Smaller cage

Tera_R

Established Member
Okay so fig has not been very happy as of late and has had to spend quite a while in a medical tote and every time he is put in the tote he improves significantly his engery is boosted etc but as soon as he goes back in his big cage he starts to have problems again I’ve talked to my vet my husbandry is good etc I just think fig may benefit from a smaller cage he is in a 4x2x2 I just wanted another opinion on reducing his cage size!

Hello! Can you share a photo of his bin, his enclosure and your guy?
IMG_0462.jpeg
IMG_0461.jpeg
IMG_8106.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0312.jpeg
    IMG_0312.jpeg
    142.9 KB · Views: 25
Do you mind telling me what kind of medical problems he has been having? How do you know he prefers to be in the bin vs the enclosure?

Do you mind telling me what kind of medical problems he has been having? How do you know he prefers to be in the bin vs the enclosure?
So he recently just had surgery because of an abscess in his mouth he got bit by a bug and it got infected. Before that he stopped eat and seemed really stressed he goes through ups and downs where he won’t bask or eat and then will get better and then go back to not basking and eating but as soon as he goes into the medical bin he is fine roams around eats poops normal which is why I think he likes the enclosed space better

So he recently just had surgery because of an abscess in his mouth he got bit by a bug and it got infected. Before that he stopped eat and seemed really stressed he goes through ups and downs where he won’t bask or eat and then will get better and then go back to not basking and eating but as soon as he goes into the medical bin he is fine roams around eats poops normal which is why I think he likes the enclosed space better
Interesting. @MissSkittles @Beman @kinyonga - Have any of you come across this before?

Interesting. @MissSkittles @Beman @kinyonga - Have any of you come across this before?
No, but I haven’t used hospital bins either. But looking at everything, the hospital bin is enclosed with no view of anything except whatever is above. Even though the space is tiny, he can’t see any threats so feels safe. The enclosure is open and low, being on the floor. Even though he does have ample plant cover to hide in, he can’t climb up to escape potential threats (being us humans, our other animal companions, etc) so it’s hard for him to feel safe. I say raise the enclosure so that the top is above your head. I’m also wondering about his basking temp. Maybe the bin is warmer than his basking area.

No, but I haven’t used hospital bins either. But looking at everything, the hospital bin is enclosed with no view of anything except whatever is above. Even though the space is tiny, he can’t see any threats so feels safe. The enclosure is open and low, being on the floor. Even though he does have ample plant cover to hide in, he can’t climb up to escape potential threats (being us humans, our other animal companions, etc) so it’s hard for him to feel safe. I say raise the enclosure so that the top is above your head. I’m also wondering about his basking temp. Maybe the bin is warmer than his basking area.
I can see that being the issue I have been meaning to raise the enclosure but honestly I just haven’t done it.. the basking temp is the same but it’s definitely warmer in the bin. I think maybe switching him to a smaller but taller cage would do him good make it warmer and higher maybe?

I can see that being the issue I have been meaning to raise the enclosure but honestly I just haven’t done it.. the basking temp is the same but it’s definitely warmer in the bin. I think maybe switching him to a smaller but taller cage would do him good make it warmer and higher maybe?
I would keep the larger enclosure and just raise it much higher. I’m a short 5’ and I have mine so high I have to stand on tippy toes to undo the top door latch. 😂

You said…”he recently just had surgery because of an abscess in his mouth he got bit by a bug and it got infected”…was he put on medication?

You said…”he recently just had surgery because of an abscess in his mouth he got bit by a bug and it got infected”…was he put on medication?
Yes he is currently on antibiotics he got pain meds and stuff after the surgery he has a follow up visit soon hence why he is still in the medical bin it’s easier and less stressful to get him so I am able to give him his shots

I would keep the larger enclosure and just raise it much higher. I’m a short 5’ and I have mine so high I have to stand on tippy toes to undo the top door latch. 😂
I just ordered the shelved honestly his cage needs some maintenance the plants have diminished a bit due to the winter and I had to take out the sticks and stuff for the medical bin

Okay so small update on this I got the stands I haven’t set it up yet because I’m waiting for the rest of the stuff I ordered I ordered coraplast board to put on the sides of my cage and then one way film for the front to not only improve the looks but functionality of my cage this should hopefully increase the heat and humidity in his cage (fingers crossed) fig is doing really good and should be back in his normal cage by next week I will send a picture with the updated stuff to make sure everything is good!

Sprightly so I got everything put together except for the front piece I think it looks pretty good fingers crossed I don’t kill these plants

Attachments

• IMG_0732.jpeg
    IMG_0732.jpeg
    200.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0731.jpeg
    IMG_0731.jpeg
    171.1 KB · Views: 23
Sprightly so I got everything put together except for the front piece I think it looks pretty good fingers crossed I don’t kill these plants
There is a plant in the back that I’m a little worried about I think it’s called a shell ginger plant it didn’t produce any sap when I punctured it. Just curious if anyone knows if it’s safe

Back
Top Bottom