Day nap ?

mimicme420

Would I'm lookin at my Lil veild buddy..he's moving around and eating ..drinking ..but I look at him and he seems to take a nap on his perch ? But when I go over to him he's wide awake and alert . Idk if I should be worried or not.

20230725_182931.jpg
live plants ...non toxic . So I needed to use cocafiber for a substrate . Food dish at the bottom of the enclosure. He eats fruit Flys daily ..crickets .not to found of meal worms or wax worms ..or earthworms. Not sure what else is on there deit ..I get mixed answers or mixed info when reading ...so here I am ....also I should add .Baskin spot about 80 to 85 degrees . I have an auto mister setup every6 hours on a smallest setting which ended up working very well . I have 1 t5 uvb bulb and one spot basking bulb ..my ambient temp in my house is about 69 to 72 degrees..I plan on adding more to his enclosure..I just hope he's okay ..he also leans to one side when he's chilling on his branch ..

View attachment 340932live plants ...non toxic . So I needed to use cocafiber for a substrate . Food dish at the bottom of the enclosure. He eats fruit Flys daily ..crickets .not to found of meal worms or wax worms ..or earthworms. Not sure what else is on there deit ..I get mixed answers or mixed info when reading ...so here I am ....also I should add .Baskin spot about 80 to 85 degrees . I have an auto mister setup every6 hours on a smallest setting which ended up working very well . I have 1 t5 uvb bulb and one spot basking bulb ..my ambient temp in my house is about 69 to 72 degrees..I plan on adding more to his enclosure..I just hope he's okay ..he also leans to one side when he's chilling on his branch ..
I should add ..that bonsai tree in his enclosure is in a 3d printed non toxic pot .

Would I'm lookin at my Lil veild buddy..he's moving around and eating ..drinking ..but I look at him and he seems to take a nap on his perch ? But when I go over to him he's wide awake and alert . Idk if I should be worried or not.
I ment to say well ..not would in the beginning

Hello and welcome!

I would personally suggest filling that enclosure with some plants. I feel it may be a little bare for him in there. Also, I saw you mentioned you're using a T5 bulb. That's good, but it's hard to tell how far away that bulb (and the basking bulb) are from where your chameleon can bask.

I highly suggest you head on over to chameleonacademy.com, and review all of the care information there. It gives graphs and info on how far you want your chameleon to be from those bulbs.

If he's too far away, he's not getting enough UVB/heat. Too close, and and he's getting burnt and possible damage to his eyes. Please pay attention to the details, as a 6% / 5.0 UVB bulb, will have different distance needs than a 12% / 10.0 uvb bulb.

The enclosure also looks on the small side (hard to tell from the pic), so you may want to compare that to the recommended minimum (2'x2'x4'), and possibly look into getting him a bigger enclosure sooner than later. Good luck with him! You landed at the right place to get help for sure. This place is loaded with nice people who have a lot of experience and can definitely help.

Hello and welcome!

I would personally suggest filling that enclosure with some plants. I feel it may be a little bare for him in there. Also, I saw you mentioned you're using a T5 bulb. That's good, but it's hard to tell how far away that bulb (and the basking bulb) are from where your chameleon can bask.

I highly suggest you head on over to chameleonacademy.com, and review all of the care information there. It gives graphs and info on how far you want your chameleon to be from those bulbs.

If he's too far away, he's not getting enough UVB/heat. Too close, and and he's getting burnt and possible damage to his eyes. Please pay attention to the details, as a 6% / 5.0 UVB bulb, will have different distance needs than a 12% / 10.0 uvb bulb.

The enclosure also looks on the small side (hard to tell from the pic), so you may want to compare that to the recommended minimum (2'x2'x4'), and possibly look into getting him a bigger enclosure sooner than later. Good luck with him! You landed at the right place to get help for sure. This place is loaded with nice people who have a lot of experience and can definitely help.

could you send some more pictures of the lights at top please?
Yes I will as soon as I get home from work I just left I work 3rd shift and it sux

Hello and welcome!

It maybe a Lil small ..he's only about 5 inches ..I bought this enclosure from petco. I'm using 1 t5 bulb I'll have to looks at the specs . But I'm pretty sure it's within the range it's supposed to be . ..1 daylight spot basking bulb. It's blue in color but shines white light . ...I plan on doing more research . I did start with a reptisun ubv bulb ..it was like 10.0 uvb or something like that ...it was the compact bulb that came with the enclosure I bought from petco . ..I do plan on adding more live plants and such .

Yes I will as soon as I get home from work I just left I work 3rd shift and it sux
no problem! We just need as much info as possible in order to help you. Chameleons don't nap during the day, so if he's closing his eyes a lot, there is some kind of issue there. Husbandry seems to be the solution for almost all of those potential problems though!

It maybe a Lil small ..he's only about 5 inches ..I bought this enclosure from petco. I'm using 1 t5 bulb I'll have to looks at the specs . But I'm pretty sure it's within the range it's supposed to be . ..1 daylight spot basking bulb. It's blue in color but shines white light . ...I plan on doing more research . I did start with a reptisun ubv bulb ..it was like 10.0 uvb or something like that ...it was the compact bulb that came with the enclosure I bought from petco . ..I do plan on adding more live plants and such .
Yeah the enclosure is fine for at least a little while. Just keep in mind they grow quickly! That right now is probably not the most pressing need though. That enclosure looks like it should be okay for a little while. I wouldn't push it though. I'd plan on getting a new one in the near future for sure.

Do they like dance when they walk ..idk it's weird to explain I'd send a video but it won't let me ..he's got black bands on him right now..bright green too

Do they like dance when they walk ..idk it's weird to explain I'd send a video but it won't let me ..he's got black bands on him right now..bright green too
Absolutely. Like he hesitates? I believe they do this to maintain their balance, because they climb on things all the time that could potentially not hold up. If it says the video is too large, simply try recording him on a lower resolution and for a shorter period of time. It's worth posting that on here because someone more experienced might be able to tell you if it is something to be concerned about.

Are his eyes actually closed when he ‘naps’? I ask because you said he is wide awake and alert when you go over to him. Sometimes I think my guy is sleeping but he is just being still while he basks. He won’t be moving but his eyes are darting all around.

Back
Top Bottom