Bioactive in a hybrid dragon strand.

So if I got This I don’t need the fabric mesh? I think I would prefer it instead
I’m confused by what you mean. To me, the fabric is the landscape fabric. It’s a solid piece of cloth-like material. I take the mesh to be screening. You need to keep the drainage layer seperated from the soil, with the landscape fabric. If you want to have the floor of the soil layer be more uniform/flatter and defined, you can then use either screening or plastic eggcrate just below the landscape fabric.

For the other lazy people out there (like me), here's an easier option. What's the point in adding a root pouch? It's a permeable container. Might as well just toss in substrate and have the cage itself become that permeable container for you. I use leap habitats, but before you say "Yeah, but those were made for bioactive setups in mind," I would like to say that I don't use their plastic liner that is supposed to hold the substrate inside of the cage - making it identical, in design and theory, to a Dragon Strand cage. Without the liner, I'm left with three solid walls and a front screen service door.

I toss in the clay balls (hydroballs, leca, and whatever else they are called) for the drainage layer. Toss in a mesh window screen cut to size as a separator between the substrate and the drainage layer, then toss in the substrate on top and leaf litter. I use an ABG mix as the substrate.

Set the cage on top of a drainage pan and you're good.

If you'd like to keep the moisture in the soil a bit better, you can place a cut-to-size piece of corrugated plastic on the outside or the inside of the cage. You can also use plexiglass or a sheet of plastic as a barrier. I'll look for pics tomorrow. I make sure that there is a small gap between the top of the soil and the top of the screen ventilation door.

That's it.

I find that adding a liner for the substrate only adds more places for escaped feeder insects to hide. This method only works if you plan on letting the moisture drain out of your cage. Though you'll probably find that you would have to mist a heck of a lot to see water come out of the bottom into the drainage pan, especially in a large dragon strand. If you are looking to make your cage watertight, then this isn't the option.
But won’t the dirt like seep out of the front service door and look gross because it’s mesh? That’s why I thought I would need a liner of some sort. I would be fine if I didn’t need one. Also concerned with keeping the air flow. But if I do ~5.5” of substrate total, then I’ll have ~2.5 for the air flow. I have holes drilled into the bottom of the pvc and that drain pan on the bottom I vacuum out every few days. I’m spraying about a gallon of water a night I figured, probably less but it seems I’m putting 2gal of water in my mister reservoir about every other day or so.
If a piece of plastic the right height on the inside of the mesh service door is enough that’d be so much easier on me and my Cham. She hates when I fiddle with everything too much 😂
And then what about the digging that I’m concerned about? Seems like the mesh in a digging action could catch a nail and she would be stuck or rip it out. She scraped the bottom of the bin for hours before she laid. Maybe I’m overthinking and it will be fine?

For the other lazy people out there (like me), here's an easier option. What's the point in adding a root pouch? It's a permeable container. Might as well just toss in substrate and have the cage itself become that permeable container for you. I use leap habitats, but before you say "Yeah, but those were made for bioactive setups in mind," I would like to say that I don't use their plastic liner that is supposed to hold the substrate inside of the cage - making it identical, in design and theory, to a Dragon Strand cage. Without the liner, I'm left with three solid walls and a front screen service door.

I toss in the clay balls (hydroballs, leca, and whatever else they are called) for the drainage layer. Toss in a mesh window screen cut to size as a separator between the substrate and the drainage layer, then toss in the substrate on top and leaf litter. I use an ABG mix as the substrate.

Set the cage on top of a drainage pan and you're good.

If you'd like to keep the moisture in the soil a bit better, you can place a cut-to-size piece of corrugated plastic on the outside or the inside of the cage. You can also use plexiglass or a sheet of plastic as a barrier. I'll look for pics tomorrow. I make sure that there is a small gap between the top of the soil and the top of the screen ventilation door.

That's it.

I find that adding a liner for the substrate only adds more places for escaped feeder insects to hide. This method only works if you plan on letting the moisture drain out of your cage. Though you'll probably find that you would have to mist a heck of a lot to see water come out of the bottom into the drainage pan, especially in a large dragon strand. If you are looking to make your cage watertight, then this isn't the option.
I like your way, but I do like having my substrate better contained, like in the root pouch. I’ve found the isopods also enjoy the root pouch as a place to avoid the hunting chameleons.

