Another Day sleeping post, he seemed really healthy 3 days ago!

I’m so very sorry that he didn’t make it. Take your time grieving and when the time is right for another chameleon, you’ll know. ((( ❤️ )))

aw man I'm so sorry to hear you lost him. You did what you could - he was definitely loved and cared for. I hope you can bring yourself to love another little guy when you're ready.

Didn't want to start a whole new thread for this and maybe @MissSkittles or @Beman can point me in the right direction...

I have a Dubai colony going but let's assume for a mintue that it may have been bacterial or parasites from his feeders. (I guess they could have been any of the purchased bsfl or horn worms) but is there a way to clean a colony? Do I just dump the colony and start over?

Is there anything I can gutload the dubias with that would help fight off bacteria or parasites?

Maybe it's just being better and proactively getting fecal checks done (in full transparency I never did this in the 2 years I had him)

This is what Google tells me…
The dubia roach, on the other hand, has never been found to carry any parasites that can cause harm to your reptiles.
https://www.thebugshed.com/5-ways-d...aised in hygienic,cause harm to your reptiles.
The diseases certain species have been known to carry originate not with the roach itself but its environment. In fact, other feeder insects in the herp trade – not Dubia roaches – have been singled out as potential disease carriers.
https://dubiaroachdepot.com/guidanc...pecies have,out as potential disease carriers.

So while dubia do not carry parasites like coccidia. I have read mixed info on them carrying pinworms. If your not buying from a clean source you have a higher risk. Buying feeders from pet stores is a high risk. Not only do some toss uneaten feeders back into the bin which exposes the bin to anything the reptile may have had because if the insect eats contaminated fecal or runs through it. If they run through it and then clean themselves the oocysts can then start their cycle in them.

I have had an issue if pinworms in Beman. I know for a fact that it was not from crickets. Dubia were my main staple and I stopped feeding crickets due to the higher risk they can carry. I ran out of dubia and had to buy from my local pet store... Pretty sure this is where he got pinworms from as I only bought from a reputable company prior.

So I guess it comes down to where did you get your starters for your colony. I wish you had been able to get a fecal sample tested to know if that was the issue and what it was.

So while dubia do not carry parasites like coccidia. I have read mixed info on them carrying pinworms. If your not buying from a clean source you have a higher risk. Buying feeders from pet stores is a high risk. Not only do some toss uneaten feeders back into the bin which exposes the bin to anything the reptile may have had because if the insect eats contaminated fecal or runs through it. If they run through it and then clean themselves the oocysts can then start their cycle in them.

I have had an issue if pinworms in Beman. I know for a fact that it was not from crickets. Dubia were my main staple and I stopped feeding crickets due to the higher risk they can carry. I ran out of dubia and had to buy from my local pet store... Pretty sure this is where he got pinworms from as I only bought from a reputable company prior.

So I guess it comes down to where did you get your starters for your colony. I wish you had been able to get a fecal sample tested to know if that was the issue and what it was.
So I typically buy from Dubiaroaches.com but definitely had my local pet store (that gets them from a distributor but they are already counted out and packaged so not like a cricket bin with 1000's in there.)
I agree, I wish I could have gotten a fecal... it was on my list and even time I would think about it to get a sample I would have to wait, and then I'd end up forgetting about it.

I went back and looked at pictures I had of him while he was "healthy" and he never was fat...

1st picture is Oct 2021 (Hatched may 2021)
2nd on the feeder is Feb 2022
3rd amd 4th are August 2022
5th, 6th, 7th, 8th are January 2023 (this was a partial shed, posted about it and concensus was its age relayed
Last one is mid February and the last picture I had before I posted him in the thread.

Attachments

• 20211007_111215.jpg
    20211007_111215.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot_20230713_091829_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230713_091829_Gallery.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 20230130_143900.jpg
    20230130_143900.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 20230130_144128.jpg
    20230130_144128.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 20230124_163538.jpg
    20230124_163538.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 20230124_163410.jpg
    20230124_163410.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 20220818_090038.jpg
    20220818_090038.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 20220818_095505.jpg
    20220818_095505.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 20220223_124416.jpg
    20220223_124416.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 39
So I typically buy from Dubiaroaches.com but definitely had my local pet store (that gets them from a distributor but they are already counted out and packaged so not like a cricket bin with 1000's in there.)
I agree, I wish I could have gotten a fecal... it was on my list and even time I would think about it to get a sample I would have to wait, and then I'd end up forgetting about it.

I went back and looked at pictures I had of him while he was "healthy" and he never was fat...

