Atlas.Orion
New Member
So I got Atlas this past July. He was hatched in January 2026, making him just under nine months old. I’ve heard and read from multiple sources that chameleons rarely, if ever, want attention or affection. That’s just not them, which is awesome. I understand that they’re pets to look at and observe and that they will most likely never be a cuddly type of animal, and that’s great. I knew that going in.
Atlas normally just kind of sits around his cage under his basking lamp. Sometimes he’ll walk around after a meal, but he’s a pretty chill and laid-back guy. I’ve only had him for just under 90 days, and occasionally he’ll crawl up on my hand, which is great. I’ve heard that that’s a really great sign this early on because normally it can take chameleons upwards of 12 months to trust somebody? And so I’ve been very happy with his progress.
With that said, this last weekend he did something completely unprecedented and decided that instead of chin scratches, he was going to crawl up my hand, up my arm, to my shoulder and stop and stare at me. His colors weren’t flared. The colors in the picture I’m posting are kind of his normal everyday colors when he’s walking around his cage. He’s this very pretty emerald with teal stripes down the center, and he just kind of stopped and stared at me like, “What do we do now?”
I thought it was a fluke. I put him back in the cage. He decided he wanted back out again, and this time I put my opposite hand up. Apparently there was something in the kitchen he wanted because he started trying to walk through air, at which point his colors did flare up. His whites and reds came out and were very prominent, and he was trying to move so fast I had to put him back in the cage.
Fast-forward to today, and he did the same thing. He crawled up to my shoulder, got close to my face, stared at me, and then kind of creepy-crawled closer. Then he decided that he wanted on my other arm and hand, but I put him back in the cage because I thought he was hungry. He wasn’t. He ate one roach, it fell on one of his leaves, and then that was it.
When he got out on my other hand, that’s when his attitude really changed. His colors flared. He crawled up to my elbow, and he was looking intently at something on the other side of the room that I could not see. His entire body language changed. He flattened himself against my arm, and the only reason I know that he was looking at something specific is because every time I moved, his head moved and stayed focused on whatever he was looking at that apparently I could not see.
I had to get on with my morning, so I put him back in the cage. I don’t think he liked that because his colors stayed flared for a while, and when my husband came down into the kitchen to get his coffee, Atlas just stared at him. So I don’t know if he’s telling me that he needs to get out and explore or if there’s genuinely something on the other side of the room that has caught his eye that he needs to go look at.
But for a panther chameleon that is under a year old and has only been in my care for barely three months, is this normal?
Atlas normally just kind of sits around his cage under his basking lamp. Sometimes he’ll walk around after a meal, but he’s a pretty chill and laid-back guy. I’ve only had him for just under 90 days, and occasionally he’ll crawl up on my hand, which is great. I’ve heard that that’s a really great sign this early on because normally it can take chameleons upwards of 12 months to trust somebody? And so I’ve been very happy with his progress.
With that said, this last weekend he did something completely unprecedented and decided that instead of chin scratches, he was going to crawl up my hand, up my arm, to my shoulder and stop and stare at me. His colors weren’t flared. The colors in the picture I’m posting are kind of his normal everyday colors when he’s walking around his cage. He’s this very pretty emerald with teal stripes down the center, and he just kind of stopped and stared at me like, “What do we do now?”
I thought it was a fluke. I put him back in the cage. He decided he wanted back out again, and this time I put my opposite hand up. Apparently there was something in the kitchen he wanted because he started trying to walk through air, at which point his colors did flare up. His whites and reds came out and were very prominent, and he was trying to move so fast I had to put him back in the cage.
Fast-forward to today, and he did the same thing. He crawled up to my shoulder, got close to my face, stared at me, and then kind of creepy-crawled closer. Then he decided that he wanted on my other arm and hand, but I put him back in the cage because I thought he was hungry. He wasn’t. He ate one roach, it fell on one of his leaves, and then that was it.
When he got out on my other hand, that’s when his attitude really changed. His colors flared. He crawled up to my elbow, and he was looking intently at something on the other side of the room that I could not see. His entire body language changed. He flattened himself against my arm, and the only reason I know that he was looking at something specific is because every time I moved, his head moved and stayed focused on whatever he was looking at that apparently I could not see.
I had to get on with my morning, so I put him back in the cage. I don’t think he liked that because his colors stayed flared for a while, and when my husband came down into the kitchen to get his coffee, Atlas just stared at him. So I don’t know if he’s telling me that he needs to get out and explore or if there’s genuinely something on the other side of the room that has caught his eye that he needs to go look at.
But for a panther chameleon that is under a year old and has only been in my care for barely three months, is this normal?