Veiled Chameleon Eye Issue w/ Video

kdiddyfresh

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon. Male. Not sure of the age, but looks about 1-2 months old. I've had him for 8 days now.
  • Handling - I only handled him the first day we got him to place him in his cage.
  • Feeding - Crickets. I hand feed him around 12 small crickets a day because he seems to miss a lot when trying to hunt for them. I don't gut feed. I go to the store and immediately place the crickets in after I buys, but I'm still working on a setup to gutfeed. I've also ordered crickets online from a better source, so I will stop going to Petco after those come.
  • Supplements - I'm using calcium with D3 and my planned schedule is to use it 2 times a month. Also, I've ordered a calcium without D3 to use at every feeding and I'm still waiting for that
  • Watering - I mist the cage about 3-4 times a day with a misting bottle. I also have cup on top of the enclosure with a few holes to provide moving water for him to drink
  • Fecal Description - His dropping have been kind of a grayish-brown color, with the other portion being mostly white. It was yellow about once since I got him. He has not been tested for parasites.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - I have a glass cage. size is 12 x 12 x 18" (Planning to upgrade the cage very soon) . For the flooring, I use paper towels that I switch out every day.
  • Lighting - Zoo Med daytime blue basking lite 60W. UVB light is a reptisun T5 HO 15W UVB bulb.
  • Temperature - At the top of the cage it is around 80 Fahrenheit for basking and at the bottom of the cage it goes down to ~72 Fahrenheit. I have a thermometer that tracks the temperature at the top and bottom of the cage.
  • Humidity - Humidity levels stay above 30% and averages in the 50%s throughout the day. I maintain this by daily misting. I have a device that it measuring the humidity (ZooMed Product).
  • Plants - I'm using fake plants. The plastic ones from petco. Making a switch to real plants very soon.
  • Placement - Cage is located next to my bed, but it's leveled higher than the bed. I do have a spinning fan, which I keep on a low speed at most times of the day. It's not directly on top of the cage, but near it.
  • Location - I'm located in Maryland

Current Problem - My chameleon has been having intermittent eye issues for the past 2 weeks days. He keeps his left eye closed throughout most of the day and I notice that he does try to clean it a lot, but sucking his eyes in. Also, when he sucks in his eye, something that looks like a purple bruise/bump kind of pops out. I've attached a video showing what his happens to his eye when he tries to clean it.

You can find the video at this link:

Looks like an eye infection, get him checked out by a vet and they’ll be able to prescribe the right meds for it to go down over time

Concerning the crickets...they should be fed/gutloaded before feeding them to the chameleon. You can't depend on it having been done by Petco. How many are you putting in the cage at one time?

Looks like an eye infection, get him checked out by a vet and they’ll be able to prescribe the right meds for it to go down over time

Can you please tell me what is the base for your diagnosis?

Eye infections have a very clear picture:
Pus in eye
Milky secretion from eye
Oculsr swelling
Circumocular swelling

Nothing out of this is seen here

It looks like a
Mechanic irritation

So, a flush is needed
Wirh saline solition or eye drops
you do yourself or ask a Vet

The eye problems are extremely often ried with teo fsctors: