Building questions

How many coats do I need to apply? And is this only if I use something like pine? Will there be an issue if it rains between coats?
On bare pine, I'd use 3 coats. In warm dry summer weather, a coat can dry in a s little as 2 hrs.
In high humidity, it could take 24 hrs. On rainy days, it might take a bit longer.
Sand lightly (just enough to knock the grit off) between coats. Last coat won't need sanding.
Use a fine sandpaper, like 200 or more.

Rain will only be an issue if it falls directly on what you're finishing. I do mine in the garage.

I'm getting the sense that you're doing this without a written plan, no?
So I sort of have one :hilarious: I just have it all in my head... I am not good with drawing out this sort of thing. I know my drawing is awful.

I looked at a lot of different options yesterday for screen and such. I will use aluminum screen on the outside (to keep out the slugs and snails we have here) and then 1/4 inch galvanized hardware cloth over that so it is strong and keeps out cats, large birds, raccoons, and skunks. These will be attached with a staple gun.

It will be 4 feet wide, 4 feet tall, and 27 inches deep. I will have it sitting up on cement blocks. We have dogs so having it on legs I was worried it would not be as stable.

The doors will be on the front closing in to the center support post. I will get a lock for each door.

I will have plants on the posts on the bottom. posts on sides will hold my branches.

IMG_4869.jpg

So I sort of have one :hilarious: I just have it all in my head... I am not good with drawing out this sort of thing. I know my drawing is awful.
That's what drawing utilities are for! Corel, Visio, Sketchup...
free drawing utilities
... but whatever works for you. (trained designer here... ?)

I looked at a lot of different options yesterday for screen and such. I will use aluminum screen on the outside (to keep out the slugs and snails we have here) and then 1/4 inch galvanized hardware cloth over that so it is strong and keeps out cats, large birds, raccoons, and skunks. These will be attached with a staple gun.
Ah... RUSTIC! ?

It will be 4 feet wide, 4 feet tall, and 27 inches deep. I will have it sitting up on cement blocks. We have dogs so having it on legs I was worried it would not be as stable.
Cross-brace the legs and it'll support your car. ?
But blocks work too.

FWIW, I'm so frustrated trying to design a custom enclosure (very long sad saga) I'm considering chucking the whole idea and buying a ready-made. ??

That's what drawing utilities are for! Corel, Visio, Sketchup...
free drawing utilities
... but whatever works for you. (trained designer here... ?)

Ah... RUSTIC! ?

Cross-brace the legs and it'll support your car. ?
But blocks work too.

FWIW, I'm so frustrated trying to design a custom enclosure (very long sad saga) I'm considering chucking the whole idea and buying a ready-made. ??
LOL yeah seems easier in my head since wood is never the size they say it is. I mess up things with wood because I think if they say 2x4 it actually is 2x4 inches.

Yeah rustic but hey its outside and I worry more about predators and the huge slugs we get here more then the look of it.

I was going to cross brace legs but I do not have the tools to make the cuts and trying to do an angled cut with a hand saw seemed like a recipe for me to lose a finger. :LOL:

LOL yeah seems easier in my head since wood is never the size they say it is. I mess up things with wood because I think if they say 2x4 it actually is 2x4 inches.
Look up some tables you like (hardwoods & softwoods) and keep a copy with your tools or tucked in a fixit book, etc. Maybe another copy in your vehicle for lumber shopping. I've got the silly things all over the place. ?

I was going to cross brace legs but I do not have the tools to make the cuts and trying to do an angled cut with a hand saw seemed like a recipe for me to lose a finger. :LOL:
As long as looks aren't paramount, attach the cross-brace, then cut off the extra—using the leg to guide the hand saw. ;)

I may have screwed up with the poly... I went to the hardware store and they do not sell water based here because he said it does not work in our damp coastal climate. So he told me to buy this one McCloskey Man O'War Spar Marine Interior & Exterior Varnish...

I just called Valcor to find out more about it. And they said 5-7 full days to cure and gas off. I mean even on their website it says it can be used on bird houses...

How bad did I screw up? :cry: @cyberlocc I know you have talked about oil based lasting longer but off gassing taking longer. Can you give me some feedback on this please.

