Hey there. This is what I see....

Way too hot ambient and basking. Basking should be 80-85 and ambient should be low 70's. Room air conditioner is often needed in summers to keep temps where they should be.

Cricket crack is higher in protein at 16%. Which means this is going to cause more uric acid in roaches. This in turn will be hard for your chameleon to process out of his body especially if you are feeding roaches that are larger and have been on this diet for a while. Bug burger is lower and within limits for roaches at 13%.

Repashy LOD is used by kammerflage. But the issue is they used this with T8 lighting not T5HO. T8 has a lower uvi output then our T5HO do. We have seen where this causes an extreme issue for some chams being fed LOD at every feeding. And if you are heavy handed with the supplement it will be even more that he is storing in his tissues of A and D3. This can cause other issues as well as D3 toxicity.

Hopefully you have a dripper because the length of your mistings are extremely short to provide drinking opportunities. Most require 2 minutes just to trigger a drinking response.

I would get the room cooled down that he is in. Add a dripper to drip during the day if you do not have one. Remove the cricket crack from the dubia diet. And only use the Repashy LOD 2 times a month say the 1st and the 15th. Get a plain calcium without D3 for all other feedings. YOu want to go really lightly on your supplement coating. It should not be heavy at all just a dusting. I would get a fecal done just to rule out parasite issues.
Thanks for all this!

I'm going to turn off the basking lamp for a few days (I have a sansi LED grow light so it does produce some heat as well.

Just need to get him eating and active again.

I'll up the 2nd misting to see if I can't get more hydration

Have you tried to force water/fed him? Dehydration is your biggest enermy right now. Do you have a tiny syringe w no needle (of course ) you must get water in him ASAP, make the misting session at least 2 min. what vet are u seeing? I hope it's dr. Greek. He's in yorba linda, n miracle worker. I dunno where your located, but if anywhere near corona, I have new syringes if you dont have any.

Also take him outside, the natural sun is the best healer. Don't leave him unattended. And make sure he has water n shady spot.

Have you tried to force water/fed him? Dehydration is your biggest enermy right now. Do you have a tiny syringe w no needle (of course ) you must get water in him ASAP, make the misting session at least 2 min. what vet are u seeing? I hope it's dr. Greek. He's in yorba linda, n miracle worker. I dunno where your located, but if anywhere near corona, I have new syringes if you dont have any.

Im Located about an hour north of corona without traffic.

vet appointment Monday but not sure he'll last that long.

I ran the mister for 5min on you're recommendation and no response from him.

He was moved however from where I left him (got called into work) I was sure he would be gone by the time I got back so it was a nice distraction from staring at him all day.

I have somed roppers and 5ml syringes so I can give him water. I will try that later this afternoon once the enclosure dries out in case he gets the urge to roam a bit.

Thanks everyone! I'll update again tomorrow morning with any news (good or bad)

Does he seem to have a lot of mucus in his mouth when he opens it?
OK gave some water off advise of
Someone else. Got his mouth open. Lots of clear mucus. Is that an RI?

No other symptoms of that; looking up, labored breathing, popping/crackling.

Im Located about an hour north of corona without traffic.

vet appointment Monday but not sure he'll last that long.

I ran the mister for 5min on you're recommendation and no response from him.

He was moved however from where I left him (got called into work) I was sure he would be gone by the time I got back so it was a nice distraction from staring at him all day.

I have somed roppers and 5ml syringes so I can give him water. I will try that later this afternoon once the enclosure dries out in case he gets the urge to roam a bit.

Thanks everyone! I'll update again tomorrow morning with any news (good or bad)
If you call Dr. Greek n tell them it's an emergency, they are extremely understanding and will squeeze you in if at all possible same day. What I do if I must. I make bug juice, which is taking a few gutloaded feeders n smashing them up real good, mix in pedialite non flavored, and stuck it up in syringe. Pull down on skin under his mouth, and once he opens mouth stick syringe into mouth and as far back as possible, DO NOT SHOOT ANYTHING IN THE FRONT, that's directly into lungs. He may not like it, but you can save his life, but you have to get food n water in him. Do this 2-3 times a day depending on how much you get in him. You can also buy somevemergency carnivore food online, but bug juice is better I think. Good luck w him. Let me know if I csn help further.

Found another vet, put in a request through their website but will call in the morning to try to squeeze in.

However, in the mean time;

Here is a video of me trying to get his mouth open. Mucus is hard to see amd this time, of course, was in the corners
Of his mouth.

When I it earlier with the water it was all over.

I did not dispense anything in this video, it's just water, and when I did it was 1 drop at a time.

Does not look like mouth rot

Also please ignore the 1yo in thr background

Last edited:
Ugg mucus could mean RI. Are you seeing any other symptoms of an RI? Holding the head up gaping? I would try to get him into the best reptile vet near you. I have heard great things about Dr. Greek.

No other symptoms; mucus is clear and sticky however.

No bubbles, no head raise, no labored breathing.

Good news is he is still alive, super weak, but his eyes are clear and responsive when he opens them.

I took him outside today in the sun for 15min on my hand, he moved a bit and repositioned. His color is more normal now in the cage but still just sitting there.

Trying to get into a vet today, will call if I don't hear anything from my online appointment request in the next 15minutes since I'm sure they have booked morning appointments and such.

Tried to give him more water today but he fought me hard on that

OK vet is able to see my tomorrow 2pm.

I'll do my best to keep him going until then but im not optimisticat this point. I'm hoping we can get a determination about URI or Parasites tomorrow.

Either way it will be a hail marry at that point but fingers crossed because he is just so weak.

Last edited:
Well guys and gals; thanks for all you're help. He didn't make it.

Went to check on him and he had passed.

Hopefully I'll get the courage to get another one at some point since I have so much invested into his setup.

It happened so fast too, that's what I think bothers me the most is that I felt I was doing everything right

Ohhh nooo. I'm so sorry to hear that 😢🥺. I know how awful it is, seeing them deteriorate and pass. Now you sure hes gone. They are really good at playing dead. He didn't look good tho in your video. My guess is parasite. Either way, he's at peace now. You fight for him, and did all you could.

Well guys and gals; thanks for all you're help. He didn't make it.

Went to check on him and he had passed.

Hopefully I'll get the courage to get another one at some point since I have so much invested into his setup.

It happened so fast too, that's what I think bothers me the most is that I felt I was doing everything right
So sorry for your loss ❤️

I am so sorry for your loss. Take some time to process before you make a decision on another one. Who knows, maybe down the road you will feel ready for another one.

Back
Top Bottom