choosing a breed for my first chameleon

Sir Spiral Tail

I am in the process of building a 2x2x4 cage, trying to decide between a veiled or jackson. Is there much difference in their care, i have done my research on veilds and am now thinking of going with a jackson...any suggestions on choosing my first breed?

Veileds are more forgiving and are a easier to care for. With that sized cage, I would start with a 5-6 month old veiled male and get a jacksons after you've got the swing of things.

Granted, Veileds are a lot easier to care for, if you have done the proper research on jacksons they can be just as easy. I think every specie of chameleon is easy to care for as long as they are set up properly from the beginning. If you like jacksons better you should go with that, that way you wont have buyers remorse and wish you purchased a jackson.

If you set them up correctly in the beginning and are consistent with the care (as with all chameleons) panthers are a great choice. Consistency is the key.

The key difference between ease of care of a veiled vs jackson's will be their temp and humidity requirements. Your particular house or regional climate will probably determine how much easier one or the other actually is. If you live in a dry climate, need AC in summer, have cold dry winters, or your house doesn't cool into the low 60s at night, a jax will be harder. You may invest more $ into humidifiers or misters, possibly needing an AC too. They need consistently higher cage humidity than a veiled, cooler temps especially at night, and are more sensitive to supplements. They tend to be shy, but docile (at least mine seemed to be).

Another problem with Jackson's is that many that are offered are wild caught.
The differences between keeping a WC animal and keeping a captive bred one are huge!
Go with a CB animal your first time around.

-Brad

why wouldnt u go with a panther? i understand it could be the price, but panthers are extremely easy to care for and have so much more colors to choose from!!!!

Chameleons 101 is awesome. They take great care of their animals, I've been there. I'd recommend them to anyone who wants a healthy panther chameleon for very reasonable prices.

Oh! Blue bird is beautiful! I love you guys...i would have bought an unhealthy fischer baby in a glass tank and killed the poor guy without you. Now i am prepared, and know what i need to do. I appreciate you all so much

Make sure to call and email. They often times have chameleons that aren't from their breeders for sale. I purchased a chameleon from them that is from a nice line that usually goes for 160 for quite a bit less and she is wonderful!

Back
Top Bottom