Building questions

Beman

Social Media Manager
Staff member
Hi Everyone. I need the builders of the forum to give me some feedback.

With the pvc panels... I am so confused. I have only found them to order online. They are not carried locally. But they come in PVC Foam sheets and then I found others that just say PVC sheets.
Foam PVC sheets:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Palight...-118-in-Foam-PVC-White-Sheet-156249/205853887

Are those in fact foam? I would assume they are a firm material but I may be really wrong here. Help... I am googling pvc sheets. Is that the wrong name for them?

Ok and then when using nails and screws outside... What kind of metal do I get that will not rust? Also will any metal window screen be good or are there some that will rust. I know stupid question. :rolleyes:

And what is the wire fencing type stuff that is coated in plastic called? It is sold in rolls.

I am also curious about the pvc question.

For the screws, personally I have been using a Kreg jig apparatus to drill holes in the wood at an angle so as to hide the screws. Wood filler pegs can be glued in on top of the screws to completely conceal the metal screws. Then you can sand them down and seal the wood with whichever primer or staining treatment sufficient for you. This is definitely a complicated process, so if you dont want to bother with it, you could go another route:

Use a counterbore drill bit to drill a hole deep enough for the metal head of the screwto be embedded into the wood. Wood filler can then be placed in the hole, allowed to dry, and sanded. Continue with priming or sealing treatment.

I am using pet screen for the sides of my DIY and aluminum for the top. I am unaware if the aluminum will rust easily outdoors, but I would imagine the petscreen would be okay

I am also curious about the pvc question.

For the screws, personally I have been using a Kreg jig apparatus to drill holes in the wood at an angle so as to hide the screws. Wood filler pegs can be glued in on top of the screws to completely conceal the metal screws. Then you can sand them down and seal the wood with whichever primer or staining treatment sufficient for you. This is definitely a complicated process, so if you dont want to bother with it, you could go another route:

Use a counterbore drill bit to drill a hole deep enough for the metal head of the screwto be embedded into the wood. Wood filler can then be placed in the hole, allowed to dry, and sanded. Continue with priming or sealing treatment.

I am using pet screen for the sides of my DIY and aluminum for the top. I am unaware if the aluminum will rust easily outdoors, but I would imagine the petscreen would be okay
Thank you... But I am not skilled in wood working... don't get me wrong I am great at seeing it in my head and I am the Queen of building Ikea type furniture. But anything with a fancy name I do not have any clue. I know how to predrill a hole :hilarious: So I need rust proof because mine will all show. It will be for an outdoor enclosure too so I don't need it to look stunning but I do need it to hold up to the weather. We get quite a bit of rain and fog where I live on the northern tip of Cali on the coast.

Thank you... But I am not skilled in wood working... don't get me wrong I am great at seeing it in my head and I am the Queen of building Ikea type furniture. But anything with a fancy name I do not have any clue. I know how to predrill a hole :hilarious: So I need rust proof because mine will all show. It will be for an outdoor enclosure too so I don't need it to look stunning but I do need it to hold up to the weather. We get quite a bit of rain and fog where I live on the northern tip of Cali on the coast.
Stainless steel screws are apparently the best rust proof ones out there. Looks like they aren't too expensive at home depot also (around $5-$6 for a pack of 50 for the size I first saw online)

I think you will be better off looking up how to make a tegu enclosure, that will answer alot of your questions.

But as for your main question. You are making sides out of "sign material", not "opaque plexiglass". The material is 'foam core" or "ribbed core" or "bubble core", its all the same stuff, Expanded PVC Sheet. Its smooth pvc on the outside, and some type of pvc foam core on the inside. Its basically cardboard made of pvc. If it can handle a tegu, than it can handle a beman.

Most people frame these with painted 1x1s or 2x4s.

For a pro tip, if you dont have your heart set on a particular color, hitting up the local sign place may net you "the good stuff" meant for outdoor signage etc.

I think you will be better off looking up how to make a tegu enclosure, that will answer alot of your questions.

But as for your main question. You are making sides out of "sign material", not "opaque plexiglass". The material is 'foam core" or "ribbed core" or "bubble core", its all the same stuff, Expanded PVC Sheet. Its smooth pvc on the outside, and some type of pvc foam core on the inside. Its basically cardboard made of pvc. If it can handle a tegu, than it can handle a beman.

Most people frame these with painted 1x1s or 2x4s.

For a pro tip, if you dont have your heart set on a particular color, hitting up the local sign place may net you "the good stuff" meant for outdoor signage etc.
So is this the right stuff? And when they say 0.118 thickness that is equivalent to 1/8th of an inch right? https://www.interstateplastics.com/...0.118&qty=1&recalculate.x=24&recalculate.y=20

Most of our stores here are closed still. I made a few calls yesterday and the ones that are open either do not carry it or had no clue what I was talking about. I will try a sign shop. So thank you for that!

So is this the right stuff? And when they say 0.118 thickness that is equivalent to 1/8th of an inch right? https://www.interstateplastics.com/Pvc-Expanded-White-Sheet-PVCWX~~SH.php?sku=PVCWX++SH&vid=20200603153057-4p&dim2=30&dim3=48&thickness=0.118&qty=1&recalculate.x=24&recalculate.y=20

Most of our stores here are closed still. I made a few calls yesterday and the ones that are open either do not carry it or had no clue what I was talking about. I will try a sign shop. So thank you for that!

Another place is https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23330

Most people use 1/4" if framed, or 1/2" if just gluing/screwing the panels to each other with no framing. But then you are talking $100-200 per 4x8ft sheet depending on thickness. I have not worked with the really thin stuff like 1/8". At that thickness i would look into "polywall" which is solid, that they use to make rv bathrooms out of. Its generic name is PVC FRP wall board. Its indestructible, but is not self supporting so it needs a frame.

As for your last question, its vinyl coated hardware cloth for " wire fencing type stuff that is coated in plastic "

Here is some pro's working with the 1/2" stuff and no frame.

Another place is https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23330

Most people use 1/4" if framed, or 1/2" if just gluing/screwing the panels to each other with no framing. But then you are talking $100-200 per 4x8ft sheet depending on thickness. I have not worked with the really thin stuff like 1/8". At that thickness i would look into "polywall" which is solid, that they use to make rv bathrooms out of. Its generic name is PVC FRP wall board. Its indestructible, but is not self supporting so it needs a frame.

As for your last question, its vinyl coated hardware cloth for " wire fencing type stuff that is coated in plastic "

Here is some pro's working with the 1/2" stuff and no frame.

Yes... I am thinking the 1/8 inch stuff to replace screen panels in a cage. So it will be getting hooked to the current frame. I know it would be thinner which I need so it goes between panels. I will try that other link as well.

@nightanole YOU ARE AWESOME!!!! So I called a local sign business. He would sell me a sheet of it for $60 and cut it to the exact sizes I would need. Thank you so much for mentioning this. I never would have thought of it.

@nightanole YOU ARE AWESOME!!!! So I called a local sign business. He would sell me a sheet of it for $60 and cut it to the exact sizes I would need. Thank you so much for mentioning this. I never would have thought of it.

Next up i can teach you how to trick the local cabinet shop into making really high quality knock down speaker cabinets for cheap :)

Next up i can teach you how to trick the local cabinet shop into making really high quality knock down speaker cabinets for cheap :)
That's pretty much how I got my beardie enclosure cut knocked down out of baltic birch for less than I could have bought regular plywood uncut. :rolleyes:
...But you didn't hear it from me!

are you making an outside enclosure? sorry if i missed that. we've been building outside enclosures recently and are using 1/4 galvanized hardware cloth. I wish I found smaller, as I dont want any issues with tongues... but I think 1/4" will be ok. I would not use window/door screen as it won't hold up to weight, damage, etc., which is especially important if its an outdoor enclosure.

We're using a combination of PVC and wood fencing that we cut into strips. The wood fencing was significantly cheaper than finished wood, and its a good material to combat rot w/o chemicals (oak or cedar are both good for this). The PVC is actually extra traxx flooring we had from replacing our porch deck. PVC is a little costly, but once you compare it to the cost of wood and the required treatment/paint/sealant/etc, it evens out. We used a combination of stuff - but any exterior nails and screws will work. Home Depot will have them marked for indoor/outdoor.

