Downsizing to 2' or 3' - opinions?

lele

Avid Member
Hi all - as usual it's been a while, but I see a few familiar "faces" :)

Some of you may recall that Cyrus has a neurological problem. He is doing great and quite stable. He just turned three years old this month :D. He and I have both adjusted quite well, but he still falls. Sometimes not for days and other times, several times a day. He has always been in 2x2x4 cage. I bought a smaller one with intention of moving him but it is narrow and I just feel that he will be too confined so I am thinking about keeping the width (2x2) and either getting a 2' or 3' tall. I am wondering who keeps their cham in either size and if they think their cham has enough height. I have a 2' square that I use for moth rearing but it is not all screen so I have never used it for him.

Currently he has nearly a foot of bubble wrap on the bottom to pad his falls but he can still get stuck near his plant and I just think it is time to make the change. He is very used to change (just traveled to NY with me by car (cage and all!) so do not think he will have any trouble adjusting.

thanks for opinions!

lele and Cyrus

this is a typical place for him to be. He'll fall (sometimes on purpose!) and often stay there for a few hours. I think it keeps his world steady :rolleyes:
3154146955_538d86c248_o.jpg

In cases of "special needs" chameleons, the standard rules don't necessarily apply (in my opinion).
You know him and his routine best.
I think either of those sizes would be fine.

-Brad

Like what Brad said.
I think 3' won't be a problem.
36" height will be fine as well for healthy male panther imho.

I wonder if this is a good thing for him:
photo-reptile-15-june.jpg

I know Gary (LuckyKarma) use a reptile hammock for one of his special need veiled chameleon.

In cases of "special needs" chameleons, the standard rules don't necessarily apply (in my opinion).
You know him and his routine best.
I think either of those sizes would be fine.

-Brad
True, but input can still be helpful. On the one hand I hate the idea of limiting his space but on the other giving him a shorter climb back up may be less work for him. Sometimes when he is lying at the bottom he looks up thru the branches and I wonder if he just sees it as a long climb. :( I only help him when he wants it (we have it all worked out) or if he has not basked enough.

I wonder if this is a good thing for him:
I know Gary (LuckyKarma) use a reptile hammock for one of his special need veiled chameleon.

Before I adjusted his cage I had little "hospital beds" set up so he would not fall at night. Someone had suggested making a hammock of sorts. I tried a few variations but he has quite a tangle of branches since he can only make right turns. The beardie hammocks didn't work in the setup we have now but might when I redo his housing - thanks for the reminder. I'll have to look for posts/pic(?) of LuckyKarma's.

thanks for the link! What a great album - what a lucky cham. Cyrus is certainly not to that point but he does have his troubles and he is also that mellow. I have been trying to figure out how to make the whole bottom of his a hammock to may steal his idea :) I can't free range due to his falling but he is on my lap while I work (he thinks he's a beardie - has watched Darwin one too many times - lol!) and sometimes watches TV with us. The cats are around but pretty much ignore him.

That's very sad that Ginger left home :( I am sure he misses her. Cy's only girlfriend is me and I'm not going any where ;)

Thanks again and Happy New Year to everyone!

lele and Cy

Back
Top Bottom