Chameleon Sitting Nightmare

bay1997

Established Member
Hi all, I mostly just need to vent and complain to some like minded Cham folks. I went on vacation for about a month, I left my pets with the same pet sitter I have used for the past few years and they have always done an AMAZING job. Until this trip. Before leaving I showed them exactly what needed to be done for Jameson, left notes with as much info as I possibly could, and because they have watched my animals before with no issue I felt confident that everything would go smoothly.
Two weeks in I get a call saying that the linear UVB bulb “exploded” I thought it was strange but just let them know where his old dome UVB was and figured that could work for the rest of the time we were gone and I could worry about a new linear bulb when I got home.
Then around 4 days ago (the day we were flying home) I get ANOTHER call saying that the Mistking is malfunctioning and the timers weren’t working and the mist cycles weren’t happening. Also strange because it was working perfectly before I left home. But again, I just gave them instructions to use the hand mister at least 4 times a day. Flash forward to getting home that night, the linear bulb looks like it got dropped somehow and broke, and the mistking is no where to be found. So obviously some one was not being honest with what happened.
They’re insisting that bulb broke on its own and said THEY THREW MY MISTKING INTO THE GARBAGE BECAUSE IT BROKE AND THEY THOUGHT THEY WERW DOING ME A FAVOR BY GETTING IT OUT OF THE HOUSE.
Thankfully, Jameson seems to be okay, a little dehydrated but nothing too concerning.
it goes with out saying that they did not get paid, will be purchasing a new Mistking, and will not ever be left with my babies again.
Moral of the story don’t trust anyone with you Chams and never leave your house

When i go on vacation it will be easy now.

"Ok put the meat ball on the plate infront of the closet, it should magically disappear in a few hours"

"pee pee pads may end up with poop on them, source is unknown"

(in reality, if left unattended, the 3ft tegu will get out of his cage, hide in the sheets with the heatmats in the closet till the end of time, and just come out occasionally to forage/poop)

Worst thing I ever had happen while on vacation was getting sent a picture of two of my chameleons in the same cage and being asked "which one goes where?". Fortunately they were sisters in a divided cage and when my sitter cleaned the cage, which she didn't need to do, it opened passage between cages. They hadn't seen each other in a while but were still young enough to not intimidate each other and she was able to sort them out.

I was in on the testing of the "Shooting Gallery Feeders" They hold a lot of bugs and only crickets can escape but mostly they don't even try to leave. I haven't had a loose cricket in the house since I started with this latest version. I put superworms, crickets and Dubia in all at once with a long piece of carrot or bell pepper (too big for my chams to eat). My chameleons pick off the supers first day, then the crickets the next and finally the dubia. That way I know they have food for at least 3 days that has some gut load.

Well that really sucks!

My daughter knows me too well. This is the popsocket she got me for Christmas because I would never go anywhere. At the time nothing was automated. I was stressed just going to the store lol

Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 10.51.51 AM.png

Cham Compound will also include community gardens for all members to farm feeder gutload, as well as bug farms for all the feeder colonies. Everyone does their part, everyone benefits. One of us. One of us.

And, like my local animal rescue, we can have a website/phone that you just type in your 4 digit code, and get a live webcam/text update of your critter:)

Back
Top Bottom