I’m confused by what you mean. To me, the fabric is the landscape fabric. It’s a solid piece of cloth-like material. I take the mesh to be screening. You need to keep the drainage layer seperated from the soil, with the landscape fabric. If you want to have the floor of the soil layer be more uniform/flatter and defined, you can then use either screening or plastic eggcrate just below the landscape fabric.
Okay yeah. So I’m thinking the landscape fabric or actual mesh/window screen would still catch her nails somehow when she digs down. So the egg crate would give me better reassurance that it won’t do that? Am I overthinking that?

Okay yeah. So I’m thinking the landscape fabric or actual mesh/window screen would still catch her nails somehow when she digs down. So the egg crate would give me better reassurance that it won’t do that? Am I overthinking that?
Like I’m still going to put the lay bin in there. But what if she gets a wild hair and uses the other part

I’ve been thinking about switching to bioactive for my Cham, I did in my bearded dragon enclosure and it’s going well. I hope anyway. So now I want to plan for the other. I’m kinda lost on doing the bottom. Like I’ve seen some people use a plant grow bag, zen habitats has a clear “bio basin”.
I also have this metal plant stand in there that I would have to work around, I’d really hate to just tear the whole thing apart to get a bag in there, if I got something workable like the zen bio basin, I could probably slip it under the legs and up that way instead of taking it all apart.

And then I question the front ventilation. It would pretty much get blocked right? I’ve seen suggestions on sloping the dirt for more room. What if I got a bio basin and cut one end off to make it shorter on one side to allow for air room without the dirt/water coming out the bottom mesh? Idk. I need to brain storm on this.
so glad you posted this! I just got some dragon strands and am debating on bioactive now….but I don’t know how I would do it.

@Sonny13 and @MissSkittles I know both of you have done bioactive for your chameleon enclosures. Have either of you had any issues with mold growth in your bioactive enclosures?
No. I had a mushroom pop up here and there, but I guess that’s a good thing. The biggest problems I had were every now and then the isopods would make a bid for freedom and I’d find them walking down the hall or their desiccated remains in the closet...and the weight of the enclosures was crazy and almost impossible to move. Make sure everything can be accessed without needing to move your enclosure! There were soil gnats, but I’m having more of a problem with them now from my non-bioactive enclosures than ever before.

No. I had a mushroom pop up here and there, but I guess that’s a good thing. The biggest problems I had were every now and then the isopods would make a bid for freedom and I’d find them walking down the hall or their desiccated remains in the closet...and the weight of the enclosures was crazy and almost impossible to move. Make sure everything can be accessed without needing to move your enclosure! There were soil gnats, but I’m having more of a problem with them now from my non-bioactive enclosures than ever before.
Oh i didnt think about the weight of the enclosure. I am going to have to wait to do bioactive then because my enclosures are in a room that is not completed so I'll need to finish that first, then do the bioactive.....sad face.

Thank you so much!

@Sonny13 and @MissSkittles I know both of you have done bioactive for your chameleon enclosures. Have either of you had any issues with mold growth in your bioactive enclosures?
I ended up with that white hair mold in my dragon enclosure. It was on the coco coir that the isopods came in and I just dumped under and piece of cork bark. I picked it all out and good now. I’m also working on clover in there. Slow process😂 I can’t wait to do more with my Cham enclosure.

With the free range setup I never had molt. The ones in the enclosure did, especially the large one from Neo. But after placing a bigger fan in that setup it was gone, same for excessive drainage water. I mist 5 minutes per day with 5 mistheads and almost no drainage water. Before the fan it was a bucket per week 🤔

With the free range setup I never had molt. The ones in the enclosure did, especially the large one from Neo. But after placing a bigger fan in that setup it was gone, same for excessive drainage water. I mist 5 minutes per day with 5 mistheads and almost no drainage water. Before the fan it was a bucket per week 🤔
Interesting! I’m vacuuming a couple gallons out of the drainage tray every few days. Surprised how much those things hold. Maybe it’ll be less when I switch.

Back
Top Bottom