Cham closing eye sometimes?

Chameleon87

Hey there everyone, I was wondering if anyone elses cham will close one of his eyes every once and a while? He is eating normally, hydrated with normal urates and bowel movements, active and everything. When I look at him when his eye is closed to examine him he will open his eye closed eye and look at me. Not close very often just periodically but I tend to notice it is his right eye. Any chance a camera flash might have done something?

Re: Eye and cage info

Just to let everyone know, I happen to be very OCD and obsess about the smallest little things but better safe than sorry I always say.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Cage is 24x24x48 with screen and full swinging door. Currently working on modifying base and switching stands to allow for better drainage. Have a ficus, hibiscus, and pothos inside.

* Lighting - Using a Repti-sun 5.0 tube uvb bulb, just got a couple new ones today, bout time to replace this one. Was using a 50 watt basking bulb but have switched to incandescent and elevated it a little bit more to lower heat.

* Temperature - My apt. has refrigerated air and is set at 75 degrees, however no ac vents near cham enclosure which is by a window. Temp probably in mid 70's and basking spot in mid 80's; just got a new temp and humidity gauge I'll be adding tomorrow too.

* Humidity - Use a humidity gauge, like I said just got a new one too. Humidity is generally around 50-60%, have a humidifier with auto controls on it next to the cage and mist often throughout the day as well as a dripper.

* Plants - Yes I am using live plants, have a hibiscus, small ficus, and a pothos inside the cage along with many artificial vines.

* Placement - Cage is against my wall in my living room within window light, no ac vents are near, overhead fan around 8 feet away - run it occasionally. No high traffic at work during day, homework at night. Next to aquarium but i just added dark shading screening on both sides to dim light at night. Cage is elevated 2-3 feet off floor with the top of the cage around 6 - 6 1/2 feet off the floor.
* Location - I live in Las Cruces, NM. usually rather dry and hot in summer and springs but has begun to cool off and rain a lot more lately.

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - I have a panther chameleon cross from kammerflage creations. He is a male and 9 months old, have had him since he was 2 month (original owner).

* Handling - I handle him every once in a while maybe 2 times a week if that, currently have been to rework the enclosure but place him on a pothos in my house and he is content. He's friendly sometime wanting to come out.

* Feeding - Originally I was just feeding him a staple food of crickets, have ordered some hornworms, superworms, butter worms from mulberry farms (they are out of silkworms). Have started switching up his diet; 5-6 crickets everyother day, if no crickets will give him a superworm or 2, ocassionally a hornworm (2-3 a week; just while i have them), and a butterworm maybe once a week (they are in the fridge).

* Supplements - Originally I was way over-supplementing as I found out on another post, now I have cut back - I have Rep Cal Calcium w/ and w/o D3, and Miner-al multivitamin.
New Schedule:
M - calcium
T - none
W - calcium -
Th- none
F - calcium w/ D3, or Miner-al ; switch off every week
S - none
Su - calcium or none

* Watering - I use a dripper, and I mist 3-4 times per day for around 5 minutes each time. Working on drainage from cage in order to increase dripper size so water can run constantly all day w/o leak. See chameleon drink occasionally but I am never home from 7:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. where the dripper runs majority of the time.

* Fecal Description - Feces and urates are normal but consistency has decreased. feces are dark brown/black and urates are white in color. No he has not been tested for parasites.

* History - Has been growing and doing very well for my first cham I believe, and I love em; weighed him today, was rather a hard process but he was between 180-190 gms.

* Current Problem - Just the occasional closing of his right eye at diff points in the day; was working on cage and put him in pothos in my house today and checked on him and he was only looking w/ one eye, other eye was towards the base of the plant and closed. Sometimes dark color in cage, but was very bright in new larger pothos today.

Thanks!

Ryan

Back
Top Bottom