This is what I got...
Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 8.19.24 AM.png

Last edited:
I may have screwed up with the poly... I went to the hardware store and they do not sell water based here because he said it does not work in our damp coastal climate. So he told me to buy this one McCloskey Man O'War Spar Marine Interior & Exterior Varnish...

I just called Valcor to find out more about it. And they said 5-7 full days to cure and gas off. I mean even on their website it says it can be used on bird houses...

How bad did I screw up? :cry: @cyberlocc I know you have talked about oil based lasting longer but off gassing taking longer. Can you give me some feedback on this please.

This is what I got...
View attachment 268604
Are you not able to wait the full gas off, once it has it will be far more stable than the water based. It will be dry long before that time that's when all the vocs have evaporated ?

Are you not able to wait the full gas off, once it has it will be far more stable than the water based. It will be dry long before that time that's when all the vocs have evaporated ?
I can totally wait... That is not an issue at all. But the guy said they don't test this on animals and he could not tell me if the 5-7 days would be enough. I don't know enough about any of this. :cry: So I guess I am just trying to figure out if I do one coat how long it actually takes for it to gas off and all the voc risk be gone.

Other option is sanding it all back off and ordering the water based to do it all over again but in multiple coats... trying to avoid that but if its not safe using the oil based then I will.

I couldn't say for certain not paint brand I've used but have used polyeuthane solvent paint on my fish tank build and i had cherry shrimps ok with my discus. with it being outside enclosure would surely reduce any risk furthermore.

I can totally wait... That is not an issue at all. But the guy said they don't test this on animals and he could not tell me if the 5-7 days would be enough. I don't know enough about any of this. :cry: So I guess I am just trying to figure out if I do one coat how long it actually takes for it to gas off and all the voc risk be gone.
I wouldn't blame the guy; what does he know from reptiles? I suspect he just felt out of his element and didn't want to be responsible if anything happened.

OK, I just found a (17 year-old) PDF for product 80 - 7505 (if that's it).
It says:
Dries to the touch in about 6 hours, wait 24 hours before
recoating. Dry times are longer in high humidity or cool
temperatures. Apply only when surface and air
temperatures are 50-90°F (10-32°C) during application and
drying time. Avoid application in direct sunlight or when
rain is threatening or late in the day when dew may affect
the drying time.

I just read through a whole lot on this product, but no specific curing time except a reference to several weeks before applying wax, and that was from some old salty dog (not the forum member who goes by that nom de plume) on Amazon.

I'd like to say a week should be sufficient, but TBH, I'm not familiar with this product. Wish I were.

Other option is sanding it all back off and ordering the water based to do it all over again but in multiple coats... trying to avoid that but if its not safe using the oil based then I will.
The company is pretty well-known. If it were me, I think I'd call them and ask before sanding it all off & starting over, especially if it's just a matter of a few extra days drying time, but YMMV.

Yup. No huffing, now! :ROFLMAO:
Ok so it would be "safe" to assume that after 7 days or so if I am not smelling that then Beman could go in?

Stupid question... While it is gassing off should I leave the hibiscus out of the cage? I am guessing this is a yes but just want to be sure..

Ok so it would be "safe" to assume that after 7 days or so if I am not smelling that then Beman could go in?
I would think so. The other thing in your favor is that it'll be outside, and any breeze should carry away anything residual.

Stupid question... While it is gassing off should I leave the hibiscus out of the cage? I am guessing this is a yes but just want to be sure..
There are no stupid questions. Stupid is the people that know they don't know, and won't ask. ;)
I'd leave the plants out, but I'm overly cautious.

I would think so. The other thing in your favor is that it'll be outside, and any breeze should carry away anything residual.

There are no stupid questions. Stupid is the people that know they don't know, and won't ask. ;)
I'd leave the plants out, but I'm overly cautious.
Thank you for all your help!

Wont roaches survive a nuclear bomb though?, smell test is probably best, sanding is not fun ?
Hope you can find out for sure, cant be as bad as the finishings on repurposed vintage cabinet's

Back
Top Bottom