New Jackson's Xantholophus

elizaann2

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hello Chameleon Friends!

I purchased a male Jacksons from Frank Payne and he arrived early yesterday morning. I am not sure what I am going to name him yet. I like Bilbo Baggins and my daughter likes Igor. Thoughts?

I am following the care guide from the Chameleon Academy for a Jacksons, he is in his own room with literally NO traffic. Eventually this room will be my reptile room but for now it is his very own. We have an AC installed in that room to meet his required night time temp drops and I'm feeding him small dubia, silk worms, bsfl, and supers and wax worms (treats only for the last two). I have an awesome reptile store nearby I was thinking of picking up some fruit flies for him as well. Are these too small for him now? He is 4 months old.

I know this species is a lot harder to care for so I was hoping to get some feedback on any other tips and tricks I can do to give this guy the best life possible. Once he is fully grown I'd like to actually put him in a larger enclosure than the 2x2x4 that I currently have him in.

I've included photos of him, he is pretty dark, I am assuming just from the stress of travel and being in a new environment. Beyond checking his temps and humidity levels (the temp/hydrometer reader is set in a way that I can glance in the room without him seeing me in any way) we are leaving him completely alone. And like my other chameleons, will only handle him out of necessity such as a vet visit.

Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• IMG-7128.jpg
    IMG-7128.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG-7145.jpg
    IMG-7145.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG-7145 (1).jpg
    IMG-7145 (1).jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG-7142.jpg
    IMG-7142.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG-7129.jpg
    IMG-7129.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG-7146 (1).jpg
    IMG-7146 (1).jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG-7147.jpg
    IMG-7147.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG-7155.jpg
    IMG-7155.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 61
You could try fruit flies but He's past that stage. Why don't you get BSFL and mature them into flies, he will love it.
Oh I’ve got those already! The flies are my panthers favorite bug so I make sure I always have them for him. I didn’t think about the flies for little Bilbo because I thought he would be too small for them. Thanks for the suggestion! I’ll let you know how they work out.

Back
Top Bottom