Bumps on tail

SerpeRoma

Avid Member
Hey, I have a friend in Italy that's having some issues with his Cham. He doesn't speak English so I'm posting for him and will translate afterwards, I already translated and sent him the Husbandry Form and he's filling it. I will translate it and post it here once I get it.
Here's some pictures of the issue:
IMG_20220222_095455_279.jpg
IMG_20220222_095458_588.jpg
IMG_20220222_095502_167.jpg
IMG_20220222_095505_078.jpg

He already brought him to the vet for previous bumps and the vet just said to let him be.. he's gonna take him again, but would like some other opinions as well! Thanks guys!

i see this a good amount on panthers i would say take it to a vet immediately before it gets any worse luckily it is fairly small compared to some others i see

Did the previous bumps eventually go away or does he still have them? Do/did they look the same as these? My first thought is maybe a cricket/other feeder bite or injury…maybe infected and needing to be cleaned out and antibiotics prescribed. My second thought is abnormal growth that needs removal and biopsy. Is there a different vet your friend can go to? If not, I’d definitely be asking for answers as to what exactly he/she thinks the bumps are.

- Furcifer Pardalis Nosy Faly
- Male, 2 and a half years old
- Almost daily handling
- Diet based on crickets, cockroaches and occasionally locusts and silkworms from May onwards, 4/5 days a week
- calcium every time except 1 per meal
- automatic irrigation
- misting 4 times of 20 seconds in winter, 6 times in summer for 30 seconds, he drinks
- perfect excrements
- Fully mesh cage 100x50x120 with 0.5 mm mesh
- Arcadia T5 neon lighting 6%
- Temperature: 86° top 82º basking point and 73° below, at night 71°
- humidity day 50% night 60%
- probe hygrometer
- live plants (schefflera)
- near windows and heater
- raised position above a piece of furniture
-Italy

Did the previous bumps eventually go away or does he still have them? Do/did they look the same as these? My first thought is maybe a cricket/other feeder bite or injury…maybe infected and needing to be cleaned out and antibiotics prescribed. My second thought is abnormal growth that needs removal and biopsy. Is there a different vet your friend can go to? If not, I’d definitely be asking for answers as to what exactly he/she thinks the bumps are.
The other bumps are still there he said, and he doubts it's a cricket bite since the Cham eats from the cup

The other bumps are still there he said, and he doubts it's a cricket bite since the Cham eats from the cup
- Furcifer Pardalis Nosy Faly
- Male, 2 and a half years old
- Almost daily handling
- Diet based on crickets, cockroaches and occasionally locusts and silkworms from May onwards, 4/5 days a week
- calcium every time except 1 per meal
- automatic irrigation
- misting 4 times of 20 seconds in winter, 6 times in summer for 30 seconds, he drinks
- perfect excrements
- Fully mesh cage 100x50x120 with 0.5 mm mesh
- Arcadia T5 neon lighting 6%
- Temperature: 86° top 82º basking point and 73° below, at night 71°
- humidity day 50% night 60%
- probe hygrometer
- live plants (schefflera)
- near windows and heater
- raised position above a piece of furniture
-Italy
his humidity should be 70% percent in the day and 70% or higher at night also i would just mist twice a day for 2-3 minutes once when lights turn one one 30 minutes after lights turn off every thing else seems fine can i get a picture of the whole cage also i would say take it to a vent soon

his humidity should be 70% percent in the day and 70% or higher at night also i would just mist twice a day for 2-3 minutes once when lights turn one one 30 minutes after lights turn off every thing else seems fine can i get a picture of the whole cage also i would say take it to a vent soon
I just talked to him about light, supplements and night drop as far as temps and humidity, I'll ask him a picture of the enclosure, in the meantime he's going to have the vet over at his house soon. I'll keep you guys posted.

daytime humidity is fine it should not be sitting higher than 60% during the day and it is a range of 50-60% daytime your looking for with a Panther... And you only want high night humidity if you are actually dropping temps at night below 68. THey need a good night temp drop even down to 60 would be fine. Should be properly supplementing with every feeding. Calcium without d3 every feeding except 2 times a month when a multivitamin is used. At this age they would only feed every other day 3-5 feeders.

Per the bumps they should take it to a vet that actually knows how to treat reptiles. The fact that it is getting more and they do not go away indicate an issue. They fact that the vet did not want to even biopsy it to find out what is going on is an issue.

daytime humidity is fine it should not be sitting higher than 60% during the day and it is a range of 50-60% daytime your looking for with a Panther... And you only want high night humidity if you are actually dropping temps at night below 68. THey need a good night temp drop even down to 60 would be fine. Should be properly supplementing with every feeding. Calcium without d3 every feeding except 2 times a month when a multivitamin is used. At this age they would only feed every other day 3-5 feeders.

Per the bumps they should take it to a vet that actually knows how to treat reptiles. The fact that it is getting more and they do not go away indicate an issue. They fact that the vet did not want to even biopsy it to find out what is going on is an issue.
Totally agree! I suggested all of these things, but when it comes to the vet there's not much to do, chameleons are very rare pets in Italy, I don't know how much experience a vet could have.. I'll go over his husbandry with him and see if he's doing everything by the book.

I agree with @Beman. 50-60% is a great humidity for a panther during the day. Anything over that seems excessive. You are correct about the nighttime humidity. As for the misting time, I think that really depends on how healthy the poop is looking. A lot of European keepers use glass vivariums instead of the typical screen cage. So over saturating can happen quite quickly. Additionally, it depends on how much water is coming out of the misting nozzle at one time. I bought a second Mistking a couple of weeks ago and the new nozzles spray out water differently than my old one. My old one sprays out a lot more water than my new one. This is just one of the reasons why I caution people when recommending a specific amount of time to mist. There are so many different factors that go into proper humidity that it is basically impossible to give a recommended misting length unless your setup is almost identical to theirs. And even then, there will be unquantifiable differences such as airflow, window placement, etc that influence an individual's setup. If the poop looks healthy and the chams eyes are not sunken in, then it seems like his artificial ecosystem is doing its job.

Totally agree! I suggested all of these things, but when it comes to the vet there's not much to do, chameleons are very rare pets in Italy, I don't know how much experience a vet could have.. I'll go over his husbandry with him and see if he's doing everything by the book.
Could be many things going on with those bumps. Anything from viral to cancerous and more in between lol. So hard with these guys anyways. If vet care is not an option I would just ensure husbandry is on point and ensure that the cham has a good quality of life. I would also make sure not to cross contaminate anything if they have other reptiles since you do not know what exactly it is or if it is contagious.

And I have no recommendations other than what has already been said. An experienced vet is needed. This doesn't seem like any of the usual suspects we see on the forums. An experienced vet is needed to check that out so it doesn't get worse. Tell him to shop around for an exotic vet. Not impressed by the vet he went to.

Back
Top Bottom