Chameleon Mutation W/ Video

Ethen44

This is from our clutch of F. Paradalis concieved on June 16th 2012. The babies began to hatch on Feb 14th, 2013, with the exception of one very large egg. We suspected all along that there may be 2 embrios in the enormous egg, and sadly we were correct. To our surprise, a baby mutant somehow emerged from the egg still alive. Although it did not appear to have any muscle or bone, it was able to emerge from the egg sac. It was born with transparent skin, and you can clearly see his vital organs working together. You can see his heart, liver, lung, and stomach from what I can tell. The only skin on his body was the small amount around his head, which was still transparent! Anyways, I isolated him and his egg and froze him. (sorry it's the most humane way I could think of) I thought of squishing him, but I just had to disect him. After disection I concurred that there was indeed a second embrio that hadn't made it much past the initial fertilization of the egg. It turned out to be second egg, inside of the larger egg, it was just completely undeveloped despite some minor blood vessels.

Here's the link. I'll post some more videos later.

http://youtu.be/jg6u-PPZA9U

Sorry for the quality. It wouldn't let me upload it in HD. I also don't have the most steady hands. The heart is in the lower left quadrant, and you can just faintly see it in this video. Although in the others it is more prominant.

Last edited:
I watched the video.

That chameleon that hatched didn't even look like a chameleon. I was confused as to where his head/tail was :p

Good luck with him. Did you breed him to be like that?

I watched the video.

That chameleon that hatched didn't even look like a chameleon. I was confused as to where his head/tail was :p

Good luck with him. Did you breed him to be like that?

Know, I didn't breed him to be an obination haha. I didn't do any in breeding either. What seemed to have happened is that two eggs got ovulated within one egg, and it seems to have tried to have two chameleons come out of one egg. The result was two partially developed embrios merged together as one. I disected it and found a second head, and on the inside was 4 leggs and a tail. It appeared to be inside out? Having no spine, but only a head, legs, and a tail, the middle section and spine were not present, and instead there was a thin transparent skin.

It was definitely a chameleon however, I dont know what caused the genetic dissorder, but I suspect it may have been an incline in incubation temperature

how strange!! i watched the video and it was very hard to even tell it was chameleon, its amazing how genetic defects and mishaps in early development affect the outcome like this.. are the other babies alright? just one/two mutated babies?

how strange!! i watched the video and it was very hard to even tell it was chameleon, its amazing how genetic defects and mishaps in early development affect the outcome like this.. are the other babies alright? just one/two mutated babies?

All of the other babies are pretty healthy so far. That was only the 3rd egg to hatch though, there are still 12 more to come. So I guess only time will tell.
So I disected this thing, and on the inside was a normal looking chameleon! He even had patterns/definition on his face. So on the outside was the organs, and on the inside was a partially developed neonate! He had a tale, all four legs, both eyes and a full head, but no spine or midsection! Instead, there was a second under developed head poking out. The crazy thing is, is that we saw the dark underdeveloped head first, and it's eye opened! It wasn't until disection that we discovered an "almost" normal neonate, with a fully developed head! This has been crazy. I feel terrible, but I can't help but express my excitement in how exciting nature is!!! My girlfriend is an emotional mess because of the whole situation (it was her favorite egg) and I am going to end up in the dog house if I bring it up around her again. I just can't help myself though!

I'll let you know what comes of the other 12 eggs.

oh wow!! its definitely interesting! im not the squemish type so i think its intriquing but i can see how she would be upset, did she see its eye open??
well i hope the rest of the eggs are normal. it is interesting to see a mishap of nature in person indeed but still sad for the little chams!
definitely keep us updated on the other 12!! and i hope your girlfriend feels better soon

I'm sorry about your guys loss, it must of been exciting/nerve racking and very scary waiting for it to hatch. I feel bad for him, but you did the right thing. What kind of chameleon did you have (maybe i read passed it but I dont think I did)
This is truly crazy! I wish good luck for the rest :) I want a female!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom