Baby panther chameleon eyes closed

Takani1

Hello I have a question about my baby panther chameleon I've raised chameleons before I've raised them from eggs before but this is my first panther chameleon he is a few months old he's been really good until the last three days he's had his eyes closed he's still very active and crawling around and his eye sockets are still moving but the holes are not open I have called the vets around where I live and I can't get him in until possibly April 5th the soonest if I can get him in as an emergency but that's a big if so I was wondering if there's anything I can do to help him right now or to help his eyes right now or to help him eat right now because so far all he can do is drink water because his eyes are closed

Cage
He's in a screen cage it's custom built, about 1ft x 1ft x 2ft
He's had a reptisun 5.0 bulb in a dome fixture
he has a basking light and spot 80°
16173025186737425632009324147765.jpg

He has fake and real plants he's got branches
His humidity is usually 60 to 70% at night time it's around 90 to 100% his lights on a timer so that's consistent there is no substrate in the bottom all it's just a paper towel his cage normally has a few extra plants in it but since he's had his eyes closed I have to keep an eye on him so I had to take a few things out
Food
He eats a ton of flightless fruit flies he has not eaten a cricket yet he won't he's afraid of them but I keep trying i dust with calcium every other day and he gets multivitamin twice a month and he gets D3 once a month I have repcal brand
He only gets misted with bottled water
Handling
I don't he hates me🤣
Only if I needed to change something in his cage

everything has been consistent since he was hatched so I think maybe he's got an eye
16173026362638791461056021535598.jpg
infection or something in it that's going to require drops but like I said I can't get him in until April 5th the earliest and I'm concerned about him not eating that long

Can you post a couple more photos of him please so I can see him better.

Are you raising him exactly like you raised your others? How old did your others live to be? Males or females?

Are you raising him exactly like you raised your others? How old did your others live to be? Males or females?
Well I raised baby veiled chameleons not Panthers this is my first panther iv raised 😁

Attachments

• 16173282246078731341934008793212.jpg
    16173282246078731341934008793212.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 134
  • 16173282553751275035708880807937.jpg
    16173282553751275035708880807937.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 128

My veiled chameleon lived from hatching to 7years old

I've raised veileds and panthers and they are done very much the same with me.

Last edited:
More photos

Attachments

• IMG_20210401_185740871.jpg
    IMG_20210401_185740871.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_20210401_185722240.jpg
    IMG_20210401_185722240.jpg
    338.9 KB · Views: 140
I know but I can't get him in until maybe April 5th as a walk in emergency but I'm afraid he won't last that long not being able to eat does anyone have any advice on how to feed him?

Hello I have a question about my baby panther chameleon I've raised chameleons before I've raised them from eggs before but this is my first panther chameleon he is a few months old he's been really good until the last three days he's had his eyes closed he's still very active and crawling around and his eye sockets are still moving but the holes are not open I have called the vets around where I live and I can't get him in until possibly April 5th the soonest if I can get him in as an emergency but that's a big if so I was wondering if there's anything I can do to help him right now or to help his eyes right now or to help him eat right now because so far all he can do is drink water because his eyes are closed

Cage
He's in a screen cage it's custom built, about 1ft x 1ft x 2ft
He's had a reptisun 5.0 bulb in a dome fixture
he has a basking light and spot 80° View attachment 297517
He has fake and real plants he's got branches
His humidity is usually 60 to 70% at night time it's around 90 to 100% his lights on a timer so that's consistent there is no substrate in the bottom all it's just a paper towel his cage normally has a few extra plants in it but since he's had his eyes closed I have to keep an eye on him so I had to take a few things out
Food
He eats a ton of flightless fruit flies he has not eaten a cricket yet he won't he's afraid of them but I keep trying i dust with calcium every other day and he gets multivitamin twice a month and he gets D3 once a month I have repcal brand
He only gets misted with bottled water
Handling
I don't he hates me🤣
Only if I needed to change something in his cage

everything has been consistent since he was hatched so I think maybe he's got an eyeView attachment 297520 infection or something in it that's going to require drops but like I said I can't get him in until April 5th the earliest and I'm concerned about him not eating that long
Doesn’t look like a linear T5 if its not that’s your problem

The compact fluorescents bulbs have been known to cause some eye damage and with your chameleon being soo close to the light to bask I wonder if that could be affecting his vision. You will want to change to the linear tube t5ho 5.0 uvb. Is your thermometer digital or gauge? I wonder if your cham is cold seeking out close proximity to your light. And which multivitamin are you using? Vitamin A helps with eye health so it’s best to make sure your multi has vitamin A (retinol or broad spectrum carotenoids). Hope this helps
Heres a video on force feeding if you have to.

Back
Top Bottom