I found some PVC sheets on FB marketplace pretty cheap. The snake guys buy it up to make their own enclosures, so you may be able to find some there or on CL.

are you making an outside enclosure? sorry if i missed that. we've been building outside enclosures recently and are using 1/4 galvanized hardware cloth. I wish I found smaller, as I dont want any issues with tongues... but I think 1/4" will be ok. I would not use window/door screen as it won't hold up to weight, damage, etc., which is especially important if its an outdoor enclosure.

We're using a combination of PVC and wood fencing that we cut into strips. The wood fencing was significantly cheaper than finished wood, and its a good material to combat rot w/o chemicals (oak or cedar are both good for this). The PVC is actually extra traxx flooring we had from replacing our porch deck. PVC is a little costly, but once you compare it to the cost of wood and the required treatment/paint/sealant/etc, it evens out. We used a combination of stuff - but any exterior nails and screws will work. Home Depot will have them marked for indoor/outdoor.

I found some PVC sheets on FB marketplace pretty cheap. The snake guys buy it up to make their own enclosures, so you may be able to find some there or on CL.

I have a few projects in the works... So I want to build an outdoor enclosure. I am thinking of using window screen to keep the slugs and snails out of the cage. Then the plastic coated or hardware cloth over that to keep the large birds, racoons, and skunks from tearing into it.

I found some excellent branches for it. So anchoring to a few points to mount 1 or 2 of them so it is more like a tree maybe. I dunno I still have not worked out size of enclosure yet. Then hibiscus for plants.

I do not have a home depot or lowes here so I am dealing with local hardware stores... They have limited selection which makes this a bit harder.

Attachments

• IMG_4861.jpg
    IMG_4861.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_4860.jpg
    IMG_4860.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_4859.jpg
    IMG_4859.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_4858.jpg
    IMG_4858.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 117
The base in reptibteeze looks alot like floor protection antinox
Foamex is what im using for my background you can also get it printed on.
Polycarbonate could be used also available clear like perspex

Another option is corex which is popular in uk as it is good insulation, but isnt very attractive if you ask me and would worry germs could build up in corrugated bits. I was going to start a thread about materials as pvc has some issues. Nb polycarbonate contains bpa i believe might need to research if thats issue.
Heres what i found about pvc though:https://www.greenpeace.org/usa/wp-c...usa/report/2009/4/pvc-the-poison-plastic.html
It could be something to aim for a safe list for building materials like the plant list eg cedar wood not safe etc

It could be something to aim for a safe list for building materials like the plant list eg cedar wood not safe etc
One of the safest materials that could be used is the plastic most commonly used in hobby 3D printing—PLA—made from plant starches such as corn, sugarcane or sugar beets. Nontoxic in its final (solid) form, it's recyclable and biodegradable (albeit slowly).

So what about the wood type??? What would I buy that would hold up outside? They have kiln dried, treated, pine, and a ton more. :rolleyes: Wish I was a carpenter...

So what about the wood type??? What would I buy that would hold up outside? They have kiln dried, treated, pine, and a ton more. :rolleyes: Wish I was a carpenter...

Well you dont want treated...

Pine is fine once its painted or sealed. I mean think of all the decks outside. If you want to go with something a bit denser but not super expensive, you also have poplar. You are in CA so you might even have some local hardwood even cheaper. Its an arm and a leg for cypress mulch up here in the snow.

But honestly i think good old pine and a coat of urethane would be your best bet.

Well you dont want treated...

Pine is fine once its painted or sealed. I mean think of all the decks outside. If you want to go with something a bit denser but not super expensive, you also have poplar. You are in CA so you might even have some local hardwood even cheaper. Its an arm and a leg for cypress mulch up here in the snow.

But honestly i think good old pine and a coat of urethane would be your best bet.
Do I have to coat pine if it is outside?

I agree with NOT treated, and sealing with urethane might be best.
In general, hardwoods are safe, softwoods are not (exceptions to both).
There are a lot of lists: reptile safe wood

Back
Top Bottom