Building questions

Actually sorry that's paint im using polyurethane is Recoat within 2 hours. If unable to do so, wait a minimum of 72 hours, then lightly sand and recoat. Apply at least three coats on unfinished wood and two coats on surfaces already finished. After final coat, allow 24 hours before normal use.

And 2 coats minimum more the better though
I would say fully cured after 72 hours so will released 99.9% of vocs
Ok perfect thank you. Pine is the cheapest wood so I will be using that. The hard woods here are really expensive. I just looked online.

The round bits of darker wood, pine can have varying amounts depending on type,, some like them for character. I dont though especially trying to hand sand them flat

The round bits of darker wood, pine can have varying amounts depending on type,, some like them for character. I dont though especially trying to hand sand them flat
See this is why I don't build stuff... LOL just when I think I understand you throw a knott into my plan. :hilarious: Sorry not much sleep last night. :hilarious:

Knots more problem if say painting say a piano gloss and want no imperfections. And the always end up popping up in awkward places

Knots more problem if say painting say a piano gloss and want no imperfections. And the always end up popping up in awkward places
Yeah but you scared me with the idea of them popping out of the wood lol. Outside it will be hard enough where I live with the moisture we get.

Have you considered making cage from Window insect screen components that fits over a large planter box with the footprint size you want cage?

Ok So I got all the wood... except the pieces for the doors because I am horrible at wood math and could not figure out what size pieces I would need. but the main framing I have. So they told me to get Douglas Fir. That it was better then the pine for the same price. Hopefully I did not mess up. Were they right? Does this need the poly urathane painted on too?

Yeah a better quality pine. will still want sealing makes your work last longer. How you constructing the frame?
I am going to pre drill holes so I don't split my wood. I got the special screws... But I realized looking at it that my screws will run into one another so I think I will need to buy brackets... Not sure yet. My brain is so fuzzy. I did not sleep all that well. Tomorrow we are supposed to have sun. I am going to try to get it put together. I still have to go back and buy the pieces for the doors I was not sure of the sizes I would need and I do not have anything to cut them with. Relying heavily on my smile with the guys at the lumber yard. lol They did not charge me for the cuts today.

I was perfect on all my sizes for the frame except for two that I have to shorten by 2 inches.

It will be 4 feet wide by 27inches deep and 4 foot tall. I am doing it as a rectangle without legs. The legs were messing with me when I was trying to figure it all out. So I will be putting it up on cement blocks to get it up off the ground.

I am hoping I have time to put the first coat of urethane on it tomorrow because we have as storm coming in and I have no where I can put it.

I would highly recommend using some water proof wood glue (makes it strong as) and have the screws as extra support and to clamp while glue dries. Good luck looking forward to seeing your project..?

I would highly recommend using some water proof wood glue and have the screws as extra support and to clamp while glue dries. Good luck looking forward to seeing your project..
I don't have clamps... :cry:

I did get the right length screws according to the man that helped me. I am going to build the side panels then the middle attaching them. I am actually handy but I do things the way I see them. And I am not skilled the way most of yall are when it comes to working with wood. Thank you for your help. If you think of any pitfalls I may fall into Please let me know. I am open to ALL feedback.

The screws clamp for the glue to set, also seals the edges that wont get painted/varnished (between joins).
Piloting the screws is a good move too stops splitting.

The screws clamp for the glue to set, also seals the edges that wont get painted/varnished (between joins).
Piloting the screws is a good move too stops splitting.
Well I will give it my best. Hopefully it will work out. I will do a few coats of varnish too. Maybe I will get lucky and it will work out ok. :LOL:

So I don't just slap it on the wood with a pain brush???? This is soooooo much for my brain lol
Actually, you pretty much do. I mean... it's an outdoor lizard cage—not the Taj MaFreakin'hal, right? :p
That's why I'd go for water-based instead of oil for this project.

Back
Top Bottom