1st picture is Oct 2021 (Hatched may 2021)
2nd on the feeder is Feb 2022
3rd amd 4th are August 2022
5th, 6th, 7th, 8th are January 2023 (this was a partial shed, posted about it and concensus was its age relayed
Last one is mid February and the last picture I had before I posted him in the thread.
He was never fat but he was slim for an adult male. Could have been his genetics but also if there was a parasite load picked up at some point this can effect them gaining weight.

He was never fat but he was slim for an adult male. Could have been his genetics but also if there was a parasite load picked up at some point this can effect them gaining weight.
What's the best way to sterilize his enclosure so when I inevitably get another one I can start him out in a clean environment.

What's the best way to sterilize his enclosure so when I inevitably get another one I can start him out in a clean environment.
Uggg well this is the hard question... Because you do not know what the cause was. If parasites then knowing the kind is how we know what way to clean it.

@JacksJill has great blogs on cage cleaning... I would read through these. They are in order.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...tation-its-sexier-than-you-think-part-1.2362/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/cage-cleaning-•-sanitation-istyt-part-2-weekly-cleaning.2363/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/cage-cleaning-•-sanitation-istyt-part-3-deep-cleaning.2364/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/cage-cleaning-•-sanitation-istyt-part-4-disinfection.2406/

I personally would just start from scratch again with a new cham if possible. If your boy had a really nasty parasite then there is a strong possiblity that you could infect the next one.

Oops I pushed post too soon. I had to deal with a pretty nasty parasite with my panther and just from that experience I wouldn't do anything to risk reinfection or infecting another cham. It was literally the worst experience.

I am so so sorry you lost your little guy. He was beautiful. Keep your plant light going to keep the plants alive until you are ready for another cham. I am glad you are thinking sanitization. Since you dont know what caused this tragedy, you cant rule out cage contamination. Start with the plants. Each one needs to be cleaned carefully. The leaves, stalks, and pots needs to be cleaned. Dishsoap, a couple of drops, mixed with water in a spray bottle and sprayed onto both sides of the leaves and stalks should kill anything on them. Make sure you wash the pot especially the bottom and tray to remove any mildew or fungus. Then what i do is water it in the sink over a two day period to get any soap out of the soil. Then remove the top two inches of soil and toss it and replace top soil with organic soil without pearlite and bark chips. (if you cant find any, then you can strain the new soil with a colander) Then set in a window to get some indirect sun and do the next ones. I see you have some old twisted cool looking bark. As long as its hard with no soft spots wash with soap and water. if soft spots, get rid of it could be fungus or insects in the bark. Once the plants are out, remove thebottom of the cage and clean withbleach and water as wellas under the bottom as well. Chlorahexidine is great for wiping down vines, screen, glass etc. I think during your cleaning process you may come accross things that are questionable as to a contaminant. Dont rush this, you need time. Also you have your hands full with a one year old. Again, i am grieving your loss just know you did all you could do. They are masters at hiding illness and by the time they show signs, they are very ill. You got some great advice on changes to put into play for your next cham or reptile. Thank you for sharing this journey with us.

OK, I think this will hopefully be of help to someone in the future who may stumble across this in a search so I'm going to keep this going as I find out more information.

Here is data from the 2 govee thermometers I have in my cage.

The basking temp probe is one of those small displayless pucks and the "habitat" is in the back left of the enclosure halfway down amd is the larger display style.

I have since turned off themisting and the basking light since he passed HOWEVER this is the data. You can see at 1230 today we turned on the air conditioning in the house and that played a large roll in cooling down the enclosure.

I am going to turn on the misting again for tomorrow and see if I notice any appreciable influence on the temps but I doubt I'll see anything substantive.

I did order a fan that I will be able to control via my kasa smart power strip so I will be able to mount that to the top of the cage and manipulate that during the day as well.

I'm not saying that these temp swings (my local, near Los Angeles has had a temp swing from about 70s to 100s in the last 2 weeks) are a contributing factor since he went through a summer last year just "fine" but maybe he was weakened and this was the final straw for him. Could explain the rapid decline.

He always did spend a lot of time near the top and also climbing the ceiling but i never thought anything of it and searching that question was always met with "they grow out of it". Thinking back I remember Saturday he was all fired up, in full color, all day and I just thought maybe he was trying to attract a mate who would never come.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230714_184408_Govee Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20230714_184408_Govee Home.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot_20230714_184448_Govee Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20230714_184448_Govee Home.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 48
Back
Top Bottom